Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

What are your plans for CRT and the near future?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ElTopo

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
CRT + digital in 2017

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Cine9 is waiting to be lifted to the ceiling Thumbs Up

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am ashamed to admit that in the next week I will be picking up both another Marquee Ultra and another G90.

But the G90 has under 2000 hours on it. Very Happy
ElTopo

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New LUG's in mine Laughing

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So do mine...ALL OF THEM. I have spare sets of new LUGs, both in Marquee hardware and unmounted, just waiting to be put into service or sold to someone who needs them.

I have TOO MANY red LUG tubes. I'm about to recycle about a dozen that have a super faint wear pattern on them, simply because they're not as good as the roughly 18 I have that are new. On those tubes I'm going to recycle, the wear pattern, though very faint, would cross over the borders of a 16x9 raster area and even if I sold them for 20 bucks a tube, SOMEBODY would gripe about it!
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dochlywd wrote:
I have both the JVC and Sony G90/Lumagen 3D set up in my basement. I used to only use the G90 for movie watching and use the JVC for everything else. About two years ago, I had to remodel my basement due to water back up and switched from the Stewart Videomatte 2.0 to a Vutec Silverstar because I wanted increased brightness for the 3D. I also made some changes to my front wall which made me move the screen forward and projector back. Surprisingly, I was able to line it all up really super close where convergence barely needed touched and I was able to improve a little of the corner focus. However, due to the new screen, the color is off as well as electronic focus I'm sure not being as tight as it could be. Now, I must tell you that Craig Rounds did the original install/set up and is the only one that has touched it since so you know that I was spoiled prior to the remodel. Truth of the matter is, I can't even remember the last time I have fired up the G90. This brings me to the struggle of spending the money to have Craig back out to dial it in V.S. applying that money to an upgraded digital. Craig is the best in the biz and worth every penny for his crazy good ability to get the most out of a system but I now use the calibrated JVC RS1/Lumagen for everything(except 3d of course) and have been satisfied. I do miss the smoothness and "hug" that my eyes felt when watching the G90 but its been so long now that I am contemplating selling the G90 set up and just upgrading to a 3d JVC. The problem is that this G90 is what started this whole journey with me many years ago so it would be like breaking up with my "first love"!! SmileSmile

Maybe my G90 and I should go on the Jerry Springer show!!!

Doc

Which JVC do you have?
larryp

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When my 1272 dies It's the last crt for me. I put a Samsung ks8000 in the bedroom & it has a incredible picture.
Probably get one in place of the Sony in the living room.
greg9518lc

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Rs520 and I use it for htpc and off air tv as well as a 46" flat panel. All movies go through my modded 9518lc. Can't wait for the day digital actually out performs a properly setup crt. Guess I am bisaed but since I sell digital and own crt I guess I am in the know. Thanks to the latest mod development crt is still the king. CRT is reality and digital will always be just a window looking in. It's all about the phosphor.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spank, I currently have a RS1 with a new bulb calibrated through the Lumagen next to my G90. I don't have that trained of an eye so it looks great to me. I found a good deal ($400 with only a couple hundred hours) on a X35 3D last August that has been sitting on the shelf on the storage side of my basement. Having that sitting there and never using the G90 is why I go back and forth on making the decision to just go straight digital.

Doc
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dochlywd wrote:
Spank, I currently have a RS1 with a new bulb calibrated through the Lumagen next to my G90. I don't have that trained of an eye so it looks great to me. I found a good deal ($400 with only a couple hundred hours) on a X35 3D last August that has been sitting on the shelf on the storage side of my basement. Having that sitting there and never using the G90 is why I go back and forth on making the decision to just go straight digital.

Doc

Does the Lumagen allow the user to calibrate the primaries? If it does, then that's probably why you don't notice that big of a difference. Going off memory, I believe the RS1's color gamut is a bit exaggerated and falls too far outside of Rec .709. The result is that the colors, uncalibrated, look more neon and fake than natural. But if your Lumagen can reign in the exaggerated colors on the RS1, then I would think that you probably wouldn't notice that big of a difference between it and your G90, since the RS1's native contrast of 15,000:1 is still hardly anything to brush off.
Pzyked

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had Sony G90 for a long time, and went digital this year. Sad
Got a JVC RS520. A huge positive upgrade, and don't miss my G90 yet.
I always said that my CRT was more real than digitals, don't say that no more.

But will hang on to the G90, everybody says wow just seeing the G90 without picture. Its so dam big.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now own a G90 that was previously owned by Sylvester Stallone. Not sure if that adds value to the unit.
Its red and blue tubes have no wear, the green had light even 16:9 pattern wear. I have replaced that tube already.

Only 1999 hours on it.

I added a dark green C element to it as well.

That makes SIX G90s...and eight Marquees.

I am now at the point where I can't watch any movies because there are too many projectors blocking the light path! Confused

Remember those photos of that room with a wall full of G90s and G70s and other CRT projectors in storage in their own
little cubbyholes in the shelving along the walls? It's starting to look kind of like that in my warehouse. But not as fancy.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...this is my garage as of this moment.

Yes, I do have red C elements (and dark greens, too) for those projectors that are not so equipped as of yet.

I guess you could say I'm not ready to ditch CRT just yet. No surprise to anyone who knows me at all.

8 projectors.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  203.87 KB
 Viewed:  8283 Time(s)

8 projectors.jpg

Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do your parents park their cars?
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My father is still quite dead so I don't think it matters. My mother parks her car in her garage.
km987654

TV/Projector: Barco BG809s

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
My father is still quite dead so I don't think it matters. My mother parks her car in her garage.

You know I don't think that picture is going to be a rare one. Those of us still interested will probably have several sets and as the number of us continues to shrink only those that have many sets will be left so its possible that your picture may represent the norm for us. Thumbs Up
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could be right. I just shipped a G70 to a guy who basically collects G70s.

If you are still a CRT enthusiast and plan to stick with it for some time to come
it makes sense to have a source of spare parts.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you get them for free, I wouldn't stockpile too much however as some of the components degrade over time when not even in use. Electrolytic caps are a great example. Unless someone is handy with a soldering iron and knows how to test them or is willing to shotgun recap an entire board, no point in having too many projectors as 20-30 years from now (possibly less) many of those caps are all going to be long dead.

The good news is that many models were over engineered/built like tanks so they knew the caps would degrade over time such that the units were built for a long MTBF. Ie: overdo the the farads by a factor of 2-3 (assumption is the cap's only used for filtering of course). There's a limit how far you can go however. Some of the higher end CRT projectors that people covet may be over 20 years old. Examples:

Model (year introduced)

Electrohome Marquee (1993)
Sony G70/G90 (1997)
Barco 1209 (1995)

All that to say that you can't expect to put in an nearly unused (or even new) board into a projector 10-20 years from now and expect it to still work. That's even true today to some degree with some models.

Some models have parts that are no longer available too. The Sony G90 Dallas Chip is a good example. Always good to try and have spares of those.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dallas chips are available. I've bought fresh ones within the last couple of months.

I'm personally very competent with a soldering iron, and today solid state caps with a very long
working lifespan in values useful in these projectors are available.

I will shotgun all the caps on a board without hesitation. That's 53
caps in a stock Marquee LVPS. 2 hours labor.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I thought Dallas chips were no longer manufactured. Or maybe I'm confusing this with some other part? Was it the Dallas chip that (for some time) was the Achilles heal of the G90 as they weren't available/made anymore?

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: