Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Vizio GV47LF HDTV10A Black Screen Of Death
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Royalman

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Vizio GV47LF HDTV10A Black Screen Of Death Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I have the afore mentioned LCD. It went dark, screen is black. Called Vizio service but I knew it was out of warranty. They referred me to ITI and was offered the $500.00 repair, I declined. Decided since I had a doorstop, I would check it out myself. I'll start from you have to plug it in, the amber Vizio insignia come on. Using the remote turn it on the insignia goes white and slowly dims. The screen remains black. The touch controls light up but are not functional. I have removed the power supply to see if there are any obvious problems, but could not find any. The fuse is good, looking at the caps none seem to have popped, so now I am at sort of a standstill. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanking all now for just reading my rant, and any future help.
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats happens if you push power on the remote after you turn it on? Does it turn off or does it turn on again?
Royalman

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:13 am    Post subject: Thanx for responding Macgyver. Reply with quote

It just does nothing. Everything is non-responsive. The remote did not do anything, and as I said the lighted control panel with the volume, channel, on-off, etc., stayed lit when it normally would extinguish. all do nothing. You would have to unplug it to get it to revert to the normal state.
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably need a new main board. You can pull it and check for bad solder joints and also check fuse F3 (1.5a). If still no go the check the inverters for leaking caps and also check fuse mf1 (10a) on the master inverter. If still nothing then replace the main. There are a few different mains for that set so make sure you get the right one for it.
Royalman

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't taken the main board out and I do not see a fuse on it, unless it is on the underside which I doubt but nothing is impossible. This is the part number of the main board "Substitute Part: 3647-0012-0150". But if I have to I will remove it tomorrow to check closer. That part number is the one that is in there now.
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be on the upper right corner. Its a surface mount fuse so it wont look like a regular fuse. You have to test it with a DMM to see if its good or bad. Look for the location id that I gave you.
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look here.
Royalman

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Mac the first one is blown, the easiest fix seems like to get the the board. I will order a new one this weekend. Thanx for the help. When I get it and put it in I'll let you know how it goes.
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just replace the fuse? That would be the easiest. That fuse is known to blow for no reason and replacement resolves the issue.
Royalman

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be a nice cheap fix. I might try that now that you say that. I was always taught that if the fuse blows, that something was wrong down the line. But maybe I'll check that out tomorrow, again thanx.
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You dont even have to remove the blown fuse. Just piggy back another one on top of it. Make it easy. And if it blows again then you can just order the board..... Smile
Royalman

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="macgyver655"]You dont even have to remove the blown fuse. Just piggy back another one on top of it. Make it easy. And if it blows again then you can just order the board..... Smile[/quote]

Well mac that didn't work. Blew again, I feel something on the main board is bad, but can something else on another board feedback to that one and also cause the problem? Thanx in advance. Royalman
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it F3 that is blowing? If so you may have a problem with CE4 and CE9 but you should really trace out that circuit to verify. That is a 5 volt feed line. Problem is probably on that main board. I have no prints so thats all I can tell you.
Royalman

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="macgyver655"]Is it F3 that is blowing? If so you may have a problem with CE4 and CE9 but you should really trace out that circuit to verify. That is a 5 volt feed line. Problem is probably on that main board. I have no prints so thats all I can tell you.[/quote]

I have been reading quite a few other forums and people with the same problem mostly put in another fuse and it worked, but my luck it did not, so I am just going to order another main board. Thanks for the help, just tired of listening to every one around here about not having a large screen, watching a 16 in crt.
russellw

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject: Vizio GV47L had a pop then will not turn on. Reply with quote

Royalman,

Did the main board fix your problem? I have the same problem but the fuses on the Main board and Power Supply board are not blown.

macgyver655,

Do you have a schematic for this tv? It would be a great help.

Thanks to both of you,

V/r,

Russell Wickwire, SSgt, USAF
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russell, as I'm finding out as I'm getting into flat screen repairs is that no one released schematics. Even the repair depots either have to figure it out themselves, or they just swap boards. Unless they have a 'good old' tech that can do component troubleshooting, the 'kids of today' just do board swaps.
russellw

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt,

Thanks for that. I have been looking with no luck so I will just wing it I guess.
I do have a lot of experience in troubleshooting to component level. I am a electronic tech in the Air Force and also have an electronics engineering degree. I believe that I have narrowed it down to the power supply board. I am not getting the 12V and 24V to the main board which would cause some major issues. The 5V out of the power supply is good though. More than likely I have a bad cap or transformer. More to follow. ''
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, a fellow tech!

Obviously check for shorts on the supply rails, but you probably already know that. Very Happy
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

russellw wrote:
Curt,

Thanks for that. I have been looking with no luck so I will just wing it I guess.
I do have a lot of experience in troubleshooting to component level. I am a electronic tech in the Air Force and also have an electronics engineering degree. I believe that I have narrowed it down to the power supply board. I am not getting the 12V and 24V to the main board which would cause some major issues. The 5V out of the power supply is good though. More than likely I have a bad cap or transformer. More to follow. ''

If your fuses are not blown then you dont have the same problem. Give me your exact model number and your exact problem. I do have some prints for this set.
russellw

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean by supply rails? I'm not familiar with tv circuit board at all but I would imagine a power supply is a power supply no matter what it belongs to. Thanks for the help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8
Jump to: