Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Netflix offers 4k. Possible with CRT?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_in_peace_

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:31 pm    Post subject: Netflix offers 4k. Possible with CRT? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi!

I managed to push my G70 to do 1920 x 816p at 72hz and it works like a dream.

If one do this with a G90 what will be the limit? Lets say you get halfway to 4k at scoop. That would look amazing!

Can one force the netflix stream to do 72hz via Powerstrip? Any thaugths? Cheers!

ladda ned.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  107.94 KB
 Viewed:  11408 Time(s)

ladda ned.jpg

cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to bandwidth limitations we'll never get 4K on a CRT projector.

That takes 600 MHz of system video bandwidth and 1080p-60 takes just 185 MHz and that's oniy well resolved on the
more highly modified projectors.

My personal interest has been in improving the focus systems and I don't think that the tubes can even focus sharply enough
to resolve 4K with anything resembling a decent MTF value even if you were to overcome the monumental bandwidth obstacle.

4K is VIEWABLE, with the right PC video card, but that's not the same thing as being sharp and well resolved.

It's just too much of a stretch. Even I, the optimist, do not expect to see 4K on CRT.

Something better than 1080p is certainly possible. Maybe "2.5K" or possibly even "3K" but 4K? Not very likely.

I think that 2160i MIGHT be possible.
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beautiful screen capture BTW,

4K definitely not possible,

downscale to 2K, maybe?
View user's photo album (2 photos)
km987654

TV/Projector: Barco BG809s

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A CRT Blend will help Thumbs Up
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the right video wall processor, I could tile four G90s together and display true 4K. Smile
_in_peace_

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandwidth to go

135 / 120 x 1920 = 2160
135 / 120 x 816 = 918

2160 x 918
4096 x 1679

918 / 1679 = 55% of 4k at 2:35.1
_in_peace_

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do 2.40: ratio (which is cooler) you can do a bit more.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But wider aspect ratios demand the usage of less vertical space on the phosphor, which means the scan lines are closer together, which negatively impacts MTF and resolution. It is wasteful of precious CRT phosphor area.

It is my opinion that CRT projectors should always be run in pairs, when possible, any time the aspect ratio is 16:9 or wider. That way you can make efficient use of the phosphor space on both units. Granted, this is not something most people are willing to do,
but it is the way to get closer to optimal use of the tubes and the projectors.

I'm about to swap out a Marquee for a G90. I'm THINKING about hanging two G90s instead, in a blend setup, but there are
some obstacles in my setup that may make this impractical. However obtaining the projectors is not an issue. I only have six G90s in my workshop, in addition to a total of eight Marquee 9500LCs and 9518s.
_in_peace_

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good stock you got there. There is good times now to hording CRT's.
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
But wider aspect ratios demand the usage of less vertical space on the phosphor, which means the scan lines are closer together, which negatively impacts MTF and resolution. It is wasteful of precious CRT phosphor area.

It is my opinion that CRT projectors should always be run in pairs, when possible, any time the aspect ratio is 16:9 or wider. That way you can make efficient use of the phosphor space on both units. Granted, this is not something most people are willing to do,
but it is the way to get closer to optimal use of the tubes and the projectors.

I'm about to swap out a Marquee for a G90. I'm THINKING about hanging two G90s instead, in a blend setup, but there are
some obstacles in my setup that may make this impractical. However obtaining the projectors is not an issue. I only have six G90s in my workshop, in addition to a total of eight Marquee 9500LCs and 9518s.

Would it be possible to run 2 G90 projectors in a blend for 4K? Each one getting half the horizontal resolution to make a whole 4K image?

It would as you say use a lot more of the phosphor, and be a lot less stressful on the electronics instead of trying to squeeze 2.5-3K res out of one G90.

Just curious... as I had thought about running 2 G90's to get a 4K image. In all honesty when my G90 arrives I will probably throw 2K cinemascope resolution at it and that'll be that (well after the necessary upgrades/mods to increase its lifespan are done).

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that 4k is twice the horizontal resolution of 1080p AND it is twice the vertical resolution of 1080p as well.

Running a pair of projectors would handle the horizontal resolution issue but as for the vertical resolution issue, I'd have
to give you a conditional MAYBE on that.

You WOULD be using pretty much all the vertical phospor space, which is really good for getting more effective resolution
on a given CRT face.

But how much?

Well, I'd have to figure it out. You'd be able to use the full 4:3 phosphor area of the tube, or very nearly so, since two 4:3 rasters side by side would give a 2.7777 aspect ratio, which is wider than ANYTHING we'd ever need. Commit the difference to the blend zone.

Yeah, you could really get something out of this! Run both PJs in 4:3 with a small blend zone and your phosphor usage is almost 100 percent, resolution potential is maximized, light output capacity is also maximized. tube life is increased because you CAN back off the contrast and still have a great picture....there's no downside to this!

For a given screen width, if you run a 16:9 raster and compare it to a 4:3 raster at the same screen width, you increase vertical resolution capacity by 33 percent. You'd be able to run a 4x3 raster at 1920x1440 at the same scan line vertical spacing, and from here, 2160 is 50 percent more. So you may not actually want to run at 3840x2160 but I think that 3840x1446 or 3840x1600, spanned across two projectors, would look rather awesome.

As for bandwidth requirements, let's assume a 10 percent blend zone and figure each projector's bandwidth needs.

1920+10% multiplied by 1600 multiplied by 60 Hz and then add 20 percent for sync and other non-displayed signal information,
and you need, call it 243 MHz bandwidth. That's a bit more than we can probably manage. But it's onily 219 MHz bandwidth if you drop to a vertical resolution of 1440.

It's plausible. You'd probably be out of the FLAT bandwidth range, but I think it'd be visually pretty acceptable.

If I had the blend solution in hand I'd be drawing up my placement plans for two G90s right now.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you look at a tube face it's more like 5:4 ratio no?

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't actually measured that but that actually helps if true.

Set both PJs to QXGA (2048x1536) and blend the middle area. Not a problem, and it uses an industry standard resolution that should be readily accessible.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, on a Marquee, the frame window dimensions that the CRT mounts in is 4 and 3/4 by 6 and 1/4 inches. This is the absolute maximum possible usable raster size on a Marquee at least.
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
When you look at a tube face it's more like 5:4 ratio no?

The maximum pixel count certainly suggests so. 2500x2000 for the G90 and 2000x1600 for the 1292 - both are 5:4 ratios. 1700x1200 (G70) isn't quite 5:4 but it's not 4:3 either.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people are more, and some less, sensitive to flicker. If you are less sensitive, you might be able to run a slightly lower refresh rate. I know that I don't see flicker at 60 Hz and apparently, flicker on direct view PAL sets running 50 Hz (OK, 25 and interlaced) wasn't a problem or they'd have gone with a higher frame rate.

By reducing the frame rate, perhaps to as low as 50 Hz, you recover bandwidth. Let's just guess that you may be fortunate enouigh that you can even tolerate 48 Hz, which is a magic number as it's even 2:1 pulldown for 24 FPS film sourced materials.

That saves 20 percent of your bandwidth requirement, which cancels out the bandwidth overhead needed for sync and timing and non-visual information. So all you have to do then, to calculate bandwidth requirements, is a simple and straight calculation of H pixels x V pixels x frame rate. So, 2048x1536x48 brings our bandwidth commitment down to 151 MHz, and that is well within range of any decent 9" CRT projector. 1080p-60 needs more.

It's still not 4K but it's a pretty respectable chunk of it.

A G90 is capable of syncing up to a 24FPS input signal. Flicker city, of course, but with that information in hand, at least a G90
could actually display a 4K-24 signal as it would be around 200 MHz video bandwidth required, IF you could tolerate the flicker
and IF you had a way to actually get it to the screen. (I think that the Moome HDMI 1.4 card is technically capable, at 24 FPS.)
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I checked on what happens below 60 Hz refresh rates.

The Marquee synced up fine at 48 Hz. I did not attempt anything less. as it was flickering enough to annoy even me,
and I'm pretty tolerante of flicker.

50 Hz was better, the flicker was there but not bothersome.

However, picture width shrank CONSIDERABLY. I'm trying to figure out why that happens. I didn't expect it.

The amount of width lost could not be compensated for with the H. size control, not at 50 Hz. Picture width started
to come back as the refresh rate was raised above about 55 Hz.

What I'm thinking is happening is that the low refresh rate is taking the horizontal deflection coil out of resonance with the HDM circuit. In which case, it MIGHT come back as the resolution (and scan rates horizontally and vertically) is increased.
_in_peace_

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes i think 60hz is quite nice. It gives a pulsating feeling almost like on old cinemas. I do not have a G90 my self but it sure will perform some extra resolution.
ronaldus

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
So I checked on what happens below 60 Hz refresh rates.

The Marquee synced up fine at 48 Hz. I did not attempt anything less. as it was flickering enough to annoy even me,
and I'm pretty tolerante of flicker.

50 Hz was better, the flicker was there but not bothersome.

However, picture width shrank CONSIDERABLY. I'm trying to figure out why that happens. I didn't expect it.

The amount of width lost could not be compensated for with the H. size control, not at 50 Hz. Picture width started
to come back as the refresh rate was raised above about 55 Hz.

What I'm thinking is happening is that the low refresh rate is taking the horizontal deflection coil out of resonance with the HDM circuit. In which case, it MIGHT come back as the resolution (and scan rates horizontally and vertically) is increased.

Hi CMJohnson,

I had the same problem with having not enough width on my marquee at 50Hz. When I changed to another HDM the problem was solved. I only changed the big board not the daughterboard. At 50Hz the HDM should give enough width.

regards,

Ron.
View user's photo album (7 photos)
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspected that a different HDM may yield different results. Hadn't tried it yet, though.

I do believe that the loss of width is in fact due to the overall h. scan rate dropping out of the resonant range
of the tuned HDM-yoke circuit. But increasing the number of lines scanned (higher vertical resolution) should
bring it back up into resonance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: