Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Sony G90 adventure
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I'm running HDMI straight from a Sony blu-ray player into my Marquee, via the Moome card. I get raster ringing at 1080p.

At the same settings there is NO raster ringing in the G90. Picture is clean and clear of that issue.

Interesting.
Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
I'm running HDMI straight from a Sony blu-ray player into my Marquee, via the Moome card. I get raster ringing at 1080p.

At the same settings there is NO raster ringing in the G90. Picture is clean and clear of that issue.

Interesting.

Try some other HDMs; you might find one with slight or no ringing.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's one of the things I'm going to look into. But that projector is coming down anyway, as it has serious crosstalk issues or something that gives similar symptoms.

Once it comes down I don't guarantee I'll put up another Marquee. I've got all these perfect G90s just lying around....Very Happy
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonight I replaced the last worn tube in any of my running G90s.
This shows you how picky I am about tube condition.

The tube on the left is being replaced due to wear. The tube on the right is new, or in new condition,
and is going into G90 no. 3.

As of now I have three G90s all with tubes that are that good. Unit 4 is a "parts unit" unless I score a YA board for it
at a good price. I'd rather put it back into service than scavenge it for parts at this time

2 green G90 tubes.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  198.37 KB
 Viewed:  8782 Time(s)

2 green G90 tubes.jpg

cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I really like about the G90 is that once you've got the deflection yoke levelled, that's IT for messing with the magnetics. No fiddling with CPC rings. It's a pleasure to work with. CRT changes are also very fast and efficient. I can swap one CRT in less than 10 minutes if the spare is ready to go with magnetics. Add two minutes if I have to transfer the magnetics.
gregstv

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Chris, the green tube goes in the middle😃
Just looking at your avatar and could not help myself.
jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
One thing I really like about the G90 is that once you've got the deflection yoke levelled, that's IT for messing with the magnetics. No fiddling with CPC rings. It's a pleasure to work with. CRT changes are also very fast and efficient. I can swap one CRT in less than 10 minutes if the spare is ready to go with magnetics. Add two minutes if I have to transfer the magnetics.

Yes- and another reason Craig loves those PJ's. IMO, the two biggest issues with G90's is that they eat tubes and have the streaking issue (I'll put YA/Dallas further down the list). Not uncommon to have wear after 500-700 hours so if it were me I'd pick Craig's brain for any tips to dial in the drive settings (Gain on a G90?) to hopefully prolong the tube life.

There's never glycol issues with G90's, no banding to deal with, superior focus system. Definitely the best out of the box projector. On the other hand a properly modded Marquee is a bit like the Millenium Falcon; it looks like a junker, can be tempermental but has it where it counts Laughing

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only reason G90s eat tubes fast is because they drive them hard. Back them down and tube life increases.

I've seen tubes in projectors that were original to the build, documented, with 8000 hours on the tube, and NO visible wear
on that tube. They were run at a fairly low light output level the whole time.

What gets people to drive a G90 hard is basically the fact that they retain sharpness at higher contrast levels. Who does not
want a bright sharp image? A G90 does that better than anything else but at the expense of tube life.

I'm STILL trying to find someone to wind some custom transformers for me so that I can get back on track with my project to retrofit G90 magnetics into a Marquee. My test runs showed HUGE promise for this idea to improve a Marquee's focus
performance, to actually match that of a G90, or close to it. But without those transformers it isn't workable.
I was able to prove the concept but it would eventually kill the HDM due to high current draw.

I was rather annoyed to find that the G90's 6-pole adjustment system isn't multi-zone. Central zone only. I view this as
a waste of the considerable amount of engineering that went into developing that system. I actually suspect that the 6-pole
adjustments could be made multi-zone with a software upgrade.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm up to something....

OK, I'm painting a G90 case set.

I'm doing the bottom section in full gloss black, and I'm doing that painting job myself.

The upper section is being done in the purple you see here, and that is being done by a professional because the top
cover needed bodywork to be ready for a full gloss finish.

As of the time of these photographs being taken, I've only done the black basecoat. The gloss clearcoats go on later tonight.

32 front quarter view.jpg
 Description:
Clue 2: Top color.
 Filesize:  94.02 KB
 Viewed:  8630 Time(s)

32 front quarter view.jpg

G90 blacksides.jpg
 Description:
Clue 1:
 Filesize:  467.11 KB
 Viewed:  8630 Time(s)

G90 blacksides.jpg

gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:

I was rather annoyed to find that the G90's 6-pole adjustment system isn't multi-zone. Central zone only. I view this as
a waste of the considerable amount of engineering that went into developing that system. I actually suspect that the 6-pole
adjustments could be made multi-zone with a software upgrade.

Having a center only CPC adjustment is only a matter of DC voltage control, having multizone CPC needs a variable ramp in both axes which result in a parabola at scan rate frequency. I can also imagine they left out this oportunity because of banal (but crucial) things like they ran out of firmware space, or there was no other control bus left on the CPU board, so that would have meant serious redesign of the digital part of the machine. Again, I don't know but, this would be a good reason.

View user's photo album (1 photos)
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, 6 pole is supposed to work in every zone that 4 pole adjustments work in.

Oddly, I've followed the directions, gone into service and expert modes, and I still can't select the outer zones in 6-pole adjustments.

There's no reason to have electronic CPC adjustments using such a complex series of circuits only to replicate what can be done with passive magnets. Or coils run off DC voltages.

The 6 pole adjustment system is essentially identical to the 4 pole adjustment system.

I know I'm doing something wrong. Craig says it works, I believe him.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm investing in painting a G90 case, so obviously I've decided to keep one for myself and install it.
The problematic Marquee Ultra is coming down shortly and then I re-work the ceiling mount to accept a G90.
Fortunately I do have the G90 PSS-90 mounting bracket. (Three of them, actually.)

This should be one very sharp looking projector in its gloss black/purple metallic paintjob. I've been polishing the lower cover pieces
now that I've shot them in black automotive acrylic urethane and they're going to have a show car grade finish. I should get
the upper cover back from the body and paint man who's doing that part for me on Tuesday.

The G90 top cover warps due to the welding of parts to the inside of the shell, (it's all aluminum) so for it to be good enough for
a full gloss finish, bodywork is required and that's what I'm paying for.
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, sounds like a good paint scheme. Be sure to take lots of pics. Smile I have been debating painting my G70 as well.
thewolfman

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm think I will redo my vinyl-wrap, from smurf to mean black. I'm not quite happy how it turned out so will buy some sort of glossy black. Flat is out I think. But some other kind of glossy black, to separate myself from the stock paint, and any vinyl would do really, because just by having the scratches gone makes it so nice to look at. Cool to see someone else going thru the ordeal to pimp your pj!
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be aware that the top cover of a G90 is not smooth enough to pull off a high gloss finish
without getting some bodywork done on it. But I do expect it to be worth it.

I've almost completed polishing out all the lower case parts. SHINY BLACK. Real "piano black" look, VERY NICE.

Of course I'll post pics.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stage 1 of the repaint is complete. The repainted top cover should be back in my hands about Tuesday.

So here's a photo of the chosen recipient of the newly repainted cover set, as it stands right now.

I'm rather pleased with the work so far. I'm doing all the prep and paint work for the lower case parts, including the flat sanding, compounding, and polishing. But the top I'm leaving to a pro due to the fact that the top needed a level of bodywork that I'm not confident I can deliver. When you can't do it right, hire someone who can.

G90 repaint blackside.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  324.98 KB
 Viewed:  8422 Time(s)

G90 repaint blackside.jpg

cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I will be blackening the gap between the lower front cover and the sides. I may do something about those grey handles, too.

Last edited by cmjohnson on Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
Yes, I will be blackeing the gap between the lower front cover and the sides. I may do something about those grey handles, too.

Give black RIT dye a try

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black sharpie marker worked fine. If I do any "real" touch-ups they'll be done with an airbrush.

I will probably paint the handles black. They're attached with two screws per handle.
justin_f

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i second the rit dye. works great on motorbike plastics. easy to do.

looks great chris. did you spray the plastic with a can or off a gun?
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9
Jump to: