Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Weird BDP-S580 issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Weird BDP-S580 issue Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Good morning all,

So I've been experiencing some weird issues with my Sony BDP-S580's HDMI output.

Currently, as I type this, it's working fine. My current setup is the BDP-S580 -> HDFury2 -> Yamaha DPX-1200 (it's HDMI port doesn't work). I'm running at 720p, which is the native resolution of the projector.

Last week, I went over to my buddies house to calibrate his 4K television. I brought the player over to use as a source at 1080p. However, when I connected the player to the TV, the TV would only display at 720p and 1080i. Any time I selected the 1080p resolution, it didn't display.

Thinking it was the cable, we switched cables to no avail. We were also connected to a Yamaha receiver, so we connected directly to the TV, also to no avail. All the while, 720p and 1080i display, but 1080p does not. So we gave up and dug out his old blu ray player and used that as a source (and left it plugged in after I was done).

I was also doing some tinkering with the HDFury 2 hooked up to my G70, and I was noticing a similar trend. Whenever I selected 1080p on the BDP-S580, it wouldn't display. The HDFury 2 just blinked, indicating it wasn't receiving a signal.

Last evening, I brought the player over to my in-laws' house to watch the new Lego Batman movie that I had rented. And this time, the HDMI wouldn't even output to the TV - no matter what resolution was selected. It simply didn't work.

What could be going on? Am I at the receiving end of an HDCP issue? Or is my HDMI output on my BDP-S580 damaged? I've already reset the unit to no avail. The only thing I can think of at this point is that I have an HDCP handshake problem (but I'm not sure why 1080p would have an issue?) or I need to reflash the firmware. What do you guys think? Any other tests I can run on the device? I, sadly, don't have any devices, other than the HDFury 2, that can take HDMI. Sad
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I got ahold of a service manual and there is indeed a service mode for this unit. Shows error codes, etc. And even allows for a factory initialize, so there may be hope in getting this working again. I will update as updates become available.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird issue. Almost sounds like a software issue. Also pshically check the HDMI port to make sure no damage/ctacks/bent pins etcetera

One more thought. Have you tried changing the start up order of the devices? TV first, then receiver, then Bluray?

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
Weird issue. Almost sounds like a software issue. Also pshically check the HDMI port to make sure no damage/ctacks/bent pins etcetera

Okay, I'll inspect it some more. Maybe this is the issue.

Quote:
One more thought. Have you tried changing the start up order of the devices? TV first, then receiver, then Bluray?

Not sure what you mean by this, as I don't have a receiver that can take HDMI nor a TV. It's just the blu ray player > HD-Fury2. And whenever I hook it into a friend's house, it's usually the blu ray player > TV directly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: