Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Sony G90 and Oppo 105 or 105D

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:58 am    Post subject: Sony G90 and Oppo 105 or 105D Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Anyone using a Darbee equipped Oppo 103 or 105 with their 9" CRT pj? Any noticeable improvements in the image running the Darbee image processing or does it degrade aspects of the image? I'm using a G90 running 1080P/72Hz. Just wondering if its worth upgrading my 83SE.
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the thread from the last CRT meet. We tested it at Cliffs. IIRC most liked the Darbee set to around 30.

Not sure if you want to wait, but the new Oppo is supposed to be out around the first of the year.
pj-toso

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the Darbee at setting 20 to 30, and seemed very happy about it. Until I started noticing thing and started thinking. For the first HD especially BD and well mastered HD material dosent need any kind of processing. Processing always have negative efffects.

I started especially to see very nasty side-effects on material with a fine layer of film-grain. I have since then not used Darbee, and will not again.

I have a Sony G90 with LUG crts, and a JVC X500.

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
Check out the thread from the last CRT meet. We tested it at Cliffs. IIRC most liked the Darbee set to around 30.

Not sure if you want to wait, but the new Oppo is supposed to be out around the first of the year.

Yes, I was aware that the next gen UHD Oppo was imminent, although the one I've seen photos of appear to be a development of the 103. Nothing I've read so far would suggest its worth the wait as I can't use the 4K capabilities on the G90 and it doesn't offer anything extra that I would find useful.

I've read mixed reviews of the Darbee processing and at least one person here confirms some of the negative reports as seen on the G90. Maybe it works better for a flat panel or digital projector.
gregstv

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Darbee with my 919. It sort of tightens the picture. Very happy with it and see no signs of it detreating the picture quality at all. I have the Cambridge Audio version which has the same video board as the OPPO.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a G90, but I think most would like the Darbee as long as they don't get carried away with it. One of the things CRT sucks at is ANSI contrast, and the Darbee effect would tend to try to make up for that a little. The 103 or 105 is an excellent player, so I think that's a good purchase anyway. But keep in mind even if you don't want one of the new UHD players, the market will get flooded with 103s and 105s by people upgrading. Not that it's a big amount of money, but used machines will be plentiful.

What I'd suggest is getting the standalone Darbee. That way, you get the effect on everything - not just BD. Plus, if you don't like it, you can just sell it for little less than you paid, and use what ever BD player you want (Oppo or not).

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: