Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Quiet dry wall.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
studio

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I'm building a garage with a dedicated HT in the 2nd story. The closest living space is 50ft away with 3 walls between, do I really have to worry about the bass that much?
Crabman

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES! Sound, especially the bass makes the wall, floors, beams vibrate at resonant frequencies.
The sound can actually cause a wall or floor to act as another speaker, and this will probably be in another floor or wall that is attached mechanically to the HT room somewhere else in the house.

It could even be on the other end of the house, even though in between rooms may be fine.
It is ESPECIALLY important that you isolate/dampen the subwoofer vibrations directly beneath it.

Clay

-Randy
studio

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does stuff like this really work?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Sound-Proofing-Home-Drum-Recording-Music-Studio-No-Foam_W0QQitemZ320108039372QQihZ011QQcategoryZ3278QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
dc_pilgrim

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

studio wrote:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Sound-Proofing-Home-Drum-Recording-Music-Studio-No-Foam_W0QQitemZ320108039372QQihZ011QQcategoryZ3278QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

From their FAQ:

Quote:
Q) Do AudiMute Absorption Sheets Block Noise?
A) NO! Audimute Sheets are for sound absorption and are not intended to be an STC solution for blocking/isolating sound. Sound absorbing products reduce and absorb reverberation (reflected sound) within a space. Bottom frequency (lower spectrum of sound) cannot be absorbed! Audimute Sheets will not eliminate low frequency sound.

???

Sounds like they are relying on the confusion between sound isolation and accoustic treatment. You can most likely get the same treatment effect with insulation at a lower price.
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

studio wrote:

It won't reduce bass at all. It may help with mids and highs, but only to eliminate first reflections and flutter. You'd probably be better off with a acoustic cotton (that's what I used) or fiberglass like OC703.

Just as an FYI, on mass stops bass and it takes alot of it. The wavelength of 30 Hz for example is about 38 feet long. That would take a few feet of acoustic material to absorb.

My subs are decoupled from the floor, but there is no where in our 3400 square foot house you can go in the house and not hear the bass.

Dave

Last edited by Person99 on Fri May 04, 2007 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (1 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone here have plaster on their walls instead of drywall?

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
dc_pilgrim

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine are blueboard with a veneer plaster over them.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My old house had lath and horse-hair plaster in it. The walls were like concrete. I couldn't BELIEVE how much sound it stopped compared to drywall.

Obviously it didn't do much about the bass (still, some), but I could have the stereo really loud in the living room, and in the bedroom on the other side of the wall from the back of the speakers, the sound was significantly attenuated - not loud at all, in fact.

It was pretty amazing to me, since prior to that house, I'd never lived in any house that didn't have good old gyp board in it.

Hanging a picture sucked, though.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 05, 2007 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My place is mortar over wire mesh with a skim coat of plaster. The room's acoustics sound so alive. I was in an identical unit they drywalled and the room sounded very dead. I've always lived in places with plaster. I never could get use to the sound of drywall.

CRT.

HD done right!
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 05, 2007 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
My place is mortar over wire mesh with a skim coat of plaster. The room's acoustics sound so alive. I was in an identical unit they drywalled and the room sounded very dead. I've always lived in places with plaster. I never could get use to the sound of drywall.

Wow, I bet it takes a ton of absorption to tame a room the live for home theater! With drywall it took me almost 120 square feet of absorption and about 20 or so of diffusion!

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....
View user's photo album (1 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 05, 2007 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not to bad. I actually bounce my surround speakers off the plaster. The effect really opened up the rear sound stage but just enough as not to take away from the plane flying overhead type effects.

Behind the wire mesh is brick so it's nice and alive. I don't bother with the sound treatments. I tried it about 10 years ago and hated the sound. It made the front speakers sound like 2 mono speakers instead of a stereo pair. My soundstage was smaller. Even my non tech head friends said it sounded better without the side panels.

I even tried the parametric equalizer with the stereo mike at my ear level. It changed the sound but didn't sound right. After that I thought if I'm happy the way it is why am I trying to change it?

SO nope no sound panels in there. The couch, chairs and carpet do just enough absorbtion.

CRT.

HD done right!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: