Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Good used/entry-level digital?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Not interested in relighting that fire. I will only say that I DO hope that higher FPS recording becomes the normal practice in the very near future. (Later today would be soon enough.) If 24 FPS is an "artistic" choice then I disagree with the taste exhibited by the "artist".
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
If 24 FPS is an "artistic" choice then I disagree with the taste exhibited by the "artist".

Sure. That's fine, but you're in the minority. Your opinion is not in line with the majority so don't expect things to change quickly. We don't have HFR (high frame rate) films today simply because most people don't agree with you. Most people do not like it. If it's going to happen, I think the next Avatar movies (supposedly to be shot HFR, even 60 fps) would be able to sway more people. You should go see it 1000 times to try and show support. Wink

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't the movie "Crank" shot in HFR? I think the speed of the movie is dependent on the type of film being made. A movie like Crank for example looks great at higher FPS, and gives the movie the "feel" of a rush and excitement (like what is being experienced by the main character so to speak).

A movie like "Titanic" shot at HFR wouldn't have given it the proper "feel", and it just wouldn't have been as good of a movie IMO if shot at higher framerates...

Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy112 wrote:
Isn't the movie "Crank" shot in HFR?

That 2006 movie was not shot HFR. You're confusing shooting with faster film stock (or quicker shutter) with higher frame rate.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_frame_rate#Usage_in_the_film_industry

Quote:

"Peter Jackson's The Hobbit film series, beginning with The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey in December 2012, used a shooting and projection frame rate of 48 frames per second, becoming the first feature film with a wide release to do so."

"Other filmmakers who intend to use the high frame rate format include James Cameron in his Avatar sequels and Andy Serkis in his adaptation of George Orwell's Animal Farm."

So far there have been exactly 3 HFR major motion picture films (the Hobbit movies).

Jeremy112 wrote:
I think the speed of the movie is dependent on the type of film being made. A movie like Crank for example looks great at higher FPS, and gives the movie the "feel" of a rush and excitement (like what is being experienced by the main character so to speak).

Crank was 24 fps.

You can't judge how HFR looks based on that movie since it wasn't HFR.

Unless you've seen one of the 3 hobbit movies in a theater showing it in 48 fps, you haven't seen what HFR looks like. Even if you saw one of the 3 movies odds are you did not see HFR as very few movie theaters showed it at 48 fps. Most showed it at 24 fps.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Jeremy112 wrote:
Isn't the movie "Crank" shot in HFR?

That 2006 movie was not shot HFR. You're confusing shooting with faster film stock (or quicker shutter) with higher frame rate.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_frame_rate#Usage_in_the_film_industry

Quote:

"Peter Jackson's The Hobbit film series, beginning with The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey in December 2012, used a shooting and projection frame rate of 48 frames per second, becoming the first feature film with a wide release to do so."

"Other filmmakers who intend to use the high frame rate format include James Cameron in his Avatar sequels and Andy Serkis in his adaptation of George Orwell's Animal Farm."

So far there have been exactly 3 HFR major motion picture films (the Hobbit movies).

Jeremy112 wrote:
I think the speed of the movie is dependent on the type of film being made. A movie like Crank for example looks great at higher FPS, and gives the movie the "feel" of a rush and excitement (like what is being experienced by the main character so to speak).

Crank was 24 fps.

You can't judge how HFR looks based on that movie since it wasn't HFR.

Unless you've seen one of the 3 hobbit movies in a theater showing it in 48 fps, you haven't seen what HFR looks like. Even if you saw one of the 3 movies odds are you did not see HFR as very few movie theaters showed it at 48 fps. Most showed it at 24 fps.

Kal

Ahh, quite interesting! I've never seen the Hobbit, not my type of movie Razz So you are correct, never saw HFR! Thanks for clearing that up Kal, I had no idea it was such a sparse thing to come by. Then again, I honestly don't care what FPS my movies are in as long as they are good movies and the projected image looks good. I'm more about the story in the movie than how it was filmed. Smile

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every time I see CMD I get this flashback from my youth when I came home from elementary school and my mom would be sitting there watching her soap operas. That is how CMD makes film look to me. Nasty. Of course, I have not tried observing in documentaries or other video-sourced higher def content.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CMD IS adjustable, it has four settings on the RS45. I'm still playing with them to see which ones are best for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6
Jump to: