Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

VDC 9518 mk II trouble-shoot
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thewolfman

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:16 pm    Post subject: VDC 9518 mk II trouble-shoot Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
So I have put together my second VDC and as expected nothing powers on. But fans are running on the LVPS. But think

that it is not fully powered on as the fans are only slightly running. Like in standby.

In shipping the LVPS + HVPS took quite a hit to the handles which I had to force back. Luckely I have more of them.

Then I noticed nothing is lit on the CLM, but there is one on the LVPS.

Seen from the front, going left to right, number 3 is flashing every second.. I wonder what that's about.

Later I will unplug everything and see if it powers up then.

EDIT: Ok, now the CLM has a red light on showing it's the LVPS. It wasn't on at first.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pull out the LVPS and look very carefully in the window where the status LEDs are. Look down in that window at an angle and you will see that the voltages of each rail that the LEDs monitor are clearly marked on the PC board.

The third LED from the left is the monitor for the -24 volt rail, when the LVPS is oriented so that the AC power socket is to the upper left.

Try a different LVPS first. If the problem persists, the fault is on SOMETHING that draws power from that rail.
thewolfman

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great you could help out.

The lamps are not lit anymore with another LVPS so think it might be a glitch somewhere so will unhook cables and try as I go. That has worked before.
thewolfman

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looked at the window and it was the -24 volt that was on before.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You described impact damage to the LVPS handle. Mechanical damage to the LVPS circuitry is a distinct possibility, in fact given the situation it seems likely. An internal inspection of the LVPS boards may reveal the problem.
thewolfman

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have changed the LVPS for an exact same but will remove the HVPS as well and try.
thewolfman

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changing the HVPS did nothing as well. But the connector is damaged on that one so not sure it works either. Half the screw on cap is missing, so.. sh*t, no I have to remove all of it again and see.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get the belly fans to turn on, you need the LVPS, remote (wired or wireless), and the CLM installed. If they do not turn on with only those three things installed, and the power light going green on the CLM, then there's no point in troubleshooting anything else in the set. Those are the basics. if they don't work, nothing else will. Smile
thewolfman

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks Curt! Will start from there. Taking a breather now..
thewolfman

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't to happy with the results of the smurf blue vinyl wrap so to be safe I ordered samples of them all. And wow! Anything gloss is bad ass! And now I'm far away from smurf and will go for a newcomer with, ..wait for it.. waait for it... that's right, purple of all colors! It look so cool I almost blew a load off. Before the samples I was in for a hot rod red when I saw cool image from that as seen from below. It's some game, but it almost looks like a CRT pj to me. Gloss gray was as expected also very mean looking. But anything matt is dull looking so none if that made the cut. Same goes for metallic, it just looks plain weird. My purple I picked out is in reality a little darker though. I need some black letters on there to make it pop and also ordered slicing tejp for that. Might be easier with that.

Ok, enough talking.

(Oh and, I will go back at it trying to make it start, that old thing.)

Hot rod redish

jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thewolfman wrote:
I wasn't to happy with the results of the smurf blue vinyl wrap so to be safe I ordered samples of them all. And wow! Anything gloss is bad ass! And now I'm far away from smurf and will go for a newcomer with, ..wait for it.. waait for it... that's right, purple of all colors! It look so cool I almost blew a load off. Before the samples I was in for a hot rod red when I saw cool image from that as seen from below. It's some game, but it almost looks like a CRT pj to me. Gloss gray was as expected also very mean looking. But anything matt is dull looking so none if that made the cut. Same goes for metallic, it just looks plain weird. My purple I picked out is in reality a little darker though. I need some black letters on there to make it pop and also ordered slicing tejp for that. Might be easier with that.

Ok, enough talking.

(Oh and, I will go back at it trying to make it start, that old thing.)

Hot rod redish

WOLFMAN. FOCUS.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I'm trying alright! We'll get there soon. Get back to you. Smile

Btw, the look of that purple, can look really girly on many pictures online, but in a room, with no sun, it looks amazing. Love it!

cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like purple!

blackandpurpleg90pic1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  176.24 KB
 Viewed:  11219 Time(s)

blackandpurpleg90pic1.jpg

blackandpurpleg90pic2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  168.63 KB
 Viewed:  11219 Time(s)

blackandpurpleg90pic2.jpg

cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can, get a Vision 1 or related case kit for your Marquee. I think you'll love it.

If you can't find one, sculpt case parts out of foam, fiberglas over them, then cut out the foam inside,
and finish making your own custom case set. Which is a lot of work, to be sure.
thewolfman

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm almost finished with the Vision Two/Vision One transformation. I need to widen the holes a little bit more, but it was such a dusty ordeal last time I've been putting it off for a breathing mask. I'll re-post images soon to show. But a custom front would be nice, great ideas.
thewolfman

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To pimp the casing on the sides, the metal grills, I'll cover the small holes with plastic padding, and then file out new ones to make it look more like the game-edition above. Smooth and pimped. That's an easy do-over I wont pass up.

Widening the gap from thew cut out holes are pretty much done with, some sanding left to do, but not much. I need to widening and ova-ling them a bit. That's it.

cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had forgotten that you're already modding a Vision Two case to work.
jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprising that vidikron would have spent the funds to make separate molds for vision one and two. You'd think that they would have just gone with the vision one and it's larger lens holes. One thing is for sure- wolfman and CJ are distant cousins Razz

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purple projectors! Next you guys will be selling Tupperware.😊
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only the front piece of the Vision case was different between the One and the Two. They didn't have to put all that much extra effort into making a second version of the case front and apparently it was worth it to them to do it.

I used to own the case molds for one version of the Vision One case. Sadly they died in a garage fire and I never even got one set of case parts for myself. No, not my garage.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: