Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Samsung audio out

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject: Samsung audio out Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I bought a 55" Samsung LED over the weekend, model UN55J620D. The speakers are mediocre, and the manual (ha!) is useless.

I was going to hook it up to my stereo, but I can't use the optical audio with my old Hafler preamp. It has an "AUDIO OUT" port, but I can't figure out what it is. It has a square black "box" projecting out about 1/4" with a hole in the middle. It doesn't look like a typical 1/8" audio jack. I tried plugging in a set of headphones but, without forcing, the 1/8" plug won't go in.

I've googled and I found nothing.

Any guesses what that "AUDIO OUT" is?

Maybe I just need a digital-analog converter like this one...
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a cap for the TOSLINK, no?

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the optical connector is just above the EX-LINK at lower left. I think that's an RC-5720 connector (square on one side, rounded on the other), which is one of the physical connector standards for TOSLINK.

The "cap" on the AUDIO OUT doesn't seem to move, at least not with finger force. I saw one mention for a different Samsung model that suggested it really IS an 1/8" stereo jack, just with plastic parts and a very snug fit. I'm just a little leery to jam a 1/8" plug in there without being fairly sure what it is.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a cheapie optical to dual RCA converter on eBay. Fastest and cheapest way to go.
Godzilla2000

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a 1/8th standard audio out. It plugs right into the block. Just get a 1/8 to RCA breakout cable and your good. I hook up dozens of these a week
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'll jam a 1/8" in there. Thanks!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
OK, I'll jam a 1/8" in there. Thanks!

Must....ressittt.....juvenile.....joke. Laughing

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since WHEN!?? LOL

Godzilla was right. There IS a 1/8" jack in there. But the sound seems distorted somehow. I'm in the middle of a remodel so my stereo gear is all packed up, but on a cheap headset it sounded bad, and the dialog was barely audible over the soundtrack and sound effects. I'll have to feed it into a decent system to tell if it's listenable or not. I haven't seen any complaints so maybe it's just something weird about the headset.
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Gary, your problem just made me decide against Samsung. I do not mind products with limited or stripped down features, but I draw the line on User Manuals that are intended to discourage buyers. With the Billions of dollars that Samsung has I guess they think American low-end consumers can just go f- themselves. Too bad.

I thought LG was bad, but Samsung takes it to a whole new level.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did manage to find a better user manual on the Samsung website. It's generic for many TVs so it doesn't cover specific features of my TV very well, but a lot of the features &etc are basic software that's the same across many models. It's 135 pages so it's a lot more detailed than the waste-of-paper manual that came with the set. For my specific AUDIO OUT question, their diagram shows a standard 1/8" jack instead of the little black box I have, but it's clearly a 1/8" plug. The still-semi-worthless manual doesn't SAY what you should plug into it, but the picture shows a 1/8".
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: