Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Nec XG setup issues
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Untuned

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Nec XG setup issues Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
My 6PGXtra projector has been giving me some problems with the image. I still have not sorted it out, and combing through the local ads, I came across someone that had two XGs to offload, a 135 and a 110. So I took them. I figured that if they needed some TLC, it might be a better investment than in the PG (though I have enjoyed the PG very much).

So I took the PG down from the ceiling and put the XG-135 in its place. I have the manual and read through that, as there are obvious differences to the PG setup, notably centering the raster. It's still not clear to me how to center the image within the raster, but....the bigger issue is the image is doubling back on itself.

I read on here that the XG is very sensitive to porch settings. I am watching mostly Netflix with the occasional Blu-ray or DVD. I have the BR player and an apple tv hooked up to a prepro, which I set to output either 1080i60 or 720p60. This goes to a Moome EXT-HD (external box) with RGBHV leads going to the projector.

While centering the rasters, I noticed that the image in the tubes appeared overlapped or folded over in some places, the red tube being especially bad. I tried 720p, then 1080i as input signals, and the problem was still there. I tried hooking up my pc to the projector, having input a custom setting for 1080i96 (with settings given by gjaky), but I am not as familiar with the pc settings, and my nvidia card allowed setting the front porch, but not the back porch. Anyway, there seemed to be less overlap on the green and blue, but red was still quite bad. I understand that having a proper video processor can help me get rid of this, but which one? I am trying to keep this on a budget. I was looking for an older Lumagen or DVDO, but there are not a ton around.

What can I do? Having my computer hooked up all the time to the pj is not a viable option, unless I get a dedicated HTPC. In my mind I should be able to pick up a decent processor for less than an HTPC, and this would fit better with my usage. So if I need a processor, what suggestions? Anything else besides the two I already mentioned? Analog output is not necessary or even desirable since the Moome box is converting from HDMI to analog.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally the XG only had wraparound issues at 1080p, I'm surprised you have that at other resolutions. A Lumagen HDP scaler at around $200 USD would do the job nicely, that's really about the only option you have. Perhaps an HDFury would not give wraparound, which is what I've used in the past with XGs as well.

Raster centering- you need to go into the service menu, which is password 3151 or 13151 depending on the XG version. That should get you into the raster shift menu which is normally yellowed out.
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My timings should not overlap LOL Very Happy

What is more important, if there is a problem with the input timings that should be present on all tubes the same way. Are you able to converge the internal patterns?

A photo of the problem would be also helpful.

The raster centering is in the ref. menu, that sets the actualraster on tuibeface, as previously the centering magnets did on the PG. the picture within the raster can be moved by pushing the position button on the service remote (it's not the first menu to pop up).

BTW, I developed a simple modification for the XG OSC board, that would eliminate the need of a video processor for standard 1080p timing, but I think the problem is else where now.

View user's photo album (1 photos)
Untuned

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Curt
I appreciate the feedback. I too had understood that the wraparound issue seemed to plague only 1080p (and above??)…
I thought the Lumagen HDP might do the trick, but I seem to recall reading that it had limited adjustments to the back porch, so it was not clear whether or not it was appropriate for the XG. It seems there was a forum member that had one for sale a few months back, perchance it is still available…
I did find the raster centering feature, although it took a little coaxing to reach it: upon firing the machine up, I immediately disabled the passcode, as I found it rather annoying to always say I did not wish to return to user mode. But then I could not get to the raster centering function. Once I enabled the passcode again, then I could enter 3151, and I then had access. This is within the “REF ADJUST” menu, and in the manual is also referred to as “Raster Centering-Coarse”. It is the image centering within the raster that I’m not sure how to do. I thought it was the “position” control at first, but I think I read in the manual that the position control is also referred to as “Raster Centering-Fine”; the raster did indeed move when I used the position menu.

Gabor, I have no doubt that your timing parameters are good! As I said earlier, my ability to adjust the timing within the video card is limited to front porch and sync width; I could not adjust the rear porch. I thought that maybe that was the issue. But then, maybe what I am calling wraparound is something else altogether…I will try to take some pictures of this tonight.

I have read about your adventures in the VNB neckboard, and though I understand very little of the technical aspect of that project, I nevertheless admire your creativity and ingenuity! Please tell me more about the “simple” mod to the OSC board, it may not solve the problem I have now, but could be useful in the future! Simple for you may be beyond my capabilities, but if I can do it, I will!
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Untuned wrote:
Please tell me more about the “simple” mod to the OSC board, it may not solve the problem I have now, but could be useful in the future! Simple for you may be beyond my capabilities, but if I can do it, I will!

The picture wraparound at 1080P is a result of the internal timing signals of the XG. There is the so called thing retrace time which is the reserved time for the electron beam to start a new scanline. With higher scanrates the retrace time is desired to be smaller than at lower scanrates (ie. lower resolutions). In an Electrohome Marquee or a Barco 1209 this retrace time is partly automatically controlled. but the user can also govern it, so it is possible to se those projector to short retrace time mode at 1080P. The XG on the other hand governs this retrace time fully automatically, and while the projector itself is able to use sufficiently small retrace times to display 1080P without wraparound, but this is only allowed in the highest scan rate, above 120kHz, which is not very practical. As usual the difference between an XG 75 and XG 135 only lies in the software (apart from the LC option) so while the XG 75 is limited to 75kHz scanrate, but all boards are prepared for 135kHz operation as the XG135. Long story short my modification fools the automatic control circuit of the XG, so it would switch into the shortest retrace mode 67kHz (1080P) scanrate.
Basically it is an opamp and two resistors and some flywires.
You can read more here about it:
http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=454163#454163

Untuned

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great! I read your thread, it sounds doable...so what do I need?
Untuned

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a couple of pictures of the tubes.

image4.JPG
 Description:
Red 720p
 Filesize:  463.15 KB
 Viewed:  12703 Time(s)

image4.JPG

image3.JPG
 Description:
Green 720p
 Filesize:  313.04 KB

image3.JPG

image2.JPG
 Description:
Red, 1080i
 Filesize:  454.51 KB

image2.JPG

image1.JPG
 Description:
Green, 1080i
 Filesize:  320.64 KB

image1.JPG

gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The menubar looks the same on all colours with both resolutions and to me they don't look like cropped. What you have there is a black level clamping problem, mostikely someone touched the internal "do not touch" pots, not all hope is lost yet Smile
Is this an XG135 AC modell, right?

Untuned

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is the air-cooled model. Would this black-level clamping explain why the intensity of the red tube is not uniform across the face? We can also see the vertical line break in the red.
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Untuned wrote:
Yes, it is the air-cooled model. Would this black-level clamping explain why the intensity of the red tube is not uniform across the face? We can also see the vertical line break in the red.

Sure it would.
Before touching anything get some fine tip permanent marker and sign all potentioneter where they are set at the back cage.
Then locate the R BIAS pot on the GAIN CTL board and try to adjust and see if it has effect on the problem?

Untuned

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I did play a little with the R bias, and it certainly makes the red tube brighter. That seems to make what I was seeing go away, but how will that affect overall color??
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a rule of thumb you should set that in a way so with a blank black input signal the disturbances on the raster "behind the signal" become invisible. If these are the only pots those are misaligned in the set, then you don't have to worry about overall color reproduction, although if someone indeed turned that pot away it is unlikey he left the other adjustments untouched...
Untuned

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m having some convergence problems with blue. On the left side of the screen, the blue goes beyond the green and red, but only at the last vertical coarse grid-line, everything lines up elsewhere.
Lining up red was not a problem. It is independent of resolution. Also, some areas of the blue tube appear distorted, like the lines are crooked when seen alone, but seem to straighten out when converging to green. I never saw this on my pgxtra.

I just got a Lumagen HDP, and hooked it up last night. It did not change any of what was happening above, but also, I was not able to get 1080i96 to the projector. I changed the output on the HDP (DVI input, DVI output), then it goes to the Moome external box (1st gen??) to get converted to RGBHV and the projector only sees 59.94Hz. I thought the Moome box supported 96Hz?? Maybe it only supports 72Hz…
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Untuned wrote:
I’m having some convergence problems with blue. On the left side of the screen, the blue goes beyond the green and red, but only at the last vertical coarse grid-line, everything lines up elsewhere.
Lining up red was not a problem. It is independent of resolution. Also, some areas of the blue tube appear distorted, like the lines are crooked when seen alone, but seem to straighten out when converging to green. I never saw this on my pgxtra.

I experienced this very same problem on my XG as well. There is a tiny switch on the C-Drive board near the corner of the PCB, if that switch on it increases the convergence range by about 20%. I turned on this switch and it solved this issue. Of course you have to redo convergence after this action, because the switch sets the gain away.

Untuned

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should I activate the switch on green and red also, or just on blue?
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is only one switch for all.
Untuned

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok good, just one switch. The projector is currently mounted to the ceiling, can I access this switch with the projector in place, or will I have to pull it down?
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can access, but obviously have to flip down the DEF board. Look hard it is indeed a tiny switch.
Untuned

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having difficulty locating this switch. Would you happen to know the number on the schematic that would help me find it??
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Untuned wrote:
I'm having difficulty locating this switch. Would you happen to know the number on the schematic that would help me find it??

I hope this helps.

EDIT: I just faced the fact that the XG...0 does not have that switch, sorry.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: