Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Boards on 9518
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thewolfman

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Boards on 9518 Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I'm troubleshooting why my pj wont fire up - with old boards new or whatever. I've had the projector down for so long I made a stupid mistake that I'm usually obsessed about and making it right with the wires. Not this time.

So, to make matters worse, I inserted the white cable from the VNB on the lower pin and not the upper.. but since it didn't fire up but only half way, with fans running I mean, there was no spot burn? I wont know until I get it started.

The Curt method, which I used before successfully, when the pj was stone dead though, solved it then. I removed board by board until it suddenly fired up and made the fans run.

Question: What could keep it from firing up?

Tried different HVPS - CLM - VIM - moome card - VNB - but so far not a different LVPS. 2010 version in there now, should be alright being that new. The other one is only a few years older.

Ah.. the VNB socket on the tube is mushy requiring sensitive hands installing it.. I remember something about that red VBN was the culprit that time, maybe it is now too.. will try with just green + blue asap.

I take that back, I have not tested the new MP VNB, still in the box I see. Sorry.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the diagnostic lights on the back of the projector on the CLM. They can give you a general idea of where to look.

LVPS, HVPS (EHT), horizontal scan failure, or vertical scan failure.

Not actually sure what the C means? Communications failure?

Remove the three anode leads from the splitter block to avoid any possibility of tube damage, and from there
you can pull out every board but the CLM and HDM and it should be able to power up assuming there's continuity in all
the critical voltage paths.

Even a failed deflection yoke can keep the unit from powering up. That will be accompanied by an H.fail or V.Fail indicator.
thewolfman

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great suggestions, will try them as we go. I will first off swap LVPS and then move on with your suggestions. From recollection the Diagnostics was fine yesterday and only time it went bananas was with another CLM. I'll start over in a few hours and post images from the back to give some clues. Thanks.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bad CLM can cause ANY problem you can imagine, and more. I have one here that only has one problem: It will not allow the HVPS to power up and generate the anode voltage. I've got another one that works but won't generate any internal video...SOMETIMES.
thewolfman

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using a 2005 VIM + CLM that worked fine for years odds are they're still ok. So the CLM + stock VIM is out. I'm only using the new modded moome V3. It is brand new so that too is out.

But wonder about the diods on the moome as they change from being green to yellow sometimes. Same goes for the moome V1. Mixed in there is a red diode coming on too. I'll document more as we go.

I'll try moome V1 later.

I am trying to force a PS4 1080p60Hz signal to the pj, that was first used on my TV to sure it's on and working, and then have the HDMI cable shifted over to the pj.

I'll be gone for a while now. Back in an hour and wonder what the next move should be.

So all the cables coming from the back plate, whatever it's called but the one that folds down, can be detached leaving only CLM + HDM + VNB on it?

Last edited by thewolfman on Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Marquee is ever a write-off!
thewolfman

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
No Marquee is ever a write-off!

Well, if I can't fix it then maybe I'm write off.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the question, almost every board in the set can cause no HV.

H board
HVPS
V board
CLM
neck boards
VIM
Intermittent connector under the red tube going to the HVPS.

You can disconnect the neck boards one at a time to see if the other two power up. Reseat the H board and the daughter board on top of it. THe HVPS and V board would need swapping out to make sure they are OK.
thewolfman

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to report that I got it started with the older HDM.. the swap didn't work yesterday but today the Gods said yes.

Vertical movement also works now with another card. The shrink modded one wont cooperate so unsolder them 3 bits and move over to the VDC one. That would make it a pure 2010.. with the exception of the HDM which I need the older one for.
thewolfman

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't get this spotless 2010 9518 HDM to work. No signal after reseating it 5 times or so. So I am using a dirty looking 2005 HDM instead which I wrote noisy on a year ago. I'm not sure the 9518 HDM ever worked, must go back and read up what I said back then.

Any who, does anyone have a surplus of 2010+ projectors and could sell me one of the HDM:s?

It bugs the hell out me I can't use mine seeing it looks so flawless. I wonder if it would work better if I changed to the 2005 mother board. A lot a work just to find out.

VDC 50-002003-080 ISSUE 4

upload a picture

Last edited by thewolfman on Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the HDMs do fail, and all are interchangable, so if it doesn't work, there's a problem on the board.
thewolfman

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
No, the HDMs do fail, and all are interchangable, so if it doesn't work, there's a problem on the board.

Well, if that's the case it's because I hade them stacked on each other as it haven't been installed in almost a year. .
thewolfman

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Na, I'm going to change the upper and lower mother board as the bloody remote does not work either without wire. So I will get to try both the HDM + remote a second time.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The remote needs a jumper changed when it gets changed from wired to wireless operation.

Those jumpers are accessible inside the battery compartment.

Move the jumper wire which is closest to the cable connector.
thewolfman

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's already set that way, I looked at the other remote which was the wireless one, and it is the same.

I finally got it all working with installing the new mods, I had to go back and forth with the 2005 vs 2010 boards, and came to conclusion that 2010 was a bad year and the dirty 2005 saved me many times.

I eventually ended up with a 2005 CLM + HDM + new MP VIM 02 and VNB. So glad I got it working and made a fast quick alignment, but then I just had to give the good 'ol 2010 HDM another try, and of course it didn't work so went back to 2005 again.

Then the mighty Gods decided enough is enough and made the raster miles apart and now the converge is frozen solid. Can't do anything with it. So I went thru all the cables and reinserted every upstanding board there is and even changed it back and forth to be safe, but no, frozen converge it is.

Who would have thought, that changing the HDM can get you f ed for rest of your life. Went thru several CLNs because what else is there to do, and don't know what to do any more but sigh and go to sleep.

If I only had a little bit more money I would kick this peace of sh*t to death and go get me an RS600 on sale.

Off to bed and cry now.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be aware that while the HDM itself is "universal", that is, any HDM might work in any Marquee, there are some very definite limitations on what version firmware on the HDM's daughter board are compatible with a given CLM.

The service bulletin that explains this should be here on this site in the documentation library.

It may be that you can get the newer HDM to work if you swap the daughter cards around.
thewolfman

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I was looking at the smaller board on the HDM yesterday, on the above picture, and wonder if it even can be loosened with only the plastic screw in the middle or if I must unsolder everything around it. Any soldering and I wont do it. But I figure you mean the daughter boards on the CLMs so that I can do. Interesting, maybe the frozen convergement will loosen up after that.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean the smaller board on the HDM. Yes, it just plugs into the HDM and you do have to remove the plastic screw, no soldering iron required.
thewolfman

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You were right, I changed the 2005 DB over to the 2010 HDM and didn't start. DB 50-2107-05p ISSUE 2.

Then went the other way with 2005 HDM and 2010 DB and started. DB 50-2107-05 ISSUE 1.

Your tip paid off. Thanks! The convergence works too now

The troublesome 9518 HDM has this small chip protruding and wonder if it scratches the bare aluminum cover and acts up.. but the best would be a new solid HDM. There are notorious 9518 hoarders out there.. you just got to find them.

imagehost
thewolfman

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You redeemed yourself Parker! I'm now running contrast at 100 without blooming. It's amazing to ramp contrast that high and watch nothing happen with the grid pattern. No smearing or anything. But settled with 80 which was as high I could go before. There is no audible noise as I ramp up the contrast either but that may be with the help of fresher parts in combination.

But I refuse to believe I need to find the sweet spot for the focus coil, the Frankenyokes are secure all the way forward so that's where I'll leave them. That's my part.

I never got around to make a full blown set up tonight, I just wanted to see if the brightness issue really was eliminated, and it is, so I simply boxed the lenses in place and never even bothered to fiddle with the magnets. So there is lots more to do to make the image much much better. I'll redo my write up when the day comes and it is all it can be, with all my ten thumbs up. It will be fun fun day!

10 months worth to waiting was in my mind perfectly alright!

But I need to do something about the remote as it is driving me insane sitting by the sofa all the time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: