Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

JVC DLA X3/DLA-RS40 Flashing amber and red lights.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
incova

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:49 pm    Post subject: JVC DLA X3/DLA-RS40 Flashing amber and red lights. Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi Guys,

I have had a crt pj (Ampro 4600 HD) for years but I no longer have any time to change stuff around or fix it as its getting old in the tooth so I thought I would try out a JVC projector.

I managed to snag a x3 which I think is the RS40 for about 370 usd with emitter 4 glasses remote and a bulb with 35 hours on it, the caveat being its was not working and has flashing red and amber lights. The seller thought a update could take care of this. I went to the jvc site downloaded the update and now I have got the xp mode patch for windows as I have a 64 bit version on on the pc I am going to use to try and flash the firmware. The seller stated that the pj's test menus and lens adjustments worked fine but I am not sure of how to access this to test that, any advice would be great.

Right now any advice on the pj would be good just to see if I can get it up and running.

Much appreciated.

Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, so you swapped a CRT that needed work for a digital that needed work. Your sentiment of not having time to work on the Ampro now makes no sense. Very Happy

I'd like to help, but know nothing about the JVCs, sorry!
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:38 am    Post subject: Re: JVC DLA X3/DLA-RS40 Flashing amber and red lights. Reply with quote

incova wrote:
I managed to snag a x3 which I think is the RS40 for about 370 usd with emitter 4 glasses remote and a bulb with 35 hours on it, the caveat being its was not working and has flashing red and amber lights. The seller thought a update could take care of this.

I'm afraid that doesn't make much sense. If the projector doesn't work at all, a software update won't 'fix' it.

If all it took was a quick software update the seller would have done this himself in 2 minutes and sold the projector for considerably more money. If the projector doesn't work at all, you pretty much need to send it in for repair, same as all digitals.

You can try the update if you like, I just don't think it'll make any difference. I don't think the fact that you're running 64 bit is an issue - the instructions to update are here:

http://pro.jvc.com/pro/attributes/PRESENT/soft/rs40_firmware_manual_EN.pdf

And they state that you need "A Standard PC running Windows XP™ or Later with a USB Port.".

To pull up test menus and other adjustments, hit the "MENU" button on the remote.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me know if you want to part out the 4600HD. I call dibs on the tubes and magnetics, maybe the lenses, too, if the tubes
are in good enough shape, that is!
incova

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject: Hey guys Reply with quote

Hi Curt,

I knew someone would say that, I did say it to myself! The main issue with my ampro was the surges and power supply problems to be honest, I have had a good run from it and may try to get her running again but it has been difficult. Most of my ampro parts I got from you but you are quite a distance away and I am in the UK. I got it originally as it came with a spare set of tubes and at around $50 was a good deal, never regretted it even after shipping.

Kal I did try to use the menu button on the JVC nothing worked, the seller stated it did work and you could see the setup menu. I pointed the remote at the back front up down and the remote comes on but no signal seems to get through, I have heard of this issue with jvc,s but as the seller had the screen up I did not think it had this issue. From the screen shot he took and what he said the lens and the bulb seemed to be working. As for the update you are probably right but there are quite a few people out there who are not at all like our little group and will not even try and get their pj working themselves.

Hi Cm, my previous green tube had arcing I switched it out with another I had. Tubes are in very good condition in the ampro I put in green and red c elements and the lenses are HD 10f. I may try and get it working as I stated, everythings set up so we will see.

Most likely I seem to have been sold a brick but thanks for the suggestion Kal I just thought I may need an input so thats the problem.

mp20748

TV/Projector: 9500LC Ultra / Super 02 and 03 VIM

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That indication could mean it needs lamp reset or there's a problem with the Lamp Power Supply

Red Flashing - During cool down

Orange Flashing - lamp has exceeded 2900 hours.

Does the lamp come on at all?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, the owner's manual is here:

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/inst_man.jsp?model_id=MDL102022&feature_id=11

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey guys Reply with quote

incova wrote:
...but as the seller had the screen up I did not think it had this issue. From the screen shot he took and what he said the lens and the bulb seemed to be working.

Did you see the projector running in person?

Kal

incova

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:46 pm    Post subject: Hello! Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

The seller stated

"projector went into a mode with flashing red and amber lights with no image. All the test menus and lens adjustments worked fine. I believe from the Internet that a firmware update corrects this.
Extremely good condition. Recent new bulb showing 37 Hours only use."

I can now say thats true the projector came on I pressed menu on the pj and hours on the bulb are 37.

I then hooked up a dvd player and it locked up with no image.

The lens cover is open I cannot put it off and the standby light is a solid red, the lamp light is amber the warning light is red.

The lamp light and warning light seem to be flashing twice with the standby light on red.

mp20748

TV/Projector: 9500LC Ultra / Super 02 and 03 VIM

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not really repaired many smaller digitals and no JVC's at all. But one thing that's common with the technology (lamp), and that is when the LEDs flash or become an indicator that something is wrong. The problem is usually always the one of the Lamp, Lamp Power Supply or Fan.

I've serviced a many work site with the smaller digital projector, where the about was the problem. One thing you should always have around is a lamp. That is to never throw away an old lamp that has been replaced with a new lamp, because you will need it when problems like this show up. So all of the sites had used or old lamps for test purposes. The old lamp is needed because of the sensitivity of the lamp power supplies. Not all lamps work properly with the lamp power supplies, and even with a low hour lamp, the power supply can still reject it later.

The first thing I would suggest is to replace the lamp. It has that low hour rate that usually goes with this problem. If the lamp checks good after replacement, make sure the fan works and that the speed it turns seems reasonable.
incova

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:53 pm    Post subject: Running Pj Reply with quote

Hi Kal, no it was on the other side of the UK so I took a plunge and went for it, I never saw it running.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: