Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Rogue One and Magical Beasts

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Movie & Media Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:39 pm    Post subject: Rogue One and Magical Beasts Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Watched these two movies this weekend and enjoyed them both. I really liked K2SO's mannerisms and pseudo intellect. Many catchy lines in that movie, including "I Find That Answer Vague And Unconvincing."

And I had to wonder about what Grindelwald meant by: Will we die, just a little? IS this something JK is suggesting in the way of a horcrux?

While I watched both of these in Blu-ray, i think I will need to watch them a second time. But what i really wanted to say was that these two movies, both tangential stories of their respective franchises, did a good job at making their own movies.

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K2SO could have stolen the movie. Of all Star Wars droids, I'd prefer to have him as my sidekick/assistant over all others.

Rogue One started with what was, to me, a distinctly un-star-wars-like visual look to it. As the movie progressed I don't know if I just got used to it or if it actually changed to be more like what we are used to. But it ended up there.

Until seeing it you have no idea when it takes place, not exactly. At the end of it you realize that A New Hope could have started the very next day.

I found the use of "Kyber Crystals" to be rather interesting, as those are artifacts of the extended universe, though originally
they were named Kaiburr crystals and were found in some of the extended universe books way back in the early 80s.

What is most notable about it for me is the CGI of Grand Moff Tarkin and also that of Princess Leia. Those scenes have convinced me that the day has finally arrived where digital renditions of younger versions of living actors, or dead ones, can now be done very convincingly. Your career as an actor no longer has to end when YOU do. That may be a watershed event for the movie industry, although it's not getting a lot of notoriety just yet.

I did not disbelieve in Leia or Tarkin as they appeared in the movie. I knew they were CGI and I bought it anyway.
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
At the end of it you realize that A New Hope could have started the very next day.

It did. I liked the way it rolled right into the original classic story from my near-childhood. Jesus that was 40 years ago...

Quote:
What is most notable about it for me is the CGI of Grand Moff Tarkin and also that of Princess Leia. Those scenes have convinced me that the day has finally arrived where digital renditions of younger versions of living actors, or dead ones, can now be done very convincingly.

I could easily tell Tarkin was CGI. Leia was a bit harder but I could still see it. But I know what to look for. I'm sure for 80% or more of the viewing audience, they had no idea what was going on. (Or they just shrugged and accepted it as CGI, just like all the spaceships and city scenes.) They weren't 100% lifelike, but they were getting damn close.

Which is going to raise some interesting questions for Hollywood. Are all actors' contracts going to start including clauses covering use of the actor's likeness, even if the actor didn't perform it?

Last edited by garyfritz on Mon May 01, 2017 6:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, the CGI of Leia and Tarkin was not quite absolutely realistic, but that was because, to my eye, they didn't have quite the
mobility of real faces. Every expression movement was planned out and that didn't quite look as real as a real actor with all the subtle miniscule facial movements that come from doing pretty much anything.

Audrey Hepburn's likeness was used in some commercials just a year or two back. It was pretty convincing, too.
A deal was made between Hepburn's estate and the companies that made the ad, and the estate did get compensated for it,
which MAY have been the first time a dead actor was paid for a performance he or she never made while alive.

I'm sure that will happen more often. There will be times when we're happy to see it, other times when we are disturbed that they
dared to desecrate the memory of beloved actors with such trash.

I loved the Abbott & Costello movies. But do I want to see digital zombie necromovies of them created today? Not sure...
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I would. It's not hard to duplicate what Carrie Fisher looked like in 1976, and have "her" deliver lines that Carrie never did. That makes sense for a brief scene that needs to bring back a well-known character for a few lines.

But A&C were hilarious because of their zaniness and their interaction. You could make digital zombies that LOOK like them, but without their wacky and unique comic genius, you could never create the same kind of experience. It might be entertaining, but it wouldn't be Bud and Lou. And if it's not them, there's no reason to make it look like them.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 01, 2017 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's that LIKE button? You nailed it.

The image is only a part of the actor's complete package.
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 01, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
Which is going to raise some interesting questions for Hollywood. Are all actors' contracts going to start including clauses covering use of the actor's likeness, even if the actor didn't perform it?

Just saw an article on that very topic:
http://www.cinemablend.com/news/1653449/carrie-fishers-star-wars-performance-may-cause-actors-to-plan-for-cgi-after-their-deaths

And BTW I said the CGI Leia was passably convincing. But look at the still in that article -- it looks like something from a Shrek movie.
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
Agreed, the CGI of Leia and Tarkin was not quite absolutely realistic, but that was because, to my eye, they didn't have quite the
mobility of real faces. Every expression movement was planned out and that didn't quite look as real as a real actor with all the subtle miniscule facial movements that come from doing pretty much anything.
just give it a few months

cmjohnson wrote:
I found the use of "Kyber Crystals" to be rather interesting, as those are artifacts of the extended universe, though originally
they were named Kaiburr crystals and were found in some of the extended universe books way back in the early 80s. .
holy crap, you're a Nerd CJ? Shocked bowl me over with a frickin feather
View user's photo album (2 photos)
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wear many hats. Luthier. electronics tech, horseman, audio/videophile, resident jackass, socially stunted ADD victim, nerd....maybe more.
DarkKnight83

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so pathetic. I haven't had the chance to watch Rogue One.
DarkKnight83

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so pathetic. I haven't had the chance to watch Rogue One.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Movie & Media Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: