Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

WTB: Blue tube (07MP) for Sony VPH-1271Q
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Buy & Sell
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmetal88

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: WTB: Blue tube (07MP) for Sony VPH-1271Q Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I bought a Sony VPH-1271Q from a local seller and, while it's usable, the blue tube has poor focus and some visible burn-in. So I'm looking for a new or near-mint blue tube for the projector, as I don't think the one that's in there will be usable for too much longer.

I'd like to see pictures before committing to buying anything. For the ideal case (brand new, completely unused) I'd go up to $100 including shipping (to Derby KS 67037).

EDIT: On second thought, I don't think a used one in good shape would be too bad a deal at $100, either. Just let me know if you have something and hopefully we can come to an agreement!

Thanks!
Rattanee

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The blue tube is usually de-focused on CRT PJ-s intentionally. I'd think that's what you're seeing, I'd say only get a new tube if the burn is bad enough to bother you on-screen. (Since the blue is the lowest intensity, I found I could live with some amount of burn.)

Cheers

jmetal88

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rattanee wrote:
The blue tube is usually de-focused on CRT PJ-s intentionally. I'd think that's what you're seeing, I'd say only get a new tube if the burn is bad enough to bother you on-screen. (Since the blue is the lowest intensity, I found I could live with some amount of burn.)

Cheers

Oh, I didn't realize the de-focus was intentional. Hmm.

The burn-in does bother me a little, although I find if I reduce the overall brightness to about 30% it's almost undetectable. Still, I think it would be a good idea to keep a spare on hand since it's going to get beyond usability sooner or later.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also pull the lens off the front of the set ( The power supply has to be loosened and pulled out to do this).

There's an air gap between the lens and the tube face on all tubes, and the HV section sits right by the blue tube. If the set has enough hours on it to wear the blue tube, then it most likely has pulled in some dust between the lens and the tube. Clean the back of the lens and the front of the tube, and I'll bet some defocusing and sharpness will come back.

The blue tube is defocused, but not ridiculously so. that's to get more brightness out of the blue tube as it's the dimmest. You generally defocus to get 20% more brightness out of the tube, and your eyes don't really see that the blue tube is defocused. If you're seeing halos around bright objects though, that's usually due to dust buildup. If the blue tube is bad, then do the red and green lenses too.
jmetal88

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Also pull the lens off the front of the set ( The power supply has to be loosened and pulled out to do this).

There's an air gap between the lens and the tube face on all tubes, and the HV section sits right by the blue tube. If the set has enough hours on it to wear the blue tube, then it most likely has pulled in some dust between the lens and the tube. Clean the back of the lens and the front of the tube, and I'll bet some defocusing and sharpness will come back.

The blue tube is defocused, but not ridiculously so. that's to get more brightness out of the blue tube as it's the dimmest. You generally defocus to get 20% more brightness out of the tube, and your eyes don't really see that the blue tube is defocused. If you're seeing halos around bright objects though, that's usually due to dust buildup. If the blue tube is bad, then do the red and green lenses too.

I'll give it a shot and see if that makes me any happier with the current tube... Like I said, though, I think I still want a spare, since that burn-in is only going to get worse over time.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I have anything left for tubes for the 12XX series, but I'll check when I'm back in town on Weds.
jmetal88

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cleaning the back of the lens assembly did help the focus. The dust was kind of caked on, though, so unfortunately the cleaning process left some hairline scratches in the lens, but considering they seem to affect the picture a lot less than the dust did, I'd say it was a good call to do the cleaning.

The red and green *may* benefit from the same procedure, but since they still look sharper than the post-cleaning blue, I'm reluctant to do so yet.
jmetal88

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incidentally, I took the time while the lens was off to compare my burn-in to your chart... Looking at the face of the tube, it about matches your picture for the 5, maybe approaching a 4. Functionally, it would seem to match more your description of a 6.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked and I forgot that the box labels don't match the tubes inside.

What I have are SD-187s. Brand new, red, green, and blue.

I believe that the SD-187 is fully interchangeable with an 07M type.

Perhaps Curt can give you more authoritative details on that.
jmetal88

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
I checked and I forgot that the box labels don't match the tubes inside.

What I have are SD-187s. Brand new, red, green, and blue.

I believe that the SD-187 is fully interchangeable with an 07M type.

Perhaps Curt can give you more authoritative details on that.

Hmm, it looks like the SD-187 is supposed to be interchangeable with the 07MS, but mine are 07MP, which I think are a bigger tube. I don't think those will work. Sad
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think you're right. Only Sony would call an 8" tube an 07.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BARCO-By-Sony-07MSP-B-BLUE-CRT-PROJECTOR-TUBE-/391501188324?hash=item5b274a0ce4:g:ax8AAOxyRhBS-pbY

The very thing you seek.
jmetal88

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
Here you go!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BARCO-By-Sony-07MSP-B-BLUE-CRT-PROJECTOR-TUBE-/391501188324?hash=item5b274a0ce4:g:ax8AAOxyRhBS-pbY

The very thing you seek.

I did see that, unfortunately at more than twice the price I can put down on this right now. :/
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few connections for surplus CRTs. I will see of any of them might have what you need.
jmetal88

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
I have a few connections for surplus CRTs. I will see of any of them might have what you need.

Thank you! I appreciate what you're doing to help me out here.
jmetal88

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
If the blue tube is bad, then do the red and green lenses too.

Well, I couldn't help myself and after I said I might not do it, I went ahead and cleaned the red and green as well. Dust on the green was pretty bad, but came off easier than the blue tube. There wasn't much dust on the red. But cleaning those two didn't really do anything to improve the focus on either one.

Unfortunately, while looking in the blue lens again, I saw what looks like a chip out of the center of one of the pieces of glass! I guess I won't worry about it since it doesn't seem to be making a shadow or anything. It's not on the front or back surface, so it's somewhere inside the lens assembly. Makes me wonder how that would've happened or if it was maybe like that from the factory.
jmetal88

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I'm fairly sure I'm not getting a new blue tube for this for quite some time (maybe even long enough that a full projector upgrade will be an option by then), so I'm attempting the 'wear evening' described on Curt's website. I have my laptop hooked up and drew some polygons on a full-screen Inkscape canvas to mask out the already burned-in area so I can hopefully get the rest of the tube to match. That doesn't do anything to help the focus, of course, but I'll definitely be happier with this projector if the colors are more even.
jmetal88

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just discovered that I actually have a VPH-1272Q, not a VPH-1271Q, so the 07MSP would actually be the correct tube. Although I've pretty much learned to live with the burn-in by now. I am not sure how I never noticed until now that the number printed on my projector doesn't actually match the number printed on my manual. xD
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either tube will work, although the MSP may be a bit sharper . THe focus voltage between the tubes is different, so you`ll have to adjust the focus pot to get proper focusing.
Meemil

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
My old Sony has a very low wear blue 07msp, but it unfortunately has a spot burn line in the middle. I didn't find it that distracting as it's blue, but spot burn is still a damned thing. I'd be willing to give it out super cheap if interested.

I also have old spare 07mp but I don't think it'd be much of an improvement to your current one haha.

Cheers
Eemil
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Buy & Sell All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: