Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

What are your plans for CRT and the near future?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: What are your plans for CRT and the near future? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Just curious.

What are your plans regarding CRT projection and your viewing, over the reasonable/foreseeable future?

Ready to uninstall the three-eyed beast and go to the (always darker with every new generation) grey side yet?
Going to stick with the CRT projector until the tubes are degraded to the point of low picture quality or it breaks and
you can't find spares or someone to fix it for a fair price?

I myself seem to be more deeply committed to CRT than ever. Not because I planned to do this (in fact I did not!) but because I have been availing myself of the opportunity to buy former flagship models for, in some cases, a little bit of nothing.

A year ago I had a set of spares for my one Marquee 9500LC.

Today I have over a dozen Marquees and G90s.

One thing that has encouraged me to do this is that I have sources for tubes that may technically qualify as used, but
I get enough that really are in new condition in every way that I have been able to retube every projector I have ended up
with, replacing any tube that shows any visible wear at all, and still have more tubes left over.

I do have a JVC RS45 and I KNOW that Kal says that my setup on it is too close to the screen but you work with what you have and my room doesn't allow a longer throw distance and that's that. It throws a fine picture but honestly I have found the picture quality of my well tuned and modded Marquee to be somewhat more involving.

I realize that 4K is, and is likely to remain, a pipe dream for CRT. But 1080P done right on CRT looks so good that honestly I'm not feeling very motivated to jump on the 4K bandwagon. Oh, the day will come....but it's years off.

What I did not expect, and maybe my situation is kind of unique, is that at the end of CRT's run in most home theaters, the supply of new CRTs is stable even though it's been four years since the last new built CRT projector was shipped out of VDC's factory in 2013. I was expecting a CRT shortage to bring an end to projector production. That did NOT happen.

For myself, I see stability in my home theater for years to come. If any changes are made, it will be to take down a Marquee and install a G90 just for the fun of comparing them. I expect to upgrade sources and maybe put in a scaler/processor for some picture improvements, but I just don't see ditching CRTs in the foreseeable future.
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my plans, I turn it on a few times a week and watch a movie / Netflix, then I turn it off again Wink

Last edited by draganm on Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (2 photos)
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may add a Sony VPL-VW5000es, but I won't be pulling my G90 out. I see a digital and CRT in my theater in the near future. Some of my clients have a setup like that.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eventually I'm going to be moving. When I do, a primary plan is for a home theater that is less space limited. I may do a blend setup at that time.

Heck, I may do a full 360 degree projection simulator at that time, for flight simulation! That can take up to 11 projectors for a single sim!

I actually have some hands-on experience with that kind of system. I could build one, given the time, money, and space required.
km987654

TV/Projector: Barco BG809s

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be using CRT until the wheels fall off Cool
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good man! Thumbs Up

I think the day is coming when VDC will be calling ME to see if I have some parts that some government customer really needs to keep an ancient system operating.

The only reason I'm not in their dumpster pulling salvageable parts out of it is because in their new facility, the dumpster is in a "secure" area, meaning locks, fences, and a guaranteed chat with a sheriff's deputy if I were to jump in without permission.

So I'd have to pay off the driver of the roll-off dumpster service company to pull over after making a pickup and let me browse for a few minutes. I have never done that but if I got news from a reliable source that it was worth my while to do that, make no mistake, I would. Mr. Green
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CIR Engineering wrote:
I may add a Sony VPL-VW5000es, but I won't be pulling my G90 out. I see a digital and CRT in my theater in the near future. Some of my clients have a setup like that.

craigr

That is what Rocco is doing with his set up. A blend and RS400.
AFryia

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either the CRT breaks down or I move; which ever comes first! That's when I plan to go JVC D-ILA.
thewolfman

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once the vinyl wrap is done I'd like to glue 10 mm sound dampener basically everywhere I can. The mods ordering are for the most part done with. Now I just want to tune the beast with your suggestions regarding static focus.
racerxnet

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thewolfman wrote:
Once the vinyl wrap is done I'd like to glue 10 mm sound dampener basically everywhere I can. The mods ordering are for the most part done with. Now I just want to tune the beast with your suggestions regarding static focus.

We should both be on track to display a picture about the same time. I thought you had the Frankenyokes figured out. My tubes are LCP and will be a bit softer, but will be interesting to see how we compare. Sorry I dropped off at the other site. You may be better off posting your own topic on focus.

MAK
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me I think CRT is ultimately a pipe dream. Basement ceiling low, bad luck with the G70's. I'm not sure I'm ready to give it another go with mounting another beast on the ceiling and spending a weekend calibrating it.

I ended up buying a Yamaha DPX projector on eBay and it floored me on how easy it was to setup. Square it with the screen, adjust lens shift, adjust focus - DONE. Watch flipping movie.

It's not a contrast monster (only 5000:1 full on/off), nor is it the highest definition image you'll see (720p only) but its accurate, has great ansi contrast, and it works.

Last edited by jbltecnicspro on Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:23 am; edited 1 time in total
thewolfman

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

racerxnet wrote:
thewolfman wrote:

We should both be on track to display a picture about the same time. I thought you had the Frankenyokes figured out. My tubes are LCP and will be a bit softer, but will be interesting to see how we compare. Sorry I dropped off at the other site. You may be better off posting your own topic on focus.

MAK

I too will post here in the 9518 thread. Yes, I'd gladly compare images with you and also using LCP. The FY probably are in the sweet-spot already so will leave the alone.
dochlywd

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both the JVC and Sony G90/Lumagen 3D set up in my basement. I used to only use the G90 for movie watching and use the JVC for everything else. About two years ago, I had to remodel my basement due to water back up and switched from the Stewart Videomatte 2.0 to a Vutec Silverstar because I wanted increased brightness for the 3D. I also made some changes to my front wall which made me move the screen forward and projector back. Surprisingly, I was able to line it all up really super close where convergence barely needed touched and I was able to improve a little of the corner focus. However, due to the new screen, the color is off as well as electronic focus I'm sure not being as tight as it could be. Now, I must tell you that Craig Rounds did the original install/set up and is the only one that has touched it since so you know that I was spoiled prior to the remodel. Truth of the matter is, I can't even remember the last time I have fired up the G90. This brings me to the struggle of spending the money to have Craig back out to dial it in V.S. applying that money to an upgraded digital. Craig is the best in the biz and worth every penny for his crazy good ability to get the most out of a system but I now use the calibrated JVC RS1/Lumagen for everything(except 3d of course) and have been satisfied. I do miss the smoothness and "hug" that my eyes felt when watching the G90 but its been so long now that I am contemplating selling the G90 set up and just upgrading to a 3d JVC. The problem is that this G90 is what started this whole journey with me many years ago so it would be like breaking up with my "first love"!! SmileSmile

Maybe my G90 and I should go on the Jerry Springer show!!!

Doc

Last edited by dochlywd on Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to upgrade my NEC XG135LC to a late modell VDC Marquee 9500LC and apply my mods to it Smile
View user's photo album (1 photos)
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dochlywd, let me know if you do decide to sell the G90. I suffer from a very serious mental disorder called "Compulsive G90 buying".

I should be picking up my sixth G90 this coming Saturday.

I get another Marquee Ultra next week.

It's a mental disease but it gives me something to work on in the evenings.
racerxnet

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New tubes and mods for my 9500. I'll run it till it dies.
greg9518lc

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a new 9518lc and a 9500lcp with new tubes as backups I will be running my current 9518 with 1200 hours into the ground then throw another one up. I should be good for 20 years by then digitals might be worth buying.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up my first CRT projector less than a month ago, so hopefully I'll be into it for a while. Looks like the unit I got will need a new blue tube soon, though (anybody got a low-hours blue 07MP I could buy?)
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will check my stock tomorrow. I may have a new blue tube for you. I said new and I mean it.
jmetal88

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
I will check my stock tomorrow. I may have a new blue tube for you. I said new and I mean it.

Ah, that would be great! My projector looks to have about 4,000 hours on it according to the counter, and it shows on the blue tube (poor focus and moderate burn-in -- enough to give the center of the picture a yellow tinge). The red and the green look pretty much perfect to me, though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: