Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Sony G90 adventure
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Full spray rig. This is Axalta Chromabase system automotive urethane, basecoat/clearcoat, not available in spray cans.

Of COURSE, one or two bugs decided to do the "suicide in amber" thing in my nice shiny clearcoats, so I ended up
wet sanding the parts dead flat and then compounded and polished them to full piano gloss. That's where most of the labor is.

I also build guitars, so I've got more dyes on hand than you can shake a stick at. But no RIT. For blackening the inside of the mating surface of two parts, the sharpie worked great and it's dirt cheap and very easy.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The top section will be completed and on the PJ late Tuesday, possibly Wednesday. No rush.
I'm NOT in a big hurry to dismount the Marquee, figure out how to rework the ceiling mount system, replace the existing hoist-pulley system with one with more leverage, and mount the G90. That's half a day's work with help and if everything goes right. (It won't.)

After showing photos of the completed set, I may offer a custom G90 case painting package for those who really want it.

The full "Steinway Package" will consist of doing bodywork, sanding, priming, painting to specified colors, clearcoating, and polishing to full gloss, for 500 dollars. For that price all five covers on the unit are made perfect, painted, and taken to a full show car gloss in your choice of colors. (Some colors may cost extra due to high paint costs.) Paint type is automotive urethane. Lower and upper case cover parts can be different colors.

If there's actually any interest in this, I'd provide the service. FYI, paint costs alone for this job can exceed 250 dollars. Automotive
paint is NOT cheap these days!

It's not just the paint, it's what goes along with it.

Sanding supplies.
Polishing supplies.
Primer and activator.
Basecoat and basemaker (activator/reducer)
Clearcoat and activator/reducer

A quart of the clearcoat with activator is about 70 dollars all by itself!

It gets pricey.
gregstv

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the rules on spraying that stuff over there? Here in Australia you must have a certified spray booth to spray any 2 pac paint.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The EPA has an actual regulation on this. A private citizen, for non-commercial private hobby work, may spray paint up to two cars per year on his own property. Some individual states may have additional regulations on that but apparently there aren't any such issues here in Florida.

If painting for commercial purposes then the laws are likely to be more stringent.

I had the top cover painted at a pro auto body and paint shop that has a full EPA compliant abatement system including positive pressure paint booth. I am quite certain I have not violated any laws or regulations concerning painting, ever, since I've never
shot two cars in a year or the equivalent thereof.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paint's done. Shocked Mr. Green Very Happy Mr. Green Shocked Mr. Green Cool Mr. Green

This exceeds my most optimistic expectations! I'm in LOVE.

blackandpurpleg90pic2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  168.63 KB
 Viewed:  9698 Time(s)

blackandpurpleg90pic2.jpg

blackandpurpleg90pic1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  176.24 KB
 Viewed:  9698 Time(s)

blackandpurpleg90pic1.jpg

Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!
thewolfman

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!

This inspires me to want a subtle metallic to my next vinyl wrap. I think it might work. But since I have so much smurf blue I could dress a Beetle, I'm thinking a gloss black in there in a creative mix. I would do the tricky corners another way too with the use of slicing threads for a perfect blend. I didn't order any at first and that was a big mistake. It buckles in to sharp corners so makes it necessary to divide here and there. I hope you get to do more.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good CJ, and you're right it needs the handles painted

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
pj-toso

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice gives flashback to Pinnifarini Vidikron versions of the 9500.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great, love those colours that change with light. It looks purple in one light and angle but blue from another
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn! That looks good.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Handles painted black, sure enough, it was definitely the right thing to do.

G90 no. 5 arrives Tuesday. Or more specifically, I have to go pick it up at the freight terminal.

Good news for me, too. I start a new job Monday and it pays better than anything I've had yet.

Good, I need the money. My ebay revenue stream has recently dropped to a trickle.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm OK to say this. My new job has me working for a company that maintains flight simulators under contract.

It's not VDC. I'll say that much.

CRT is FAR from dead based on how much CRT support we do.

I estimate the number of new CRTs and CRT assemblies in the building at something over a thousand.

It has turned out that it's still cheaper to replace CRTs in some projectors than it is to do major maintenance on some digital
projectors, so in this market CRT can still be the cost effective solution. EVENTUALLY that may no longer be the case, but
at this time the market, although not as large as it once was, seems to be rather healthy and stable.

I've seen new projection CRTs of types I never knew existed before now. Including a 9" type with a very short neck, as well
and what I would have to describe as a 5 or 6 inch class short necked projection CRT type.

I've even seen what I believe to be a 4" class projection CRT type. Ever heard of a PT-12?
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

N0. 5 has arrived. Minty tubes, big red sunburn scar across the red C element, fortunately I have a spare. It's in good running order other than that. No errors YET.

So I have enough G90s to do a 4K 2x2 videowall blend. But no space to do it. Very Happy
Mr Jaeger

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(I estimate the number of new CRTs and CRT assemblies in the building at something over a thousand. )

Wow, to get room for 1000 CRTs you need a BIG storage place.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you seen Curt's house?

Time to post some more pictures Curt. Wink

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't post pics of my workplace, it's strictly against company policy, but there are pallet racks with the shelves FULL of boxed tubes, bare tubes, and tubes built into assemblies for the most commonly supported simulator projectors.

I've seen tube assemblies for a variety of projectors you've never even heard of if you aren't in the simulation industry.

I've seen tube types I'd never heard of before. (But not very many.)

I'm still trying to find out what projector was ever made that used the TINY little PT-12 tubes, which are in the 3 to 4 inch diagonal size range. They're cute!

I have also seen some of the most incredibly over-engineered CRT assemblies you can imagine. They look like something you'd expect to see if you took the skin off the nose section of a ballistic missile.

With only a few exceptions, almost every CRT simulation projector these days runs P19LUG tubes. Those that didn't before have been converted or use adapters so they do now.
Mr Jaeger

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But you specify more than 1000 units CMJ, You will need a hole building Smile
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're not MY tubes. Why would I need a WHOLE building?

I only have....about a hundred tubes in my own inventory, counting the ones in my projectors.
Mr Jaeger

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My error reading. (1000 projectors ) it was tubes. I guess they are not all new?

You have 100 tubes? Wow
Planning on having CRT sale Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9
Jump to: