Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Barco 1209s and 4K
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Cool - Thanks for the link!

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do distinctly remember reading that an accepted industry standard for MTF evaluation for CRT is 15 percent measured MTF at 10 percent of rated max beam current. I seem to have not bookmarked that page so I haven't relocated it yet.

If I do, I'll post it.
Mr Jaeger

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
I do distinctly remember reading that an accepted industry standard for MTF evaluation for CRT is 15 percent measured MTF at 10 percent of rated max beam current. I seem to have not bookmarked that page so I haven't relocated it yet.

If I do, I'll post it.

Not all you read is true, also have to think logic even with CRT Smile

We need as high MTF as possible to resolve HD best, all type of technology need that. I will not go for the minimum requirements sorry to say that Smile
But no CRT lenses yet are good enough for 1080P or higher. And will cost a lot to produce.
You see that form the test very clear, and also see it.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree with the statement that no CRT lenses are good enough for 1080p. We do it all the time and have very well resolved images and test patterns at that resolution. in fact they're good enough to show that our limitations on getting higher resolutions are NOT in the lens. Otherwise, you'd be saying that those who have posted well resolved images of resolution test patterns are lying, and I don't think that they'd appreciate that.

However, I'm not going to say that there aren't sharper lenses to be had. Just not likely for CRT.

I did a quick and simple test using an LED flashlight with a square LED chip in it, one with about 21 separate emitter connections,
which can be easily seen if you refocus the beam with a second lens.

Using this as a substitute for a CRT I was able to get a pretty cleanly resolved image of the LED chip face with an HD-10L lens.

Then I switched to a Minolta DLP lens made for the first generation 3 chip DLP machines (800x600 resolution or up to 1280x1024 at maximum) and did the same test.

There was absolutely no doubt that the DLP lens is much sharper. The difference wasn't even close.

But the DLP lens is too small in diameter (roughly 50mm/2.5 inches at the input aperture) to be usable with CRT.

So what's the problem? Why are our hideously expensive CRT lenses so relatively soft in focus?

It's because they have internal focusing mechanisms which complicate the optics and compromise image quality.

And it's because it becomes more difficult to optimize lens performance in a variable lens as it gets bigger. And by any standard,
your CRT HD-10 series lenses are enormous. They're the largest refractive optical lens assemblies I know of outside of some
ungodly expensive camera lenses used for special applications, and very rare and unusually large refractor telescopes.
Mr Jaeger

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can disagree all you want, CRT lenses are NOT good enough for 1080p. I just letting you know the truth.

Okey let me say it like this. This is not hard to understand.
We need as high MTF as possible to resolve HD best, all type of technology need that. No one will go for the minimum requirements.

Info: Accepted industry standard for MTF 720P, 1080P, 4K evaluation for any type of lens are minimum 50% to accept the resolution. But am shore its something else for CRT lenses Smile
ElTopo

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you see is what you get and that is great with HFQ900.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElTopo wrote:
What you see is what you get and that is great with HFQ900.

Correct, you get what you get and if your happy with it, let it rest.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: