Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

8500 Ultra Blue Tube MASSIVELY BRIGHT. Like a spotlight.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
listenlounge

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:28 am    Post subject: 8500 Ultra Blue Tube MASSIVELY BRIGHT. Like a spotlight. Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi peoples
As mentioned. I bought a NOS 9500LC Ultra Chassis from Curt earlier this year. ( The one where the new tubes were BROKEN in transit ( Sad Face Sad Face ). I put my 180DMB's ( new set ) into it and my HD145's on the front. Nice little zero hour set.

Watched the new Bourne Movie last Saturday and once it was finished - Boom - Blue as far as the eye can see, can still see the pic, but like it is overdriven. Blue enough to look like a BSOD on a windows computer.

Havent touched anything yet, except to try switching inputs from the Moome back to another input, removed all signal cables, checked G2 levels, drives and sub-brites and it all looks solid.

Any thoughts?

I've got a movie marathon planned this weekend......

Thank You
barclay66

TV/Projector: Marquee 9500 Ultra

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: 8500 Ultra Blue Tube MASSIVELY BRIGHT. Like a spotlight. Reply with quote

listenlounge wrote:
Havent touched anything yet, except to try switching inputs from the Moome back to another input, removed all signal cables, checked G2 levels, drives and sub-brites and it all looks solid.

Hi,

Are You referring to the values You're seeing on the screen or did You take voltage measurements?
CAUTION: When trying to measure the G2 voltages, You should have in mind that You're dealing with voltages up to 1,000 volts!

A tube being massively bright usually indicates either a problem with the amplifier section on the neck board or a missing G2 voltage at the tube.
CAUTION: Switching off the projector with this condition could result in spot burn!
Before shutting off, You should pull the two-pin plug (P14: Tube heater supply) located on the upper main board, just under the blue tube's neck board cage. Wait until the picture dims down, then switch the PJ off, wait 5 seconds and plug P14 back in.

This is what You can do:

- Verify that the G2 jumper wire is firmly connected to the blue tube (compare with another tube)
- Verify that the G2 lead to the neck board is seated firmly
- Verify that the cable harness to the blue neck board is seated correctly and that no pins are bent

If there's no obvious problem with the cabling, then there are some additional tests:

- Try to swap the G2 lead between the blue tube and the green tube (if now the green tube becomes bright, the problem could be related to the HVPS where the G2 voltages originate from)

- If the problem stays with the blue tube, swap the neck boards between the blue and the green tube (if now the green tube becomes bright, then the problem is a faulty neck board; if the blue still is bright, You may have a bad tube)

Regards,
barclay66
View user's photo album (25 photos)
listenlounge

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mate
I haven't pulled out any of my meters yet to test the voltage. I did try to adjust the G2 just now and regardless of what the setting was, the brightness remained constant.

I have a spare set of neck boards, and a spare set of tubes, and a spare HVPS. I will do as you say and test them in order.

Appreciate your help, very informative.

Ben
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barclay has it correct. A super bright blue tube isn't dangerous to the tube (or you), unless you power down... possibily. What I would do at this point is look into the blue tube to make sure you don't have a spot burn in the middle of the tube face. IF not.... good! Smile

Leave the blue neck board connected, but pull iit off the tube neck. Measure the G2 voltage that should be somewhere between 300-600 volts or so. If it's higher then your HVPS or G2 control circuits may be bad), or you may have had what's called the G2 'snap" (I think that's what Tim calls it'), where the CLM glitches and sets the G2 setting to 100. If you have no G2 voltage on the white wire, then trace back to the G2 pin to see if you have G2 voltage coming from the HVPS.

I've had solder joints and resistors crack on the neck board, causing an open circuit right by the G2 pin.

Worst case, you have a shorted tube, but MArquee tubes don't typically do that.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the white flying lead on the neck board even properly connected to pin 2? Caution, that wire carries up to about 600 volts
so be sure not to touch the open electrical contact at the end of it!

If it's a G2 problem, then you should see brighter diagonal lines on the face of the tube, brighter than the rest of the raster.

Shutting down a Marquee in this condition will almost always result in a spot burned tube.

The way to save the tube in this condition is to pull off the P14 filament voltage supply plug off the motherboard. It is
located very close to the neck card cage, underneath it, under the blue tube.

The safest way to do this is to pull off the side cover and the metal shield under the side cover and then you can easily
and safely reach the P14 plug.

Pull the plug and wait until all traces of image are gone from the CRT face. Then power down the unit and then reconnect
the P14 plug. Then look for the possibility that the G2 lead may simply have come off its pin. Which is pin 2 if your tubes
are P19LCPs. Pin 2 is the clockwise pin in the two pins that are in their own compartment on the tube base.

I HAVE seen Marquee neck cards fail in such a way that G2 failed to function properly. Which is absolutely bizarre as the entire
G2 circuit on the neck card is literally three resistors and one capacitor. I have a couple of those cards in the "Some day I will
try to fix that problem" pile.
listenlounge

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the help
It is not the neck board. I switched out a neck board for a spare i had here. No difference.
Curt - yep, diagonal lines.
Spot burn, not yet, but when it powers down I see the beam current centre out as the sweeps die and i reckon if i keep doing it i'll screw the tube. I do have a brand new set of tubes, not that that is an excuse to toast one "for fun"

What I want to do next is test for g2 voltage at the connector to the neck board and the white wire to the tube.

My plan of attack is

1. Pull out the HVPS and check the contacts and seating in the connector for proper mating.
2. Put back said HVPS.
3. Pull the HV lead to the blue tube, insulate the open socket on the HV splitter to prevent arcing to ground and power the step up - i.e. without HV to the blue tube.
4. Meter the voltage coming into and out of the neck board.

Sound reasonable?

Another step? A better way?

I also have a spare HVPS here if needed. Matter of fact, I've got a spare everything.

Do you guys remember "Short Circuit" where Number 5 built an entire replica robot of himself from spare parts? And then sent it in to be blown up?

Love that movie. Steve Gutenberg. Ally Sheedy.

Cheers all

Ben
barclay66

TV/Projector: Marquee 9500 Ultra

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Swapping the HVPS with the spare one should be enough for the moment. You only need to do the other things if You're planning to repair the HVPS...

Regards,
barclay66
View user's photo album (25 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: