Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Plasma Will Live on !!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:13 am    Post subject: Plasma Will Live on !!! Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1464447/samsung-f8500-plasma-hdtv-deepest-blacks-bright-as-lcd-upgradeable

Plasma is alive and kicking! That was the word from Samsung as it announced the pricing and availability of its 2013 HDTV and UHDTV lineup at an event held in NYC's Museum of American Finance. Eli Manning, Kate Upton, and Flo Rida were on hand to introduce the new Samsung Smart TV lineup, but in my humble opinion, the new F8500 plasma was the real star of the show. Samsung claims the F8500 renders 400% deeper blacks with a 250% increase in brightness versus plasma panels from previous generations

Looks very promising!!!!

Might get the 50 Incher for my Bedroom if prices drop a bit.

Nashou

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
flipdog

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now if they can just make them so they don't burn up almost every board in there after a failure and the repair would not cost triple then to just buy another piece of junk, then maybe they would have something.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I'm convinced when luminaries like Kate Upton and Flo Rida say it's the way to go.

NOw, if Kate would be topless on one of those plasmas, maybe I'd switch.

...Naaaaahhhhhhhhh.......Smile
HD-DAVE

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit of a waste of money, Samsung...every experience I have had with Samsung - whether its flat panels, disc players, etc has been poor/bad. It appears to be a company that purposely marginally-engineers mass-market crap that poor unsuspecting consumers slurp up because its cheap.

The sad part is that average consumer now appears to be "getting used" to failures and short equipment lifespan (three to four years if lucky) in this market and will plunk the same amount of money down for a new Samsung when their set dies, rather than avoid Samsung...sigh.

The only saving grace these days is at least there are electronic waste companies operating to save the dead stuff from being toxic landfill !
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@HD-DAVE: So what brand would you recommend and why?

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
flipdog

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
@HD-DAVE: So what brand would you recommend and why?

Kal

I know this question was not directed to me buy I'll throw in a couple cents.

The answer is: NONE! They are all crap and it is entirely a crap shoot. Some may have a better image then others but as for quality, they are all shite! There seems to be a mixture where sometimes they will last for years and sometimes they burn up in just days or weeks after purchase. This applies to all brands. So how good is your luck would be a good question. Very Happy
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Brother in law has had a Sony Plasma for 9 years. never broke down and still works great. So not all are sh*t.

Nashou

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
My Brother in law has had a Sony Plasma for 9 years. never broke down and still works great. So not all are sh*t.

I have a sh*tty Olevia 37" 720p LCD that I bought my wife to make our living room look/work nicer, and it hasn't missed a beat. I think I paid a grand for it after a $300 rebate. The same size Sonys and Philips sets at the time were like $1750, if that tells you how long ago I got it. I think it's 6 or 7 years old at this point. I'm secretly kind of hoping it dies so I can replace it with bigger, nicer used 1080p set.

I know the common belief is that the new sets are junk and don't last, and I know they won't last 20 or 25 years like the old CRTs, and I know they do break - I've bought broken sets - but, out of all my friends and family, nobody's sets have died. I've had way more trouble with alliances than plasma or LCD TVs! Just sayin'.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.samsung.com/us/capacitorsettlement/

you never hear about the working sets of course. Smile I think the longevity factor has been cut wayyy down in say the last 5 years. No question that I'm now seeing 640 X 480 plasmas at the recycler that are NEC and Panasonic pro models, way overdesigned, heavy as hell, and short of some burnin, they are still working.

My guess is that broken screens equate over 50% of sets that are thrown out. Based on what I've seen outside of broken screens, I'd say the split is 50/50 between bad capacitors and cracked solder joints under 80-120 pin processor chips that cannot be repaired by the layman. I've got bad capacitor Samsungs and LGs down to under 10 minutes. 8 minutes of that is spent taking the back off and back on.
flipdog

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:

Nashou

And there are thousands and thousands of Sony's with delaminated screens and thousands more with other problems. And probably thousands more still working. So Sony is no less shite then any other brand. It's still a crap shoot.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, for a new set I definitely wouldn't recommend Sony. I've seen more non-broken defective LCD screens from them than anyone else.
flipdog

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Yeah, for a new set I definitely wouldn't recommend Sony. I've seen more non-broken defective LCD screens from them than anyone else.

Well that and Sony stopped making plasmas in 2005. Very Happy And then in 2011 they negotiated a buyout of there 50% stake with Samsung in their LCD joint venture. And then they began outsourcing manufacturing to cheaper foreign facilities. So pickens with Sony is a real crap shoot. Very Happy
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Name some sh*tty pioneer displays.... I bet you'll be hard pressed to find them. And don't use "the screens can crack easily" as some sort of excuse either, since that could happen to CRT as well, just with a bit more effort perhaps.

I've had sony, Samsung, Panasonic, vizio, all fail on me. NEC, Pioneer, not the same story. I guess I would rather have an outdated pro model display vs a modern consumer crap TV. I guess that's why I'm rockin' NEC XGs and 61" 720p Pioneer plasmas, & lets not forget the trusty NEC 42" pro LCD monitor, working without a hitch!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to prefer brands that have the best service support and their products have built in diagnostics, and wonderfully detailed service manuals and field service procedures - and by that I mean the Pioneers and Panasonics and even Sony (tho someone said they no longer make their panels?).

One issue that is looming for us repair types is the surface mount components are now so incredibly tiny its becoming impossible to do board level repairs...I've now got a 22 X and 30 X magnifying lens I use to look around on boards for problems !

Unfortunately these days its becoming more like a lottery in terms of how long something is going to last. The margins are so low in flat panels that its no question that the engineering and engineers are being pushed to the limits in terms of making products that use the lowest possible cost components, the highest integration (more and more stupid BGA chips that are destined to fail mechanically from on/off temperature cycles) & closest to the margin in terms of component tolerances.

With Samsung I've even see them leaving out heat sinks on BGA chips as a cost saving measure...you can see on some of their LCD set main boards where they have tab holes for the metal tabs on the tin heat sinks next to the BGA locations on the pcb but they stopped putting them on in the factory ! WTF !!!

As Curt mentioned, sets these days tend to suffer more widespread damage if something fails (eg power supply ). I just recapped a really nice 22" widescreen monitor with a couple of swelled caps on the power supply only to find the main board had been toasted as well. Two more widescreens I did yesterday with the same symptoms came back to life so 2 out of 3 aint bad Thumbs Up
Gumdoc

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any thoughts on who makes the best Plasmas right now? Leaning towards Panasonic, but curious what others are thinking.
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well get the panny soon !! This time they officially said its done, no more plasma !!!!

nashou

One Smart Dog!!!

the big E

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nash is that really true?

I have currently two panny plasmas one was in my bedroom(has uneven wear but worked when I took it out of service) the other is in the living room(50 inch)

I would hate it if plasma is really dead in the water as LCD tv's suck at motion more then plasma sets(I do notice it)

I also would rather have older quality gear over the "new" junk any day(crt over flat panels)

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still holding out to get a Pioneer Kuro Pro-151FD XD

...Someday.... Smile

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy112 wrote:
I'm still holding out to get a Pioneer Kuro Pro-151FD XD

...Someday.... Smile

Pioneer's halo set sweet Very Happy

I have seen online where some claim its not as good as a well done crt but without seeing one for myself I can't agree or disagree

I do hope they come out with something that can blow LCD tech away as it sucks

I can't stand to watch a LCD tv unless I have to
My list of tvs I prefer is
Crt
Plsama/dlp
LCD

From set to worst(minus the built in display on my MacBooks)

I have yet to see a LCD give as good a pic as any other display tech
Sadly that is what tv's are going to now and it makes me glad I got my sony crt along with my projectors

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeramy here is a link on amazon you may be intrested in
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001CE0594?pc_redir=1408942357&robot_redir=1
Hint its the tv you want Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: