Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

What would YOU do with a Barco Cine 9 ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
ElTopo wrote:
It's a Sony VW365 not a VW350.

This is capable of HDR.

Any other input which pushes ne back to the Cine 9 ?

It seems like you are already made a decision, you just fear to admit yourself? Besides, this question pretty much sounds like debate over whether you should hang on to your classic Lamborghini or to your newer Ferrari? They are not the same, both have advantages or disadvanages over the other, but also both are pretty much better what an average person would appreciate. I think you are the only one who can decide this (based your emotions and not by specifications).

View user's photo album (1 photos)
ElTopo

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not easy.

At the monent the Sony hangs on the ceiling.

The Sony has some advantages but also negatives.

A Cine9 throws a beautiful image with superb blacks.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe i should do a battle between the two Wink

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="gjaky"][quote="ElTopo"]It's a Sony VW365 not a VW350.

This is capable of HDR.

Any other input which pushes ne back to the Cine 9 ?[/quote]

It seems like you are already made a decision, you just fear to admit yourself? Besides, this question pretty much sounds like debate over whether you should hang on to your classic Lamborghini or to your newer Ferrari? They are not the same, both have advantages or disadvanages over the other, but also both are pretty much better what an average person would appreciate. I think you are the only one who can decide this (based your emotions and not by specifications).[/quote]

I sell the Es365 and it's a far cry from a good 9" crt but what do I know :mrgreen:
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 909/Cine 9 is one of the true top gun CRT projectors ever made. If you have one, you should definitely give it a trial in your home theater and determine for yourself what you think of it.

It should not even be difficult to install the Sony projector right below it (it's a lot lighter, you know) so you can A/B compare both projectors on the same scren. Then you will KNOW.

And then you make your decision. Sell the loser, keep the winner.

You can do the comparison even if you end up putting the 909 on a table below the installed Sony unit. For comparative purposes this is quick and easy.
ElTopo

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cine9 back online.

Sony on the ceiling Barco on the floor.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some shots of the Cine9

IMG_0582.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  87.24 KB
 Viewed:  12393 Time(s)

IMG_0582.JPG

IMG_0581.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  148.06 KB

IMG_0581.JPG

IMG_0578.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  78.95 KB

IMG_0578.JPG

IMG_0577.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  103.08 KB

IMG_0577.JPG

IMG_0576.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  115.67 KB

IMG_0576.JPG

IMG_0574.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  111.65 KB

IMG_0574.JPG

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2017 and CRT is still here Thumbs Up

The build quality of the entry digitals up to 10K $ is bad.

Sony VW365 -> ceiling mounted does not focus 100% because of the chassis. you have to put it in a table/front config

Epson UB6040 -> projector shutted down 2 x times yesterday. lamp blinks. This has about 250 hours on the counter from new

cheers
ElTopo

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the upper and lower plates of the CM100 now.

What do you think ?!

Time to put the Cine9 onto the ceiling ?

cheers

Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice screenshots!

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Mr Jaeger

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElTopo wrote:
True Thumbs Up

Question is going with both or let the Sony go.

Are you serious? Let the Sony go, or changed your mind?
Not that your Cine9 is bad, that's a great CRT but, its 2017 not 2000.

You don't get the same black like your Cine9, If you wanted that you should have picket a JVC with double iris. But also depends on what you favor in a picture.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HANG THE 909.

Mount the flashlight under it.

Best of both worlds.

Yes, even in 2017, a 909 looks more real than any flashlight and flashlights are looking quite good these days.
Mr Jaeger

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have kept both as well ElTopo
the Cine9 look good. And the Sony look good.
I calibrated a Cine9 some time ago and it looked very nice. But like someone said here do a side by side instant switch.
Then you see differences.
I want perfection, with calibrating and picture, no CRT can compete with that.
But if you have open eye to both technologies, you find positive and negative sides with both.

And if we speak about "look more real in 2017" that is that persons own opinion not mine.
I like to keep all my statements as true as possible not false or fantasy. Smile
ElTopo

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fade to black is still awesome on a CRT Thumbs Up
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
It should not even be difficult to install the Sony projector right below it (it's a lot lighter, you know) so you can A/B compare both projectors on the same scren. Then you will KNOW. And then you make your decision. Sell the loser, keep the winner. You can do the comparison even if you end up putting the 909 on a table below the installed Sony unit. For comparative purposes this is quick and easy.

Not to sound like broken record, but anyone who wants to A/B compare a digital with a CRT should not be doing what Chris recommends. Install the digital CORRECTLY: Not directly below the CRT projector. It'll be WAAAY too close and will compromise contrast ratio which digital really needs to help when comparing the CRT projectors.

Nobody would expect to be able to do a proper A/B comparison if the CRT projector was installed twice as far back as it should and is only using 1/2 the phosphor area. Why do people recommend just installing digitals haphazardly for comparison? Do it right.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Mr Jaeger

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal have a point here. Must be important,Do it right.

Both must be calibrated up to its best. If you don't calibrate ask for the correct settings on your digital. The Sony's are quit good out of the boks with the right adjustment and settings.
Light output must be putt around reference.14-16FL on the Sony or higher, you get a descent contrast.
And use what you can on the Cine9.
If you brightness match to a CRT its like killing the dynamic in your Sony Completely. Then if you are under 14-16FL.

Remember: Brightness match as good as possible 14-16FL
Gamma: same target power gamma on both. 2.4. 2.3 or what you prefer.

Check different material bright, medium, dark scenes.
Look at dynamics,sharpness, debth, naturalness, "real feeling" resolution

Your Crt will be visible better in near dark scenes, and for shore fade to black. The rest I don't need to tell you, you will experience that yourselves. for shore. If this 4K Sony have auto iris use that on auto high.

Have fun Smile
napos

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having experienced the panel degradation problem first hand, my advice to you is to get rid of the Sony while you still can. You really don't want to end up with a 7.000 Euro paper weight. I have completely lost trust in Sony, and no matter what they say, all SXRD panels are affected. I had the same issue with a VW-10HT, a friend of mine experienced it with a Ruby, and another friend with the VW-95ES. The projector ends up being unusable with a washed out image, and the only option is to replace the optical block or buy a new projector (which in some cases ends up being cheaper than replacing the optical block!). Have a look at the corresponding thread over at AVS Forum.
Definitely keep the Cine 9, and if you also want a digital, go with one of the latest JVC models. Since you are in Europe, the models that DO NOT have lamp issues are all those following the x35, x55, x75, x95 series (The X35 series also does not have lamp issues). Hope that helps you out!

Last edited by napos on Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr Jaeger

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its really bad that Sony have not fixed this panel degradation problem. I've had a VW500ES and measured around 3000:1 after around 1000 hours. My Sony got more and more gray, and we don't like that much. Sad
napos

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Jaeger wrote:
Its really bad that Sony have not fixed this panel degradation problem. I've had a VW500ES and measured around 3000:1 after around 1000 hours. My Sony got more and more gray, and we don't like that much. Sad

Yes, it's really a shame, since the SXRD projectors throw a really nice image. The only viable digital alternative to a CRT projector is a JVC projector, provided it doesn't fall into the units that had lamp issues (2010-2012 models: X3 and X30 series). I currently have a JVC HD750 (RS20 in the US), which I am using in another home where I don't have a CRT installed. Very pleased with it, even if it is an older model.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

napos wrote:
Mr Jaeger wrote:

Yes, it's really a shame, since the SXRD projectors throw a really nice image. The only viable digital alternative to a CRT projector is a JVC projector, provided it doesn't fall into the units that had lamp issues (2010-2012 models: X3 and X30 series). I currently have a JVC HD750 (RS20 in the US), which I am using in another home where I don't have a CRT installed. Very pleased with it, even if it is an older model.

True. I have had a x3 since early 2011. It had some problems with the lamps in the start. Some flickering, and I had a lamp that died after 1400hrs.

I have used this projector probably over 10k hrs. When I ordered lamp number 3, things changed it was defintitve a change plenty more light output, 100% stable and very litle drift in color temp and little drop in light output.

I am quite confident that they use the same lamp has in the new projectors, but just put in the x3 lamp housing. The first lamp I had of this type I used for 4500hrs before I changed it, and I could have used it even longer.

After 10k hours, it still have good gamma tracking and contrast 35000:1 in mid-throw.

Shame about the Sony SXRD, very good projectors, especially the 1100, but how fast the degrade, it is disaster, and cant understand that people still are buying new Sony SXRD projectors.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: