Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Sony G90 adventure
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:21 am    Post subject: Sony G90 adventure Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I'm checking out the G90 I got today and as expected, the blue tube is broken, not in two pieces but
the glass is cracked and phosphor is missing off the CRT face.

I do not wish to damage the anode lead or anode connector but it's not moving. I'v tried pushing and twisting, both ways,
and pulling and twisting, both ways, and it's not coming out of the HV splitter block.

I know there's a trick to it. But I don't seem to know the trick at this exact moment.

If you know the trick to removing anode leads from Sony CRT projectors like the G90, please let me know

I can't really replace this tube without getting the old one out first.

Last edited by cmjohnson on Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pull back rubber boot
Push down hard on red wire.
Twist red wire CCW about 90 degrees.

If you did it right, the lead will pop right out. If not, repeat.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course that was right. I simply hadn't pulled the boot back far enough.

The blue tube assembly is out and I'll tear apart the assembly and get the tube out tomorrow. I have had a very long day
with over 400 miles of driving in it. Time to call it a day.

First impressions of the inside of a G90 in person: It has the look of the engineering of a Sony Trinitron from the best days
of Sony. Only more so. Very neat, very clean, very orderly...VERY COMPLEX, TOO.

The designers of the chassis and hardware probably cost Sony for their engineering on the G90 as much as the designers of the circuits did.

Its design and layout is quintessentially Japanese.
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:

Its design and layout is quintessentially Japanese.

You lost me on this one. What makes for a "Japanese" design layout, out of curiosity?
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a certain way that the Japanese tend to design and build high quality electronics. It's many details and difficult to define,
but believe me, it's a compliment! Compare it to, for example, Russian engineering, which is as simple as it can be and still
achieve the basic goal.

The Japanese method is about quality and attention to detail. And while it tends to be rather mechanically complex and labor
intensive to build, it's robust. It's not going to deteriorate much over the next few decades.

I've been playing with and repairing and exploring electronics for about 40 years now. I've been inside so many various pieces
of audio and video equipment that I can look at the way a unit is made, one I've never seen before, and without knowing the brand
I can tell you, with a high degree of certainty, what company made it and where it was made. And when.

This is especially true of products made prior to the year 2000. In the early 2000s things started getting more generic,
probably because most of them were being made in the same factories in China.

The Japanese made stuff is made neater, cleaner, more elegantly. It's manufacturing art. And I love to work with stuff like this.
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah cool, thanks for clarifying. Don't worry - I wasn't assuming you were being crass. Smile
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You were assuming it was an insulting comment. Which frankly I don't understand.

Japanese workmanship and quality is first rate and it has been so for a thousand years or more.

One thing I do is collect what few Japanese swords I am able to afford to buy. None are amazing pieces worth a lot of
money but even the most ordinary of these swords, a simple piece of metal, to the eyes of most people, is a beautiful
example of the work of Japanese swordsmiths and sword polishers, people whose skills are so developed that even the
lowest ranked of them completely outclass all but the best American and European bladesmiths.

Every craftsman should strive to do work that is good enough to be compared to Japanese work.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, next question: What is the preferred method of removing the CRT from the frame it is siliconed into?

I'm guessing...razor blade into the gap from the face side?

Marquee tubes I can handle. They require a lot of silicone digging and the last phase involves pressing the CRT out
of the frame, usually.

But with the G90 tube in the frame, I'd rather ask an expert who may know a trick that will be very helpful and save me a lot of time and effort.
hal

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There might be a few tips in this?

http://www.curtpalme.com/Sony_G90_tube_replacement1.shtm
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew that was here somewhere. Thanks!

The green tube is worn and will be replaced, too. I will probably do the red as well, why not?
I have an over-abundance of red tubes!
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a slightly improved method to remove the CRT from the frame.

Single edge razor blades are cheap. So buy a box of 100 of them.

Insert as many of them as you can, around the rim, between the CRT and the frame, as long as you don't try to stack
them on top of each other. To cut the corner silicone, remove the metal back and use a plastic block or something to push the blade around. Stick the blades into the silicone as far as you can and you'll feel them push completely through the silicone just before most of them bottom out against their backs. When you've stuck about eight or so blades in and you've got bare blades buried in the corners, you will be able to pry the frame off with minimal force.

It's fast, easy, and rather safe, especially if you only use a block to push the blades into the silicone, and not your fingers.

Don't lose the four steel locator pins!
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those locator pins keep the tube off the steel, and from what I understand, allow tube glass to expand and contract as it heats up. If you lose one (I did the other day), a small laptop screw (super short) drops right in, and is about the same height as the spacers. Works like a charm!
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
Japanese workmanship and quality is first rate and it has been so for a thousand years or more.

Well, not always. There was a time when "Made in Japan" was literally a synonym for "cheap crap" -- much worse than our current view of Chinese products. When I was a little kid I remember you'd only see "Made in Japan" on cheap Cracker-Jack-quality paper gimmicks &etc.

Apparently they lost their focus on quality and craftsmanship after WWII. They got it back when an unrecognized American, W. Edwards Deming, taught them the Gospel of Quality. That was what turned the Japanese economy around and launched the awesome Japanese manufacturing Goliath we know today. See e.g. http://www.wtec.org/loyola/ep/c6s1.htm
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recovered all four pins, and the broken tube is out, the chamber is cleaned, and I'll be putting a new tube in it this morning.

The silicone I use does not require weeks to cure as the guide suggests. Silicone today, run the PJ tomorrow.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a blue tube siliconed into the housing, now I wait for it to cure.

The tube is not perfect, it has a wear mark on the phosphor, but considering I haven't even powered up this projector yet,
I am unwilling to risk a perfect tube on an untested projector that MIGHT spot burn the tube.

When it's proven working then I'll put new tubes into it.

I'm impressed at the serviceability of the G90 chassis. It's a very well thought out layout.
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
You were assuming it was an insulting comment. Which frankly I don't understand.

I didn't assume that. Sorry if I communicated that I did. Smile

Anyways - congratulations on your find. If this is what I think it is, the person you picked it up from listed it on eBay.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, he did. By reviewing his photos that's when I knew the blue tube would be physically broken (it's not in pieces, but cracked all the way through and it has some glycol cooling the electron gun assembly) and that it would include a Moome HDMI input card, a very welcome addition!

I'll be installing the replacement blue tube in the morning. Then time to power the beast up!
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortunately I was paying attention. I don't have to redo any work.

One thing that's interesting about the G90 is that the tubes are not all oriented in the same position.

This makes it very important to take careful note of proper tube orientation when the tubes are installed in the LC assembly.

Frankly this is the only thing yet I've seen about the G90 that makes me think "Dumb engineer at work!".

No, wait...I'm wrong. It's the SECOND thing I've seen that makes me think that.

The other case is the design of the RGB boards. One of them, I don't recall which, is "left handed", with a reverse
layout of components and traces, as compared to the other two.

The only advantage to the tube layout as it is is that it keeps the anode leads very short as there is an HV splitter block
located between the R and G tubes and another one located between the B and G tubes. So apparently they were all
about keeping anode leads short.

So there's a duplication of effort, the expense of designing extra boards and bulding them, plus a variation in making ONE
tube assembly that doesn't apply to the others, just to keep one wire short?

If I had a parts unit I swear I'd just yank parts and convert this one so that all three systems are the SAME.

It's rare for you to NEED a left handed screw, why put one in if you don't have to?
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell me about it! Very Happy
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you got a G90 Chris, I know you have been wanting one. I remember the first time I opened a G90, I couldn't believe the incredible craftsmanship and was blown away with how well thought out everything was and how every single wire is tied down and has a place. I was blown away.

And yes, the G90 is incredibly serviceable. I can swap three tubes in under 20 minutes with the projector on the ceiling. Every board that has anything on it is also easily accessible and is held in place perfectly while on the ceiling (cough Marquee boards falling onto floor Smile.

What IC421 chip is on your YA? Did you luck out with a good lot number? If you don't, know post the numbers on IC421 and I'll tell you.

and psst... can you send me those board you forgot to send me before.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9
Jump to: