Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Moving back in the game with 60Hz
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thewolfman

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:28 am    Post subject: Moving back in the game with 60Hz Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I'm finally mastering PowerStrip now and have been having a ball all night long trying to smooth out 72Hz, but it just stutters like hell.

60Hz on the other hand is ALMOST smooth free. That was a surprise!

Using Test UFO.com lets you instantly know which timings are the best for you, personally I haven't even come close to what sixty looks like. I could have had it like this for all these years, for Christ's sake!

I then decided to try even 50Hz, to give headroom even more, and that works just as fine.

Then I tried 800p @ 48Hz, which I think I got to work better then 72 actually, but never saved it as I will try some more later. But 60 rules so far. No wonder I thought my Panasonic bluray player I bought looked so smooth and fluid like on my OLED with Baraka.

But that is on my HP2335 and my OLED, soon I will try it on my pj when the gear gets here. Should be any day now.

But damn, that PowerStrip is good!

Give it ago at:

http://testufo.com/#test=framerates&count=2&background=none&pps=480

Now, the bottom line is: If 50Hz works so well.. well then we can use that with 2160i later. AS you have been messing with too. I always thought that, no!, that can't work, it will flicker like mad. Perhaps not!

It could be just me too I suppose.
justin_f

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

800p? is this for an edge blend? what projector(s)?
thewolfman

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, 800p for the scope screen I have. The black borders on the movies has been removed so it becomes 1920 by 800. Right now, while the projector is down, I practise on the OLED + PC monitor driving them together flawlessly.

Later I want to add a great splitter so I can have all 3 hooked up sharing the same signal - monitor + OLED + pj.

My gear consist off a souped up Marquee 9518 + another 2005 Ultra for spare parts. The re-modded parts are in transit to me now, or any-day now.
thewolfman

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upwards this time.

http://testufo.com/#test=framerates-text
jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Moving back in the game with 60Hz Reply with quote

thewolfman wrote:

It is- lol. 48hz sucks and if you had 72hz working then you'd understand why Kurt and I were pushing to get 200mhz through the Marquee.

You need to invest in an HDfury4 or get a newer radiance. You'll drive yourself mad with that powerstrip crap.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1080P72 requires 180 MHz of clean bandwidth for full resolution. A goal of 200 is overkill. if 1080p72 is as far as you want to go.

Any video card with a 400 MHz RAMDAC has a full 200 MHz of video bandwidth IF the output stage matches that requirement.

1920x800 at 72 Hz only requires 110 MHz bandwidth, easily within the bandwidth range of a stock Marquee.
jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
1080P72 requires 180 MHz of clean bandwidth for full resolution. A goal of 200 is overkill. if 1080p72 is as far as you want to go.

180mhz is fine if you want to have massive jail bars ringing on your image. AFAIC, raster ringing is completely unacceptable for a reference quality image and to get such I'm running 196mhz via porch timing adjustments.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You shouldn't have raster ringing if your video bandwidth is FLAT to the required frequency. So if you need 180 MHz and you have raster ringing, your video chain is not flat to 180.

What you're seeing with raster ringing is phase variations that are the first indicator of running out of bandwidth.

In fact, because of this, increasing your bandwidth until you see raster ringing start is the SIMPLEST method of determining video bandwidth.
jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
You shouldn't have raster ringing if your video bandwidth is FLAT to the required frequency. So if you need 180 MHz and you have raster ringing, your video chain is not flat to 180.

What you're seeing with raster ringing is phase variations that are the first indicator of running out of bandwidth.

In fact, because of this, increasing your bandwidth until you see raster ringing start is the SIMPLEST method of determining video bandwidth.

Raster ringing is caused by HDM/deflection coils. The higher the BW you push the more they become apparent. MP's boards will handle the BW and yet raster ringing remains. If you think your going to run a 1080p/72 image without porch timing adjustment and not have ringing you are crazy. Steve Flynn once told me that there were some HDM's made specifically for Boeing that didn't exhibit this issue although I have never seen one or have heard of a similar sentiment from anyone else.

Quite frankly the cause of the ringing is irrelevant, it's eilimnating this problem that matters and this is one of the prime benefits of video processors and why having one when running a CRT PJ is of paramount importance.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Moving back in the game with 60Hz Reply with quote

jbmeyer13 wrote:
thewolfman wrote:

It is- lol. 48hz sucks and if you had 72hz working then you'd understand why Kurt and I were pushing to get 200mhz through the Marquee.

You need to invest in an HDfury4 or get a newer radiance. You'll drive yourself mad with that powerstrip crap.

I just bought a house today for a silly $3200 from a relative. I plan on ditching my scope screen and get HD fury too.. would HD Fury Integral be future proof choice you think? I want to play around with resolutions beyond 1080p but less then 4K.

I plan on buying a 16:9/2.40 multiscreen instead.
jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fury's customer support is pathetic..the only reason my HDFury4 is working is because Kurt figured out how to program the damn thing and get through all of its glitches. I run 24hz through my Radiance Mini and then convert that to 72hz via the Fury. the Mini can't handle the BW for 72hz. Kurt's XS+ is one of the examples where you can overclock the processor and still have it work. That's not the case with all of them and he admittedly got lucky with his. The newer 21xx series can handle upwards of 250+mhz so they are up to the task with no problem but they carry a hefty price tag.

There is no such thing as future proof in this day and age as UHD is so f'd up. Don't even get Craig Rounds started on that...

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's all new turf for me but glad I got you two to ask when I get there. 21XX will difficult.. ah well, I'll dwell on it and ask around.

But for now, I'll rip my hair out going the distance with 72Hz. What a chocker to see that UFO stutter like that.. unbelievable.

Btw, there is a pre-mode there called Marquee and wonder if the maker of this program is a well know figure here?
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct, there are two causes of raster ringing and one is in the deflection circuits. They, too, need to have the required bandwidth and they need to drive both coils equally to a high degree of precision. The coils themselves need to be well matched. I believe that in some cases, having a small variable inductor in series with each coil to allow for deflection coil matching could be helpful.

But which is the cause of the problem IS relevant, because you can't fix deflection ringing in the video chain. Or vice versa.
thewolfman

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh come on! The author of this program is here with us @ the CP site?
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
I believe that in some cases, having a small variable inductor in series with each coil to allow for deflection coil matching could be helpful.

AFAIK the width coils are just those..

View user's photo album (1 photos)
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two different things: In a Marquee, the adjustable coils are used to match the image width of the three rasters.
There's one coil for each tube in the high scan rate band, and one coil for each tube in the low scan rate band.

But matching the inductance of the two separate coils in the deflection yoke that make up the horizontal coil system is a different thing, one not addressed in the Marquee circuits.
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
Two different things: In a Marquee, the adjustable coils are used to match the image width of the three rasters.
There's one coil for each tube in the high scan rate band, and one coil for each tube in the low scan rate band.

But matching the inductance of the two separate coils in the deflection yoke that make up the horizontal coil system is a different thing, one not addressed in the Marquee circuits.

But the coil inductance affects the width...

cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it does, but it changes the width because it's in series with the ENTIRE deflection yoke, (H windings) and not just ONE of those windings. So adjusting the width coil does not change the balance of inductance between the two windings. Or at least that is how I interpret the schematic. As it does not alter the balance of the windings, it doesn't have any effect on ringing.
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And why coil matching has influence on ringing? Ringing is a side effect of the imperfect discharge of the retrace pulse (energy stored in all coils). Also I don't think the manufacturing tolerance of the coils are bigger than 1%, rigning is certainly more pronounced than that.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, believe me, I did a test which proved beyond any doubt that ringing is one effect of imbalanced deflection coils.

I inserted a variable inductor in the coil circuit while I was investigating how to incorporate G90 deflection coils into a Marquee, so that I could also put G90 focus coils in as well, and when I inserted the variable inductor in series with ONE of the deflection coils, raster ringing was DRAMATIC. That showed me that coil balance affects raster ringing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: