Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

MPMODS - my latest
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mp20748

TV/Projector: 9500LC Ultra / Super 02 and 03 VIM

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Well, look what happened after I matched the neck board to the green CRT. Same everything on settings, with the image being sharper and less blooming on green. Yet it's still not there with Red and Blue, but somehow the image got more intense after the matching..

mp20748

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mp20748

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

High Performance

mp20748

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clean, Tight, and Noiseless

mp20748

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to look past the graininess of my last four shots (crappy camera problem), do anyone know out of those four shots, which one of the four creates the biggest challenge for the video chain?

I'm also getting a better camera soon. Oh and there is no Darbee or any processing going on in any of them. A cheap Blue-Ray player plugged directly into the Moome card on the projector. The last time I've touched-up focus and convergence was about two weeks ago, so there is some convergence being off to be expected. We're not looking at convergence and focus so much here though.
gregstv

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The second last one?
thewolfman

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a sucker for close face ups and think that the last one is about to pop out the screen! What's good, for me, is that you are running my unit so pretty stoked about it, as you say. Post some more. Smile
mp20748

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the first one
mp20748

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a difference a set of special cables can make.

Digital Data cable (5 mhz) solid core. Really tough stuff to work with and not easy to install, but just think about the capacitance difference between 100mhz cable and 5 ghz cable and you'll understand what capacitance can do to slow down a video chain and crush low end performance. I also have to mention here that the VIM and Neck boards used here unlike stock boards, have been matched (impedance/gain). Not sure why gamma would be necessary when this is done right.

The Low End performance is at an entirely different level, and I've still yet to touch-up anything on the projector. But will be installing a new Green Lug first part of the new year...

[url][/url]
[url][/url]
[url][/url]
[url][/url]
[url][/url]
[url][/url]
[url][/url]
[url][/url]
[url][/url]
[url][/url]
[url][/url]

Very low capacitance Monster Cables..
[url][/url]
thewolfman

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should sell these as well as mods. Make a bit of extra money, I can't be the only one being a sucker for good looking cables. As a matter of fact, I can't help but salvivate.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mp20748 wrote:
What a difference a set of special cables can make. Digital Data cable (5 mhz) solid core.

Where are the cables used Mike?

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
mp20748

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thewolfman wrote:
You should sell these as well as mods. Make a bit of extra money, I can't be the only one being a sucker for good looking cables. As a matter of fact, I can't help but salvivate.

I was using a different cable until I found out they were also more suited for 1280X1024. They were also larger in size than the stock cables, but still not low enough in capacitance for these particular Mods. They won't make for an clean install, because they would protrude from the back of the projector. Not something I would want to get into doing too often, because they're not fun to make.

I'll also make me a set, but will most likely solder then to the VIM itself. If doing that I would have to solder the mini RCA's directly to the male connector to make sure it's true 75 ohm impedance. That requires that with any particular length of cables for 75ohm impedance, the connections on both ends be matching. Most of the CRT projectors are using odd-ball neck board to input board connections that do have honor the 75ohm matching. Barco gets around it by doing 50ohm. What they use on the G90 (flat cables - looks similar to 50ohm antenna wire) is the weirdest thing I've even seen.

Anyway, I got into better matching the neck boards to the VIM, and came up with a more precise High Bandwidth, Low capacitance and FAST impedance matched connection from the neck boards to the VIM.
mp20748

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
mp20748 wrote:
What a difference a set of special cables can make. Digital Data cable (5 mhz) solid core.

Where are the cables used Mike?

Kal

I'm using them to replace the 100mhz cables that connect the neck boards to the VIM. The stock cables capacitance would make them great for anything 1280X1024 and below. Anything above that, you would have to shorten the cables to maybe 10 inches to avoid capacitance roll-off.
digitalayon

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dang Mike.....I can't wait!!!
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok - gotcha. So it's used to pass an analog signal. The "digital cable" comment had me scratching my head a bit. So you're using a cable that's marketed as a "digital" cable to pass analog because it has behaviour/performance that benefits analog signals in terms of response/slew/etc.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
mp20748

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice screenshots Mike. Have to agree with you the image from LUG's (on a G90 in my case) look incredible. I recently had my G90 calibrated and the improvement was quantum leap. Partly because colorimetry is now controlled by the Lumagen XE+ and that I'm running 1080P/72Hz.

Your BA board mod is also working its magic with the CR.

Can any of your more recent mods be utilized on the G90?
mp20748

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaydnG90 wrote:
Nice screenshots Mike. Have to agree with you the image from LUG's (on a G90 in my case) look incredible. I recently had my G90 calibrated and the improvement was quantum leap. Partly because colorimetry is now controlled by the Lumagen XE+ and that I'm running 1080P/72Hz.

Your BA board mod is also working its magic with the CR.

Can any of your more recent mods be utilized on the G90?

It's been awhile since working on the G90. So I've not done much since you got your G90 mods. I have another modified BA board I'll first see if Craig can use it. And its good seeing you're still with the G90 and that BA board is still working magic for you.

Concerning the LUG's, they are a very different CRT. You may read in some threads where the LUG is comparable to any other CRT, or that the difference is minor. The LUG is a very different CRT in a lot of ways, and It is truly a higher performance tube.
mp20748

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I finished my HVPS Mod. Took awhile using the same mod design used with my LVPS. That is by having access to the innards of these boards during operation, I'm able to run down certain noises at the actual source. And also able to suppress or eliminate it. Two things needed attention on the LVPS for this. And these particular mods are only necessary for me very latest. Not needed or necessary on earlier versions at all. I'm running a different set of boards right now, that are LUG specific. I'll try and post back with a few shots showing how these neck boards work differently on the LUG's opposed to the LCP's. I'll use the SMPTE to show what is so obvious...

These shots are only trying to show how well the cleaner supply will help bring out detail in darker areas and the ability to show low light distortions. The camera really sucks on this, but it kinda shows some of what's on the screen.

mp20748

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more after the PJ warmed up a bit. As can be seen I really need to do the convergence and focus better, but that won't happen until I replace the green CRT, and I really need a better camera that will capture the scenes better. But for now, I'm only trying to show the clarity of the images.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 3 of 13
Jump to: