Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Barco 808LC Glycol Replacement

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fragzero

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject: Barco 808LC Glycol Replacement Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I have to change the glycol on my tubes (fungus), found the following formula on the forums,is this ok or any remarks? (i can get these parts)

glycol-glycerine 75%-25%

And does anyone have any idea how much i need to refill my barco 808 LC housings (with scheimfplug adjustments)
Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

I like triethylene glycol/distilled water, 90/10mix. Electrohome used this for many years.
km987654

TV/Projector: Barco BG809s

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also Ice Clear.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some companies that work in the simulation support/CRT refurbishment business use straight ethylene glycol.

What's most important are index of refraction, which should be matched to the optics, and cleanliness, as any
dirt or contaminants can become the point at which chemical changes in the coolant lead to cloudiness or discoloration.

Be sure to clean the inside of the chamber VERY thoroughly.

As for quantity, a quart is more than sufficient. Marquee LC assemblies take just about 23 ounces as measured from
a measuring cup that is calibrated to water's density of 1.0. Marquee LC assemblies take more than most other LC assemblies,
in fact I THINK they take more than any other type.
fragzero

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok great, i got 2L of glycol and 1L of glycerine (which was really cheap) on order so i can experiment.

Should rinsing be enough to get rid of the fungus or should i disassemble the chamber by removing the C-element? (The fungus is only in an early stage)
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disassemble to clean thoroughly. Do not scratch the C element, it is plastic and easily scratched.
fragzero

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok i disassembled the tubes today, seems there was around 1.5L of fluid inside.

Now to clean the housings (the tubeface seems a bit greasy), dry and refill!
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clean thoroughly. I recommend using MEK for the final wipe.
fragzero

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Methylethylketon? I have that available!
fragzero

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cleaned the housings and refilled with 75% glycol + 25% glycerine, i mixed 1.3L and i had maybe 50ml left at the end! (same LC housings as the Cine8 or zenith 1200x)

Lots and lots of bubbles in the housing near the C-element but 12h later there was already some improvement, I’ll wait until they are all gone.

One small question, I filled the housings until full and then extracted 5ml to keep some air in it. Some guides tell me to do this some tell me not to do this. I can’t see the airbubble when installed, should I completely full the tubes (and let the bellows handle expansion) or is it fine like this?
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: