Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

My favorite amplifiers..!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: My favorite amplifiers..!! Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I'm cleaning out my HT for rebuilding, and think that you guys should see how we built amps in Denmark. Wink

And after ill show some other amps i have kept, or collected for the look or reference of some kind.

First one is the inspiration to the Dali Lectron prototype, made in USA and the first real hifi amp i know of, made by John Iverson.

Electro Research A75

I have 2, one with very low hours and mint condition, and another one not so mint.

Its constructed with feedback in some very different way, and its adjusted with small bourns trimpots everywhere inside the amp, impossible to service, like no one know how to adjust it.

Its a very potent KL A/B 70W amp that sounds far better than most amps made today, with only very little high frequency distortion from the feedback.

Last edited by stridsvognen on Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:31 pm; edited 5 times in total
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dali Lectron.

Here is the first danish build replacement for the Electro Research A75, its a 1 piece prototype.
Its with 0 feedback DC servo. Its rated 75W KL A/B and was meant to be 75W KLA, but it was impossible to keep the temperature down with that high bias. I belive its around 40W KL A. And active cooled with 1 120mm Papst ventilator.

Its around 70Kg

Last edited by stridsvognen on Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:13 am; edited 1 time in total
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dali Gravity.

The final production amp was made in 20 pieces, and made as a statement project to go with the DALI Megaline speakers.
Who needed 2 stereo amps to play. http://www.dali-speakers.com/en-US/Loudspeakers-1/MEGALINE.aspx

Its 100W pure KL A 2 x 120mm Papst ventilators, and seriously over sized in all ways, its consuming around 1,1Kw continuously.

The result is power response i haven't heard matched, and its no matter what kind of load you put on.

Its 100Kg / 220lbs, not very handy to move around.

Last edited by stridsvognen on Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:44 am; edited 4 times in total
mc86

TV/Projector: ECP 4500 (Vidikron box), ECP4500+, wanting 07MS/07MTS, evaluating pc soft-blend

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I don't have an intelligent comment for the OP, but all I could think was Crazy Insane!

...Crazy insane...
Crazy?
Insane?

Not sure if that link can play outside of US, sorry. I have Weird Science on LD and the bar scene is one of my favorites.

cheers,
Matt
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kurt that is really some cool gear and history there!! I have to show Bob ( Boiler maker ) this thread. He used to build amps.

Walt( WTS) would also like this i bet.

Nashou

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Boilermaker

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I remember the Electroresearch very well. On of the very first amps that was designed to be able to handle the complex and low impedance of some of the early full range electrostats. Unfortunately it was out of my price range, so I had to do it myself.
Beautiful amps as is the replacement that I didn't know about!

Thanks for sharing,
Bob
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The giant one reminds me of a Boulder amp...

http://www.boulderamp.com/2060-p1.html

Saw it at CEDIA a few years ago. 240 pounds... Almost as big as a G90 and just as heavy.

Crazy... In a good way.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit that i think that the best amps are build around 1990 +- some very nice amps came around 1975 and up.

But todays engineering with global feedback IC fets opamps smps, just gives a certain sound to it. way out of reality for me.

One set i would like to own is this Denon set. http://audio-database.com/DENON-COLUMBIA/amp/poa-s1-e.html

Ill post some pics about other amps i have collected, maybe it gives some a idea whats going on inside my head.. Embarassed

Not all sounds good, but i most kept them as some sort of collection.

I have bought almost all my amps used, like this kind of equipment don't come cheep when new.

The Electro Research A75 in the pic i bought some years back on EBAY from LA, think i payed 2200$ with shipping.

the other one was from Singapore.

It all started with the big amp Dali Gravity. and i know the guy that build the prototype, so got some history to it, and got the possibility to buy the prototype later.

There is much more to it than the amp, but ill save the story about the pre amps and MC stepup to another time.

The Dali gravity is pure transistor build with DC servo and no opamps and capacitors in the signal,
Its completely DC stable from cold to hot, due to very hard thermal coupling of all transistors, so no DC drift at all.

opposite to what you see in other constructions with small cooling profiles here and there with single transistors.
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DENON POA 3000Z.

From around 1980 i bought it with a blown up output, and had it standing around for 2 years before i finally got it made, it took me quite some time to get it all cleaned up, and it took a few sets of output transistors before i found the problem.

Now its like new. complete new output transistors in both channels, and all new original nippon chemicon capacitors on all boards.
Cleaned in every corner, everything have been apart and cleaned.

I don't use it, but i'm drawn to those big VU meters, so sometimes i just turn it on to see it light up the display.. Shocked

Last edited by stridsvognen on Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:14 am; edited 1 time in total
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DENON PMA S10MKii integrated amp.

Sounds ok, nothing special, but its big heavy and i think it looks nice.

http://audio-database.com/DENON-COLUMBIA/amp/pma-s10ii-e.html

Last edited by stridsvognen on Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:15 am; edited 1 time in total
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NAD 3020 Series 20.

The one and only.

Everybody interested in hifi should have one of these. Not to look at, but to connect when everything else fails, this one will play music.

Its not the best bass or treble or mid range, but everything is equal bad, or good, a rare thing to find, nothing stands out as good or bad, you just listen music.

Worlds most sold integrated amp.

The one in the pic is a special anniversary edition.

Last edited by stridsvognen on Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Boilermaker

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noticed the Dafos album in your picture. IMO, Reference Recordings are the finest quality recordings ever done. If I can find the link, I'll share the best one they ever did.

Bob
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pioneer M22.
http://www.thevintageknob.org/pioneer-M-22.html

Different KL A amp. Sounds very charming with a pair of 2 way speakers.

They are from around 1975, and runs very hot.. 60-70c and its normal that some capacitors are dead, and have made some transistors blow up.

I have 6 with new capacitors and transistors.
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boilermaker wrote:
Noticed the Dafos album in your picture. IMO, Reference Recordings are the finest quality recordings ever done. If I can find the link, I'll share the best one they ever did.

Bob

I have some RR recordings, its very hight quality, if i have to complain about something, ill say i prefer records less mastered to perfection.
They have some artificial over perfect sound. But Dafos can scare your friends to dead when it suddenly goes crazy dynamic..
It can actually beat up most equipment, and make it sound terrible. Thumbs Up

Think its the most expensive record i have.

This one is fun.
http://www.audiophileusa.com/item.cfm?record=12143&c=1&kw=Pop
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NAD M25. 7x160w

http://nadelectronics.com/products/masters-series/M25-7-Channel-Amplifier

One of the few new amps i have. It makes a nice pair with the old model NAD M15.

It have plenty of power and sounds decent for stereo use.
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AVANCE Z504 ( LUXMAN )

2X60W KL A

http://www.audioinvest.no/luxman/products/l_z504.htm
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it! More! more! more!

I have a thing for amps. Bigger the better, the heavier the better. Giant heat sink fins. I also prefer a 'classic' approach to amplification. Not necesssarily pure class A all the time but I'm not a big fan of the new digital switching amps.

Thanks for sharing!

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
L.B.

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awsome fred Kurt!
I will look forward to your new music/film room. Always a pleasure to visit the old one Smile
We need more pics! I know that you have lots of other stuff Wink
Boilermaker

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow - That Gravity amp is truly a magnificent beast!
I saw on the back that it can be bridged which means it will probably supply 400 watts @ 8 ohms, 800 watts at 4 ohms, 1600 watts at 2 ohms, and I would not be surprised if it was stable into 1 ohm!!! Since you have two of them, do you run them this way or do you use an electronic crossover?

Since I couldn't see any way for the air from the two fans to be exhausted, do they run push- pull?
I'll bet it has at least 8 pair of output transistors per channel at a minimum. Are they bipolar or mosfets?
Sorry to ask so many questions, bu what is the AC output connector on the back used for?

Thanks,
Bob
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boilermaker wrote:
Wow - That Gravity amp is truly a magnificent beast!
I saw on the back that it can be bridged which means it will probably supply 400 watts @ 8 ohms, 800 watts at 4 ohms, 1600 watts at 2 ohms, and I would not be surprised if it was stable into 1 ohm!!! Since you have two of them, do you run them this way or do you use an electronic crossover?

Since I couldn't see any way for the air from the two fans to be exhausted, do they run push- pull?
I'll bet it has at least 8 pair of output transistors per channel at a minimum. Are they bipolar or mosfets?
Sorry to ask so many questions, bu what is the AC output connector on the back used for?

Thanks,
Bob

I just have one Gravity, but they are made for the megaline speakers with electronic crossover.
And its 2x100w 8 ohm 2x200 4 0hm 2x400w 2 ohm

It can be bridget like you mention, i never had any use for it, and i don't think its the way to use it right.

The air i guided down, and blown out under the heat sinks, and turned up from those plates you see under the heat sinks.

The ventilators are run one with 110v and the other 120v as i remember, and that way they run different rpm, and make less noise.

If i remember right it have 10 sets of bipolar Motorola TO3 output transistors pr side, and 2 sets of predrivers.

The AC output on the back is for the pre amp.

When i have some time ill take the top plate off and show you how it look inside.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6
Jump to: