Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

More G70 Questions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 06, 2017 1:29 am    Post subject: More G70 Questions Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Since I still have the two monsters living in the basement, can a G70 power up with just one tube connected? For grins, I would like to rebuild one of the non-working G70's I have.

I was thinking about moving my working G70's PA board and Deflection board (E board?) into the non working set and going from there. I only have one full set of tubes though, so I don't want to be careless. I was hoping that I could hook up my burned blue tube just to see that it fires up like it should before I start moving everything else over. Thoughts?
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 06, 2017 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THe main deflection yoke needs to be connected to the set even if you take the tubes out. the rest can stay disconnected.
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 20, 2017 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Curt!

Another question! The installer manual states that the ventilation holes need to be 12 inches from floor or ceiling. I plan on mounting this beast to my ceiling with the mount more or less flush against the ceiling. Is that enough room, or do I need to lower it?
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 20, 2017 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do what the manual says. If you can't manage 12 inches of spacing, you need to provide for a means to enhance cooling. That usually means to install some fans as part of your mounting system.
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 20, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
Do what the manual says. If you can't manage 12 inches of spacing, you need to provide for a means to enhance cooling. That usually means to install some fans as part of your mounting system.

That's what my thought was too. However, if you see the PSS-70 installation manual, you'll see that they show the mount installed flush to a ceiling. I can only guess that if you hang the G70 from the mount, that the ventilation holes must clear that distance.

Anyone else with thoughts? I'm going to mount the G70 to the factory mount that's going to be more-or-less flush with the ceiling. I'm not near any walls in the rear of the projector, but since I'm mounting with the PSS-70, should I be safe? I guess I'll consult the manual for the mount again.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 20, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since airflow is front to back on these, I can't see why you can't have it butted right up to the ceiling. Me, I don't read manuals. Very Happy

Seriously though, virtually all CRT projectors in a typical home are flush to the ceiling, with no issues.
AFryia

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 26, 2017 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

6 years tight to the ceiling and 8+ years inside a box without a problem.

IMO you'll be OK.

cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 26, 2017 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Marquees have a vent on their baseplate. G90s do not have a vented baseplate.

Not sure about the G70. Never looked. But that should tell the tale. If the baseplate is vented, not blocking
that vent is probably a good idea.
AFryia

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 27, 2017 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
If the baseplate is vented, not blocking
that vent is probably a good idea.
No problem, a G70 just sucks air in around the lenses past the tubes, through the cage, and out the back.
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 27, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, thinking about doing a "chassis swap". I have a newer G70 and an older G70. Currently the older one is functional. But I have more "newer" parts. Like the focus board, for example, is the new style. That kind of thing

I was thinking about moving my PA board and Deflection board into the new chassis, and leaving everything else as-is. That should work, right? Is anything else on the G70 non-interchangeable?

Am I correct in that when the PA board is "calibrated to the set" - it means that the PA board is matched to the Deflection board right? So if I move the PA Board and the Deflection board over, the set should power up just fine right? I won't be moving any of the power boards in the rear-right corner of the projector. The CPU boards won't move either as I want to know how many hours are on the other set.

Any "gotchas" coming my way by doing this? I guess what will happen in practice will be:

1. Remove PA board and Defletion board (I can't remember the name of it for the life of me right now) from "new" set.
2. Place working PA board and Deflection board in the "new" set
3. Move tubes and neckboards over to "new" set
4. Move B board over to new set so that the neckboards and b-board are matching
5. Move DC board over to new set (new set's DC board is shot)

... And is that it?
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to report that I tried the chassis swap and it didn't work. The other chassis didn't like the new PA board. Oh well.

Now, another question - I know that to minimize electronic correction, sometimes it's necessary to rotate the deflection yokes. What's the secret to that? For the G70, would it be that you adjust the deflection yoke so that the minimum amount of skew adjustment is needed to make the crosshair pattern square with the screen?
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zero out convergence and geometry adjustments.

Obtain a laser projector level. Your local big box hardware outlet has them.

Get out your bubble level and make sure the projector is levelled, side to side.

Project the alignment grid pattern and rotate the yoke until the horizontal center line
is parallel with the line from the laser projector level. Tighten down the screw, not too much.

Do this for all three tubes.

Then, check your screen to be sure it's level as well.
AFryia

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbltecnicspro wrote:
Now, another question - I know that to minimize electronic correction, sometimes it's necessary to rotate the deflection yokes. What's the secret to that? For the G70, would it be that you adjust the deflection yoke so that the minimum amount of skew adjustment is needed to make the crosshair pattern square with the screen?

If you are going that far and are comfortable I'd recommend adjusting the CPC magnets (tabs on a G70). For me that minimized drift I was seeing as the PJ warmed up.

cmjohnson wrote:

I would add some settings set to mid span i.e. ZONE set those to 128. I believe if you have the newer firmware there is actually a zone reset; don't quote me it's been awhile.

cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By zero out, I mean set them all to the middle of their range. Not quite the same as setting them all to zero.

Just want to clarify that.
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFryia wrote:
jbltecnicspro wrote:

If you are going that far and are comfortable I'd recommend adjusting the CPC magnets (tabs on a G70). For me that minimized drift I was seeing as the PJ warmed up.

cmjohnson wrote:

I would add some settings set to mid span i.e. ZONE set those to 128. I believe if you have the newer firmware there is actually a zone reset; don't quote me it's been awhile.

I've never adjusted the CPC magnets. Is there a procedure (other than the service manual) that I can reference to get me started?

Regarding the Zone Reset - you're correct. With my 1.10 Firmware, if you go to the Zone adjustments screen and hit the Reset button, the OS gives you an option to reset all zones to 128.

And yes, Chris is right. For Sony's "nulling" out the settings means getting them back to 128. Too bad there isn't a "128-all" option. And it's too bad that "128" is effectively "0". Why they couldn't just make 128 "0" and have positive adjustments simply be "+1" and negative adjustments be "-1" etc, is beyond me. It would have made it more clear for newbies. And it would have given you an idea as to how far out of range you were getting (ie - it's not desirable to let an adjustment go as far as 40 or 220, for example).
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Primer on CPC magnet adjustments here:

http://www.curtpalme.com/Astig.shtm
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume it'a a good idea to do both deflection yoke adjustment and CPC while the projector is on the floor and not the ceiling?
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually it's best to align ALL the magnetics, and that includes the CPC rings, when the projector is in its installed position.

The reason for this is earth's magnetic field. Change the orientation of the projector and it can slightly but noticeable affect the
magnetic alignment. You can even see this by facing the projector one way, levelling the deflection yoke with a laser line projector level, then turn it in a different direction, checking it, and finding that level is no longer quite as level.

The difference won't be major but it can be seen.
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, biggest concern I have is that the G70 - when ceiling mounted - is thermally challenged. I'm not a pro and this would be my first time doing the CPC magnets, so it will take me some time. I don't want to have the chassis open all that time while performing these adjustments. Right?
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not worry about it. What you lose in ducted airflow with the case open is likely more than offset by the free-flowing convection currents that you get with the cover off.

My Marquee in my HT room has been running with the covers OFF for quite some time now. It runs cooler with no covers than
buttoned up with airflow being directed through its engineered airflow system.

I've noted the same thing with my G90s. Cover off and hatch lifted, it runs cooler in the tube box than if it's buttoned up and I then open it and check in the tube box.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: