Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Marquee 8000
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cerickson

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:25 pm    Post subject: Marquee 8000 Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
i have had my projector about 7 months. Everything has worked fine besides me tinkering with the picture and sizes.
i recently went into room and projector is ticking. a constant tick. the projector is turned off but still has power.
when i take the cord out and evrything shuts down and put back in and ticking starts again,

any ideas??
Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better call the Bomb Squad!

Does it power up with a picture?
cerickson

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no.. there is no power to the bulbs or does not click on like usuall.

just clicks...
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like as the LVPS toggles because of an overload, you might want to check the LEDs on thefront of the LVPS if any of it comes on or blinks.
Also you can pull ou the LVPS out of the chassis slightly to see if it still clicks even if it is detached from the projector (normally the LVPS fans should spin even detached from the chassis after one click sound)

View user's photo album (1 photos)
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's an 8000 and it's all original, the LVPS is long overdue for a failure. It has to be at least 20 years old since the 8000 was discontinued prior to 1997.

Fortunately a replacement LVPS is cheap and easy to come by. Or if you are patient and handy with a soldering iron, you
can recap it and bring it back to life. There are about 53 electrolytic caps in there and I've never seen the largest ones fail, but
I've brought some LVPS units back to life by replacing all the smaller ones.
cerickson

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was trying to post a video but can not attach it.. computer just freezes.

where can i get a replacement and do you have a link to where i could look at them?
cerickson

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if anyone would like i could send it thru text to verify the issue if someone leaves the number to send video too
the front row of lights first start to flash then it looks like it is just the far one that stays flashing
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pull out the LV power supply, plug it in outside of the projector, and see if you get the ticking. If not, it's probably OK, and you have a short somewhere in the projector.

Pull the cord from the power supply, let it sit 5 minutes, put it back into the projector, and start pulling boards out of the set, each time plugging the power cord back in to see if the problem goes away. If so, try powering up.

All the projector needs to turn on is the LV power supply and the CLM board. Everything else can be unplugged or disconnected.
cerickson

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive tried multiple times pulling the power cord in and out. and also let it sit without for a few days. plugged back in and didnt change anything. are you saying to pull out the box that the plug in goes to and plug it in seperate from the projector itself?
thanks.. have not done to much homework on the external parts just alot on setting up internal and picture
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, correct, pull out the supply and see if it clicks without being in the set.

http://www.curtpalme.com/ElectrohomeMarquee_Layout1.shtm
cerickson

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I will test it out tonight. if it is bad do you have a place where I can purchase a new one?
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have good tested used ones, late model, from 2006-2010 for cheap. New ones were about $2K from VDC, you don't want to spend that!
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
If it's an 8000 and it's all original, the LVPS is long overdue for a failure. It has to be at least 20 years old since the 8000 was discontinued prior to 1997.
the last 8000's rolled out in 1995, but oddly enough at least you didn't have to worry about the P14 drift - tube filament burn-out issues they had from 1996 thru 1998.

Amazing to see a 22 year projector out there still running.
View user's photo album (2 photos)
cerickson

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am definitely learning the ropes on them. but so much to take in. I love digging into it but the terminology plus how many parts and setup stages it has defiantly can confuse me quickly. I am having issues setting it up perfect for the picture as well but that is another topic once I get this power issue corrected.. someone just reassure me that they are worth the money I am putting into it and what I spent on it already due to the prices of the compact ones that they sell for 1000-1500 at best buy or something! my setup was not perfect for the place I had to install so the distance is not 100% accurate. does anyone know if there is someone that sets these up for a reasonable price in the Midwest?
racerxnet

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cerickson wrote:
does anyone know if there is someone that sets these up for a reasonable price in the Midwest?

I am in Illinois. Where are you located?

MAK
cerickson

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pipestone Minnesota. Southwest Corner
racerxnet

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are 7 hrs away from me. What kind of lenses are on it? 2 ring astig magnets? What size screen?

MAK
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cerickson wrote:
.. someone just reassure me that they are worth the money I am putting into it and what I spent on it already due to the prices of the compact ones that they sell for 1000-1500 at best buy or something! ?
depends, hopefully you didn't pay more than $100. or thereabouts.

cerickson wrote:
my setup was not perfect for the place I had to install so the distance is not 100% accurate. does anyone know if there is someone that sets these up for a reasonable price in the Midwest?
really easy, did you try pushing the help button, then choosing " guided mechanical set-up" . it walks you thru it and will get you 85% of the way there. make sure your source is on, and use either 720P or 1080i for best pic.
also make sure your the right distance from the screen. about 9 feet away to tip of lenses ballpark for a 7 foot wide horizontal width screen

that last little bit of performance takes either time or a pro but not worth paying a pro $600.+ to set up an 8000
View user's photo album (2 photos)
cerickson

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I pulled
The LVPS out and plugged in and no clicking
Blew out a lot of dust from unit and plugged back in
And still clicking
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a row of indicator LEDs visible on the back panel of the CLM. (Controller board) Which, if any of them, are lit up or flashing?
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: