Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Anode/cap removal on CRT monitor help

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:44 pm    Post subject: Anode/cap removal on CRT monitor help Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I need to remove the anode/cap on a CRT monitor tube, I want to be clear on how to do this before I proceed since its not quite a CRT projector.

The service manual says to short the anode and the CRT tube AFTER removal of the anode/cap correct? Not before? I don't want to die repairing an old CRT monitor lol.

I have included a photo of the Service manual cap removal procedure as well:

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never done the procedure so I cannot say. Everything that I've read and seen indicates that it should be shorted beforehand, but what do I know?
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's identical to this:

http://www.curtpalme.com/HV_Lead_Removal.shtm

Usually the HV lead isn't siliconed in place though. What I do is use an alligator clip clipped to a small insulated screwdriver. The other end of the alligator clip is clipped to the chassis (ground). Wiggle the screwdriver tip under the anode cap to discharge the anode lead. Any picture tube over about 10" will store a tiny bit of a charge, and if you're sensitive to shocks, carrying the tube and touching that hole at the anode cap, you might feel it. (I use a 32" CRT tube to jumpstart my heart every morning. Wink )

It's a good idea to do it when you put the tube back in, as the tube can charge up sitting on a table. Touch the alligator clip to the anode hole, and the other end held to the aquadag (conductive gray coating on the outside of the tube) to discharge it. You won't get any big ZAP as the tube discharges, and it takes a split second to discharge.
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it off, thanks Curt!

So, checked out all the areas the service manual tells me to check, and the flyback transformer is shorted out (would make sense since with the error code the monitor was giving) All the other components read almost dead on to what they should.

So, I need a new FBT, the Sony part number is: 8-598-873-00 So I'm wondering Curt, if you know of one that would be compatible with it? I couldn't find one on ebay.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: