Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

One step forward, one step back - more G70 issues/questions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject: One step forward, one step back - more G70 issues/questions Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Good afternoon all,

It's been a wild ride with my G70's. One fixed PA board and three new neckboards in, and I'm ready to calibrate. However, I'm noticing a strange issue with my green tube. I can't perform any electronic focus adjustments on it, save for 2PH and 2PV. The four-pole adjustments don't work, and MG-ALL doesn't work either. Blue and Red focus just fine, but green won't do it. Has anyone experienced this? What could possibly be the issue?

Thanks.
gregstv

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check all your connectors are in correctly. One for the green focus coil may of come loose or not mated properly.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible that the focus output board is bad, which is located under the keypad.
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregstv wrote:
Check all your connectors are in correctly. One for the green focus coil may of come loose or not mated properly.

I'll check what I can. I do remember the old green tube's focus was able to be controlled, so maybe I just messed something up.
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
It is possible that the focus output board is bad, which is located under the keypad.

Is this another common failure? Can I just drop another board in willy-nilly? Also, when these boards to fail, do they usually just stop working with one particular adjustment for a particular tube? Blue and red both work fine, and the two-pole adjustments for green work. I don't have the schematics, so I wouldn't know. I would almost expect that when a board goes bad, it would affect everything that's related to its function, but again - I don't have the schematics so I don't know. Smile
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbltecnicspro wrote:
Is this another common failure? Also, when these boards to fail, do they usually just stop working with one particular adjustment for a particular tube?
well it's not the first G70 focus board failure that people have posted on the forums if that's what you mean, although RGB input and PA are the typical offenders, and yes it's typical for one channel to fail

jbltecnicspro wrote:
Can I just drop another board in willy-nilly?
yes, and Don't you have another machine to swap out from? If not I'm pretty sure I have a spare G70 focus here, $30. will get it shipped to you.
View user's photo album (2 photos)
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have a spare parts machine.

Actually, I think that the "new" green that I swapped in from the parts projector always had some focus issues. Since my projector is still hanging on the ceiling, and since I will need some people to help me pull it down, what would be the easiest way to diagnose?

This focus output board is underneath the keypad? How hard would it be to get to while mounted on the ceiling?

I guess first thing's first. I'll go under there tonight if I have time and check the cables. If that doesn't fix it then I may try and do a board swap while it's mounted or get a couple of guys to come over and pull the projector and do some parts swapping and testing.

I may end up having to change the CPC magnet out for another one, because I swear the old green tube's focus was able to be manipulated. That said, when I got my PA board back from Curt and the green tube was dim, I was so sure that the problem couldn't be my neck board, but it ended up being the issue. Go figure Very Happy

This stuff isn't all that bad or hard. But damn - if the projectors didn't weigh so much! Very Happy
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And ladies and gentlemen... It was the cable. Very Happy Green is focusing TIGHT now. We're finally ready to roll with the calibration.
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, so I've been continuing to get my G70 calibrated. I've hit another, smaller roadblock. My red tube is flairing a bit at the right side of the screen. Optical focus is fine (I can see the phosphor grain) and when I look into the tube face I can see that the flair is on the face.

I've tried adjusting the focus, and while the adjustments are working, they're not doing enough to bring the red tube in as tight as green. This is the "new" red tube - the one with less wear than the old one. The old one, if I recall correctly, was tight as a button. This one? Not so tight.

So what does this mean? I'm pretty sure I don't have a board issue, and what I'm probably staring at is a tube that needs to have its focusing mechanically adjusted. What am I looking at? How hard is it to adjust the magnets?
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can see the flair on the tube face through the lens, it will most likely be astig. Man, it's been too long since I've set up a G70, all I do is G90s now, but run through the astig adjustments. are you sure the dot is completely round in the middle of the screen when defocusing? Get that correct first.

If the G70 has the 'EM' test pattern (I can't remember), that's the best one to use to absolutely nail the focusing all over the tube face.
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbltecnicspro wrote:
This focus output board is underneath the keypad? How hard would it be to get to while mounted on the ceiling?
I guess first thing's first. I'll go under there tonight if I have time and check the cables. If that doesn't fix it then I may try and do a board swap while it's mounted or get a couple of guys to come over and pull the projector and do some parts swapping and testing.
no you don't need ot pull it down to swap anything on a G70, not even a tube. You know the cover hinges open and down right? Wink
View user's photo album (2 photos)
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

draganm wrote:
jbltecnicspro wrote:
no you don't need ot pull it down to swap anything on a G70, not even a tube. You know the cover hinges open and down right? Wink

Is that what those things are for? Very Happy

Thanks Curt - I'll have a go at the focus. I'm not sure I used the right word - "flare" may not be my issue but I'll see what I can do. I'm thinking that I may need to do the Ferrous magnets on the back of the red tube. The person who gave me the projectors told me that the one with good tubes had an issue with red not being as tight as it could be. That set had the tube in question. He thought it may be related to the set, but now that I'm seeing this, I'm thinking that it may not be. Oh well first thing's first! Very Happy
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The magnets don't do anything, everything on the G70 is done electronically.
AFryia

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="jbltecnicspro"][quote="draganm"]
jbltecnicspro wrote:
I'm thinking that I may need to do the Ferrous magnets on the back of the red tube. The person who gave me the projectors told me that the one with good tubes had an issue with red not being as tight as it could be.
Do you mean the CPC magnets? The small grey tabs between the neck board and focus coil?

They affect the beam astigmatism aka how round the beam spot is. Adjusting those will give you slightly better focus, couple percent. But probably not what you are looking for. You should be able to get there with the electronics.

In the for what it's worth department I did find after I adjusted the CPC on my machine I had significantly less drift from start-up to full operating temperature.

Graeme

TV/Projector: Sony G70q CRT projector

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:26 am    Post subject: focus Reply with quote

I have the same issue with my blue gun on my G70. After finally getting the green to at least become finely focused almost all over the screen. I then turned to the blue and cannot even get it to show the h ao em clearly at all. It will adjust in every action but and pole but for the life of me I cant get it to come into fine focus.

I need to leave it for a few days and then go back and have another go.

Any ideas?
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm not sure. I tried to do the focus again and I can clearly see that the system is adjusting everything in all corners, but I just can't get it correct. I may have a look into the flapping adjustment on the lens to see that it isn't that first. But on the tube face I can still see that it's not perfectly focused so I don't know. A little frustrating...

Also - we watched a (crappy) movie last night! Finally - for the first time in ages. The projector looked alright I guess, but it was a little on the softer side. I was running at 1080i. Should a G70 look "razor" sharp at 1080i? I mean - it's not a flat-panel, so it won't look oversharp, but should I see any haze on text, for example?
AFryia

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: focus Reply with quote

Graeme wrote:
I have the same issue with my blue gun on my G70. After finally getting the green to at least become finely focused almost all over the screen. I then turned to the blue and cannot even get it to show the h ao em clearly at all. It will adjust in every action but and pole but for the life of me I cant get it to come into fine focus.

If it is the Blue I would not worry about it. It is common to de-focus blue slightly to help light output and grey scale tracking.

AFryia

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbltecnicspro wrote:
Yeah, I'm not sure. I tried to do the focus again and I can clearly see that the system is adjusting everything in all corners, but I just can't get it correct.
Corners are always going to be softer than the rest of the image.

jbltecnicspro wrote:
I may have a look into the flapping adjustment on the lens to see that it isn't that first.
This should be completed before any electronic adjustments.

jbltecnicspro wrote:
I mean - it's not a flat-panel, so it won't look oversharp, but should I see any haze on text, for example?
Yes, it is not uncommon to see some slight blooming with white text on a dark screen. My blue is de-focused slightly for better overall PQ; the side effect is blooming white text on dark backgrounds.

jbltecnicspro wrote:
The projector looked alright I guess, but it was a little on the softer side. I was running at 1080i. Should a G70 look "razor" sharp at 1080i?
In comparison to today's flat panel technology, No!

Personally I run 720p, 960p, I never like interlaced. I find my best color, grey scale at 720p.

Lastly the Guy Kuo Guide re-written by Brian Hampton for the G70 is a must read if you haven't already.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/16-crt-projectors/702029-guy-kuo-s-holy-focus-sony-g70.html

jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so I did some more work, and I have to say - Hallelujah for spare parts projectors! I think... Smile* I swapped lenses and for some reason, after I focused them optically, it made a world of difference. So now everything looks pretty good. Focus is pretty even on red and green, though I have some more flapping adjustments to make as the bottom and right side is a hair softer than the other parts of the screen. Other than that - it looks really good! I'm back to 1080p. Wife and I watched the Terminator last night and it was frickin awesome!

Which now brings me to another point... Our screen sucks. No ifs, and's or but's. It's a home-built one using Carl's fabric, but I'm honestly not that impressed. Even at 1.1 gain it hot spots. I was thinking about possibly getting a Da-Lite 84-inch rollup. Does anyone here have any experience with Model-B roll-ups? How's quality? Or should I just get a decent permanent screen? Who makes a decent (and affordable) 84-inch screen? I was also thinking about Silver Ticket 92 inch screens, but that would mean I'd have to do it all over again (ceiling mount and all) - which I'm not super opposed to. I'm learning more and more as I go.

*To clarify - having two G70's is pretty sweet to interchange parts. But I think having two also tripped me up as to which set of lenses (for example) went with which projector. I went by the overall "design" of the lenses and matched them up. There were three lenses with color-coordinated (red, green, blue) dots on them, and three without. I put the three color dot lenses up and now the projector is well-focused.
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another question, when I use the projector, sometimes I hear a "click" from inside the chassis. Almost like the deflection "click" when it's locking into a signal, except nowhere near the same volume (much softer). I don't see any visual distortions or anything on the picture though. And it seems to slow down and stop after the projector's been on a while. Am I just noticing something thermally expanding and shouldn't be concerned? I've used it now for several hours with no issues, so...
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: