Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

My new theater build
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: My new theater build Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I thought I'd post the progress of my theater as it moves along. I'm retrofitting in an existing space and expect the project to take at least the next 6-months as time and finances permit.

This is the room prior to drywall and electrical work. I framed in an existing closet and located the positions of wall sconces, speakers and columns.

This is with the carpeting and false wall installed. The white trim represents the frames for my fabric panels. I'm going to be working on covering them with an AT black velvet this coming weekend.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. One day I would love to build my own theater like this (and like some of you other folks too). Unfortunately, by the time I'm old enough to afford it, and by the time my kids are off and into the world, CRT projectors will probably be long gone by then. It feels like the end of an era, to be honest. Thankfully, digital just keeps on getting better.

What kind of screen is that? And how big? I think the only way to truly get a good system going is if you build it from the ground up as a theater, rather than re-purposing a room as a theater.
jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The screen is a Stewart 4-way electrimask; 100" diagonal.

I disagree on the room needing to be built from the ground up. You can retrofit an existing room as long as you take your time and do things properly. For the most part there's nothing that can't be done to an existing room.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope it don't take 6 months here you will be having a visitor in less than 6 weeks!

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it!

+1 on retrofitting.
jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished up the final panel last night. This photo shows the bottom panel installed and the right side panel ready to be fitted. I didn't install the R/L panels yet because there's still sheet rock/mud dust on the walls but once I paint they'll be put in place. Moving on to hanging the PJ..

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great look forward to more pics and seeing that sweet marquee hang from the sky
Tedd

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what's the finish plans for the side walls?
jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tedd wrote:
So what's the finish plans for the side walls?

Each side wall will have dark walnut stained recessed oak paneling for approx. 4', 3 oak columns, oak crown moulding and 2 wall sconces. Eventually, I'm going to incorporate accoustic panels on the wall space in between the oak columns.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spent most of Saturday and Sunday working on getting my electric Chief lift mounted to the ceiling joists. I used a drill press and forester bit to make a drill guide (which also served as joist reinforcemnent) but had a hell of a time trying to use the forrester bit to drill the holes in the joist. I ended up using a hole saw which worked like a hot knife through butter. Getting the 55lb lift mounted was no easy task; I had to prop my step ladder up on two pieces of my old theater riser and then put left over pieces sheetrock, 2 x 4 and 1 x 6 to get the unit high enough to mate with the threaded eyelets hanging from the steel pipe. Once all of that was done I went to screw in the threaded rod to the bottom of the PJ only to find out that what came with the lift is the wrong size. Should have this wrapped up tonight.

In case anyone is wondering, the lift had to be mounted up inside the ceiling because the ceilings are just over 7' high and I want to make sure there's enough clearance to prevent people from smashing their head into the PJ.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, very pretty room there. It's coming together nicely.
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guy has a design for a nice diffuser.
http://arqen.com/acoustics-101/speaker-placement-boundary-interference/
jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
This guy has a design for a nice diffuser.
http://arqen.com/acoustics-101/speaker-placement-boundary-interference/

I just scanned that article and it looks like the third option is the only one that will work in my case. Hopefully, diffusion behind the false wall will help. I saw the diffuser link; looks like it requires some intricate millwork. Do you know how it's made?

I'm a bit concerned about the high freq clipping of the AT material I'm using so am thinking to further perforate the material with a needle near the tweeter.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Leanfractal looks like it can be made with 2x2s and some plywood from the pic. I guess you are going to have to download the manual to find out.
jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the beast up on the ceiling only to find that when people walk through the rooms above the image onscreen shakes. Going to be fun chasing that issue down.

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Justin coming along quite well.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spent all day yesterday building out the equipment rack/closet. It's located in a hallway leading up to the theater that also borders my workshop and sits right below the staircase. I'll have easy access from either the front or back so will make changing out components super easy. I opted to build this rather than buying a rack because I wanted to have maximum flexibility and because I didn't want to run into any issues with getting things to fit properly. I still need to stain the oak shelves and dress everything up but the bare bones are there.

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! AND you got frik'in lasers!

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They aren't that expensive. I think I paid $50 from Harbor Freight for mine. I did calibrate it to make sure it was correct, as the first one I bought was off.
jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I tried a few before I settled on the Bosch. I do always double check things with my regular level to be sure.

I need to pick up some half round for the shelving tonight. I'm going to hold off on staining anything until the rest of the wood work is completed. I'm going to get the components up an running.

I'm going to prime the walls and ceiling and paint the ceiling black. For the side walls I've managed to find the AT fabric that I've always wanted (have a sample in transit) but I'm not sure yet how I'm going to utilize it. Building acoustic panels is one option but I've also seen installs where this covered the walls like wallpaper. I'm assuming that there was some type of acoustic treatments that were recessed into the wall but this is not an area where I've devoted any interest in the past so I'm ignorant as to what the options are.

Any thoughts?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: