Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

OLD Marquee LC assembly glycol leak

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:02 am    Post subject: OLD Marquee LC assembly glycol leak Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Something to watch out for if you have any old (say 10 years old or more) Marquee LC assemblies.

I had an older assembly sitting on my shelf, with a worn tube, that I hadn't gotten around to taking apart and
pulling the tube out. It's just not that important to me to do that given that I have maybe sixty sets of LC hardware
if I need to pot up a tube.

But I moved the tube as I was trying to reorganize to get some space back, and found a small puddle of glycol under it.

I know that tube hadn't leaked before. It was bone dry outside when I pulled it from the projector several months ago.

The tube is in storage in a NON-air conditioned storage unit. That might be important.

So I investigate this leaker and discover, to my surprise, that the leak is coming from between the tube glass
and the silicone potting!

The potting is clearly a factory Electrohome or early VDC job, perfectly done, smooth, clean, and shiny, with that
distinctive dark grey silicone that Electrohome used.

That silicone is something I like to find if I do have to yank a tube out because it's easy to pry it out in big chunks,
far faster than the time it takes to cut any other kind of silicone out. This silicone is hard, not very flexible, and has
a friable character to it. You break it up rather than cut it up.

Well, to make a longish story short, the potting had failed around the tube and you could actually move the tube
around a little in the potting while it was still fully potted. I didn't have to break out much of the potting to get the
tube out, and when I did, the tube came out with NO potting compound still adhered to the sides.

If it happened once, it could happen again. So watch for that if you have a mystery leaker.
Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey CM

I wonder if the glycol had pressurized with water due to the humidity there? I have seen a few do that; the tube face cracked but the bellows held!
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's possible. It did have the old style bellows that sweat. When I encounter those I slice them up so nobody can ever
make the mistake of trying ot reuse them.

I've never seen any such issues with the newer bellows VDC started using some years ago.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: