Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Boards on 9518
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
It may be that your focus yokes ARE in the right spot on the neck. That may be the case, depending on the yokes in question.

As to the requirement for the focus yoke to be properly positioned on the neck, this is very easy to verify.

Take a spare Marquee deflection yoke and pull the convergence yoke off it. In many cases it's already loose anyway.

Mount the deflection yoke on the tube neck. Do not mount the convergence yoke. Mount the focus yoke on the tube, and also
leave off the CPC rings. Connect the deflection yoke normally, to the HDM and VDM, but don't connect the focus yoke at all.

Of course, install the neck card.

Power up the unit and see for yourself how focus changes when you slide the focus yoke up and down the neck.

It is for this reason that I have found G90 focus yokes to be unsuitable, because although they perform incredibly well in a G90,
the G90's deflection yoke assembly is shorter than the deflection yoke assembly in a Marquee. (Including the convergence yoke)
The extra length of the Marquee deflection/convergence yoke assembly keeps you from being able to properly place the G90 focus
yoke, and I've verified this with several trials using several examples. I've looked into running G90 deflection yokes in a Marquee
to go along with the focus yokes but that opens up some other very substantial cans of worms. The inductance of the G90 deflection yokes is all wrong for the HDM to handle.
thewolfman

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been thinking for the longest time to try some of your tips with the focus coil movement or something else less hard to do.

I have spare of everything, inc a set Barco Frankenyokes, and if I try anything it would be that one. Since I have too tare it all apart to swap the vertical motherboard for the other remote to work (?) it would be tempting to try with a loose spare tube. Clamming it all forward was a lot of work so reluctant to mess with that, but have made notes where you talked about similar methods of fine tuning the sharpness, but with just leaving some cords loose and not the extreme of removing bits from the tube neck.

In fact, I wish there was someone else more motivated to give your procedures a go. Preferably with documenting as they go with lots of pictures even.
thewolfman

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if can beat these taken with my old VIM 03 and slammed FY.. Brought along Tjeerd's LUG shot as a reference for myself. Very crisp that one I think. What's actual going on with the colors and not I don't know anything about I just look at how crisp things are.

I was browsing the internet the other day for ideas of a new color for the casing and found someone with lots in the garage. I borrowed the pix and hope they don't mind. I wonder if I should redo my vinyl wrap with a cheap flat gun metal gray. Not to happy how smurf blue turned out. To light and don't go with anything. I really like white as well so a version of that would be nice.

screen capture software

image url

windows screen capture

free upload pictures

upload pic

image hosting no account

image hosting
thewolfman

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took a bunch of images but they went in the dumpster as they came out blurry and the mobile didn't save me this time. Only 2 made the cut. Must learn the camera again and set up 60 Hz properly as half the image is hidden, so no custom timings on these. Panasonic blu-ray player. Still lots to do with the pj, haven't done any to it.

images hosting

imgurl
thewolfman

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seriously doubt I will pull this off, with a home made VV1, but things are coming along and soon ready to roll up the sleeves and start sanding like crazy. It would be much easier to make a clean sharp cut around the holes but that would be easy way out.. no, one or two more layers and mold inwards for a nice even edge is what I want. I will make a vinyl wrap to finish it off in 2 sections as there is to sharp angles to make it on whole piece.

image hosting free
thewolfman

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went thru all VIMs tonight, fitted with my new MP VNB, too see how they differ.. and there is no contest, the new super VIM 02 really has something good about it. I like the colors and how calm it appear to be. And clean!

The VIM 02 holds it all together, with really really bright stationary scenes in a much tighter grip. I love it.

The other VIMs though looked very greasy on those white scenes so instinctively one feels the need to lower contrast but then the over all look gets to dark so one leaves it where it is.

This projector-mission is almost finished now, with only some mods required on the LVPS and the HVPS still to do, but seeing how great it looks already I have no problem waiting a while for those last mods.

Took a bunch of images that looks pretty good, but as always they can't show the real sharpness going on had and to toss a huge amount of pix as they came out to soft.

I haven't made changes to the pj, only setting the colors by eye briefly, and set sharpness as good as possible. It'll be a while until I roll my sleeves and start over.

image hosting no register

thewolfman

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is coming along nicely and finished the second layer of plastic padding today. But looking at it now I can't leave it this square in the middle so think I'll redo that one if I can. I free-handed a lot and paying for it now.

free image host

Modded VIM 03 + VNB and 2005 boards aren't too shabby either! Old James Bond movies always gets me interested in watching a bit and got a lot of images.

upload gambar
mp20748

TV/Projector: 9500LC Ultra / Super 02 and 03 VIM

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you got the problem fixed with your projector and especially that you're happy with the the mods. The shots looks good and it looks like you've gotten better with your camera skills. They never consistently turn out good.

OK, now that I'm better, I'll need to resurrect that screenshot thread...maybe this weekend..Mr. Green
thewolfman

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went thru my inventory of neck boards too, and actually need to clear some space with selling cards but better off keeping them for a rainy day,

and with excepting of my second 9518 cards - still in transit - I only found my previous MP VNB + stock LUG neck-cards.

Anyways, rather then cluttering other peoples threads, I post it here. Interesting none the less too see the third set of neck cards and see what they are about. Not that I know much about them. But still.

screencast

imageupload
thewolfman

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPECIAL DELIVERY !! *Silly voice*

img upload

upload an image

free upload
redfox001

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you have them! Without the frame it all fits in one box Smile

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a matter of fact I just got another Marquee, my newest one yet, built in 2007, and it includes the -0340 type neck boards,
and though the tubes have a lot of image burn from the simulator the projector used to be in, it's SHARP. Extremely sharp, actually sharper than I think I've ever seen out of a Marquee and possibly sharper than I've ever seen out of any CRT projector.

Running test patterns at 2048x2048, the small text test pattern is ultra readable at ALL points on the screen, if the lenses are focused correctly.

The projector is as of yet unmodified in any way. I plan to leave it that way, other than retubing it, while I do more evaluative testing on it.

Its better performance may be due to better circuits, or maybe it's just fresher and everything is working more to original specs. I don't know.
thewolfman

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good news alright, and I think I speak for a lot curious people how good they really are! But I much rather see you post a 1:1 1080p image to see how sharp that must be.

And as always, excuse myself for asking such a thing - when I don't post much myself recently but rely on others to spice things up,

- and actually don't know what's really going on either, I just look at how sharp it appears to be. That's all I need to know I think.

And the gray step pattern of course, to see if it's better off with the white-to-black squares. Are they white to gray to black or tinted somewhat. For the sake of this site it would be interesting if you took a bunch of photos to show off. You know how starved we are!
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little ways off from being able to post screen shots of this unit. But I can post some detail shots now.

You will simply have to trust me when i say that these images are taken from a test pattern running at a resolution of 2048x2048 and
mechanical focus has been optimized only for the areas of interest at the center of each image.

Just three images for now: The analyzer/pattern generator showing a set resolution of 2048x2048, and showing the text pattern selected, a shot of the entire screen projected on my garage door, and a close-up of the upper left corner of the same image.
thewolfman

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting.

And to give the planes some credit too it boggles the mind they can re-fuel in the air like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bu8-JnYtqI
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really just a matter of flying straight and level, a few feet from another plane that is also flying straight and level.

I've got a lot of simulator time and some real flying time. Learning to refuel in a simulator is HARDER than in real life because you don't have the seat of the pants motion cues or real world 3D to clue you in as well. So sayeth every pilot I've ever asked about it.
thewolfman

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you are a pilot or learning to be one or co-pilot maybe?
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once I was on course to get my private pilot's license. I abandoned that quest when I realized that I was not making enough money to be able to fly often enough to maintain proficiency which has negative consequences for safety.

Something like that needs you to commit to it to such a level that you can be safe and proficient at it. If not, I suggest you don't do it. The air is no place for a pilot who flies twice a year.
thewolfman

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. Well, I think that Harrison Ford might has his days numbered if he does not stop flying. He seems to be to old for this now and yet he keeps at it.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, my neck cards in this projector are in fact the 81771 type. My first experience with these cards, and so far,
they're impressing me. The real test is movie watching which will not happen tonight, for sure.

I just dropped a new green CRT assembly into it for test and there's no difference in sharpness between this new tube
and the worn green tube, which happens to be an original Panasonic LUG.

New red and blue assemblies are sitting by the projector waiting for me to install them, too. But not tonight.

I need to check compatibility between the 81771 cards and other versions of boards in the projector. If I do any board
swaps, I want to make sure that nothing gets damaged. I have two different editions of MP modded VIM boards to try out.

First (well, second) impressions are that this Marquee may be a G90 killer. Since I have six G90s, I may be qualified to say that,
but not until I do a side by side shootout to be sure.

Of course, after I've polished my G90 yokes project to a high shine, I will then attempt to run them in this chassis, too.

If those deliver the kind of focus improvement I expect, even on this machine, then it should be pretty epic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: