Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

G70 setup progress thread

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
perisoft

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject: G70 setup progress thread Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I figure now I'm not asking about throw distance so I should make a new thread.

So, my G70 is up, running great, yada, yada, yada.

Now I need to get it set up right. I'm gonna be working on better optical / tube setup, but in the middle of that I'm trying to figure out what to feed the thing. At the moment I'm using Plex Home Theater to stream stuff quite a bit, but experiment has shown that it has a terrible time with judder at 48p. And if I use its frame sync (I assume its equivalent to ReClock) at 48hz, I get this speed-up-slow-down thing. And for the life of me I can't get the G70 to accept 96i (if I use PowerStrip I can set the res, and it starts out not syncing, then syncs after I squish the image by modding timings, but I can't get the timings right while retaining 96i).

It turns out, though, that Plex's sync works much better (though still not as good as ReClock with local media on a Directshow player) at 72hz. But at 1080p72 I can't resolve 1-off-1-on vertical lines on the G70.

This is using a really really long RGBHV cable.

I do, however, have an HDFury and an HDFury3 beta card. I never used them with the Barco because the 808s required some strange timings to work right that I couldn't make happen with the Furys, and the optical / mag setup was bad enough that the cable wasn't a limiting factor anyway. My question is, am I likely to see significant sharpness improvement with the Fury or Fury 3 vs a 25' RGBHV cable (note that I'm going VGA->RGBHV in the first six inches, and the rest of the cable is a nice fat RGBHV cable)?

Any advice appreciated!

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may see some added sharpness if you shorten the analog run. As for the 96i timings, I haven't tried it yet. I have an HD-Fury 2 and it works just fine. 1080p 60hz runs the image out pretty far to the edge but it's still possible to not have overscan on the image. So does 48p look okay on the G70? Does it flicker a lot? And you seem to indicate that it can resolve 1080p pretty well at that res.

I'm pretty sure that the G70's 8-inch tubes cannot fully resolve 1080p. They're more-or-less the equivalent of a 0.24mm pitch monitor from Sony. Capable of only doing around 1700 lines and not the full 1920. So if your G70 cannot do 1080p at 72 and fully resolve it, that would be normal I would think.
ElTopo

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We want to see pics Wink

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On/off 1:1 horizontal lines are perfect, it's vertical lines (ie, horizontal resolution) that are failing to resolve. But vertical 1:1 just looks like a smooth grey, as if the actual resolving power is more like 960 than 1920! That's what makes me think the signal may be suspect. Stig isn't optimal but it's not so bad that I'd get quality with horiz lines but not vert.

I didn't try too hard to get the setup right with 48p, but there's quite a bit of flicker. It's no worse than you used to get in a theater, but now theaters are all digital so if I want the theater experience I *don't* want flicker! Of course, if I want the theater experience I want to accidentally leave the room lights on for the first ten minutes of the movie and have a bright red exit sign shining on one corner of the screen, but I digress... Wink

The other issue with 48 is that the sync in Plex fails horribly, so there's a ton of judder. And Reclock doesn't work for streaming with Plex. So if I want relatively smooth output, I need to run 72.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What VGA card do you have? I'd suggest to try 96i make work. I use that on my XG135 as well
View user's photo album (1 photos)
perisoft

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjaky wrote:
What VGA card do you have? I'd suggest to try 96i make work. I use that on my XG135 as well

It's some old Radeon 4800 or something - old enough that it retains analog output and compatibility with stuff like Powerstrip!

I can't get the timings anywhere *near* working with 96i. It's just garbage, no sync. If anyone's got it working on a G70, I'd appreciate if they could post detailed timings, because I can't find ones that'll work.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theoretically, 1440 x 810 @72hz should be ideal. The processor will remove every 4th line exactly and there will be no judder or scaling artifacts.

1920 x 1080 on 8 inch tubes is a stretch, a fully tweaked 8500 will resolve it but you still lose ANSI contrast performance
View user's photo album (2 photos)
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theoretically yes it is a good resolution, but the scaling will mess up the "three left" lines, and then there comes the 1600x900P 72Hz, which is an odd resolution as well but it is at least halfway between 720P and 1080P, although this is also somewhat bandwidth demanding resolution, but my old PG xtra just could do it. I liked this one as well, but I never was very satisfied with the 72Hz flicker either, for me the 1080i96Hz is the winner.

Regarding the video card, I'd forget Powerstip, those days are over, really. I use CRU (custom resolution utility) and I can make 1080i96Hz on my AMD Kabini APU with it. I attach my 1080i timings for my XG, and since the G70 is more forgiving with the display timings than the XG, this should work.

View user's photo album (1 photos)
AFryia

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this helps but I have run my G70 up to 1080p 72hz over DVI with PowerStrip only as a test. If you can dissect the timings and porches here are the timings.

"C:\Program Files\PowerStrip\pstrip.exe" /TARGET:1 /t:1920,88,48,144,1080,4,5,36,178017,2304

here is 1080i 96hz;

"C:\Program Files\PowerStrip\pstrip.exe" /target:1 /t:1920,112,128,115,1080,46,7,30,126874,542

Oh, and I had to load a custom monitor.inf file so the video card could handle non standard timings and scan range of the G70.

perisoft

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, guys, thanks. I'll give these ideas a shot when I have a chance.
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: