Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

The future of CRT looks promising
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VideoGrabber

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
xmob135lc wrote:
Look at that URL:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/risky-business/ves-douglas-trumbull-peter-jackson-james-cameron-2001-kubrick-288290

since it's not about some established whimsy stuff, it's necessarily risky , wow.

Thanks for that link! A very interesting read. Yes, my first exposure to Trumbull was his work on '2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)' [not 2011, as the article wrote]. A truly amazing film, that I as an avid reader of sci-fi had no problem with (I think I was barely in my teens at the time). While others leaving the theater had their minds blown, and were totally confused by it.

I was really intrigued to hear the extent he is taking new developments with all his OWN gear/stage/lights/etc. I really hope his '200-years in the future space epic' project makes it through the development process. That would not only be a major triumph for anyone operating mostly independently (as he is), but I am certain, an extremely thought-provoking and amazing film (sorry, movie) as well.

I did find this quote from Trumbull quite interesting:

> "I wouldn’t want to interfere with the core attributes of 24-frame-per-second movies on screens because it’s great."

But what the heck does HE know? He's just a 70-something 'dinosaur' now. Mr. Green Who also happens to be willing to push every boundary, including HFR, higher rez, greater brightness, and huger screens. While still being willing to not only accept but embrace 24 fps for most movies. I hope he has a few proteges under his wing, working alongside him, who will learn from and be inspired by his genius, to carry his pioneering spirit forward after he decides he's done.

Right now, it's clear he's fighting an uphill battle against the status-quo.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
I simply do not consider it likely that in 20 years most new films will still be shot at 24 FPS.

You may be right! 20 years is a long time. An entire generation. And a lot can change in that kind of time-frame. And if you had said 20 years at the start (recall that you initially thought it was already being used regularly), we may have had a shorter discussion. Wink But I'm glad we kept it mostly on a friendly balance.

Quote:
What I think is remaining that we differ on is that I believe that higher frame rates for future (digitally recorded) films are going to become more common as time goes on.

For that to happen, I think we really need to see some examples where audiences actually embrace that type of change. For example, if audiences had come out of the Hobbit 48 fps movie saying, "Wow! That was really amazing! I totally loved what they did there!", then I am 100% certain we would have seen others jumping on-board, to cash in on 'the next new thing'. Because that's how the studios operate.

Instead, the response was predominantly negative, with some saying 'meh', and a handful thinking it was 'an interesting variation'. Which helps explain why there have been no followups in the following 5-year span. However if the next Avatar that comes out employs HFR as Cameron was speculating, perhaps that will move the needle a bit in the direction you are anticipating. And stimulate other movie-makers to be more brave in their choices.

For my entire life 'cinematic' has been a constant, and come to embody a certain set of characteristics that are familiar, which I (and millions of others) associate with the movie experience. That certainly doesn't mean that it would be impossible for Cameron and others to redefine what cinematic meant. We will have to see.

[ Mars Colony 2, StarDate 2037: "Grampa, why are those old movies you've shown us all jerky, and not smooth like our movies are today?" Mr. Green ]

Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VideoGrabber wrote:
However if the next Avatar that comes out employs HFR as Cameron was speculating, perhaps that will move the needle a bit in the direction you are anticipating.

I think if any movie can help push HFR into getting wider acceptance it would be something like Avatar. All of the 'dream sequences' where the actors are in the dream pods and in control of a Navi body (The blue creatures) is basically a form of virtual reality. I think it would be neat if they showed all 'real world' content at 24 fps and then showed the 'dream world' world stuff at 60 fps.

A movie like Hardcore Henry (a 2015 action film told from a first person perspective) would also be interesting in higher frame rates: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UI1Ovh5JnOE

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
VideoGrabber

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
I think it would be neat if they showed all 'real world' content at 24 fps and then showed the 'dream world' world stuff at 60 fps.

That's a really cool concept. Thumbs Up I hadn't thought about that type of combination, but I agree that would be very interesting to see. An excellent visual differentiator.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It’s simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

― Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

so it goes- eye tracking: denied, in another cult flavoured whim
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last steps of finishing the mods took a bit longer than expected. While I had good results with my previous design in the XG and with this new board on the bench. But once putting the VNB-DB into an actual Marquee it is picked up a lot of noise from the chassis (even with all ground straps and shieldings on its place). So had to eliminate all the noise sources as well. As it turned out the problem was even two fold.
-Once, the modulator power supply (that generates the power for H-deflection) on the HDM generates (and radiates) a lot of RF noise. Fortunately this was also recognized by VDC around 2008 so they had an improved version of the HDM with added filtering (03-270303-09P (Rev. 6) or newer boards). Barclay66 was kind enough to share with me the details of that mod, it is basically 6 parts added / replaced on HDM, very easy to perform, yet absolutely neccesary for my boards.
-Second, the stand-by section of the LVPS also generates and radiates a lot of noise. This can be veryfied by anyone with an oscilloscope, just probe on ANY power line in the Marquee while the projector is turned OFF but is plugged in, and you’ll see noise on the supply lines! So three coils and capacitors should be added to the power outputs in the LVPS as well.

After performing these modifications the VNB-DB is working as expected:
https://youtu.be/deLBamcPv_8

Later I’ll upload a picture how my unmodified Marquee 9000 neckboard (my test neckboard) can perform with this VNB-DB mod and with an MP modded Moome card at 1080P 72Hz.

I can perform all these mods as well for the already announced price, but shipping these heavy boards back and forth may not be efficient, so I’ll make these mods openly available, so anyone is welcome to perform them.

View user's photo album (1 photos)
barclay66

TV/Projector: Marquee 9500 Ultra

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great!

So would You offer some kind of board set (three fully assembled and tested Add-on Boards for the VNBs) plus a DIY description for mounting them and modifying the HDM and LVPS?
If so, I would like to have at least one set!

Regards,
barclay66
View user's photo album (25 photos)
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

barclay66 wrote:
Great!

So would You offer some kind of board set (three fully assembled and tested Add-on Boards for the VNBs) plus a DIY description for mounting them and modifying the HDM and LVPS?
If so, I would like to have at least one set!

Regards,
barclay66

Thanks Barclay!

More or less yes, but the VIM also needs to be modified to some extent, and I'm unsure if I can let that away. I mean it is not a secret what should be modified there, but several SMD parts needs to be removed while a several others have to be added, flying wires for the interface connector board etc. So I don't know how much I can trust generally who performs those steps and how, it may end up in an endless troubleshooting...

But I can imagine that the customer sending in a VIM, that I modify and send back along with the daughter boards with the additional cables and the customer is welcome to perform the LVPS and HDM mods (I can also include the needed parts as well) along with installing them on his VNB (so no VNB have to be sent here) at a lower price. But I can only instruct installing the daughter boards on VNBs those input section was not modified before...

I may even consider releasing a DIY kit where the customer may get all needed parts and can assemble all boards for himself (with assembly instructions), but that would not be free either, think about 150USD or so (the parts are alone cost 100USD) the small addition is to compensate the labour time for collecting the kit parts together and to honorate my designing efforts somewhat Smile

barclay66

TV/Projector: Marquee 9500 Ultra

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm confident that I would be able to do all the board modifications (VNBs, VIM, HDM, LVPS and what else) myself and to source the parts needed for this. Just for comfort I would like to buy the VNB daughter boards preassembled. Do You think that I qualify for such a 'special kit'?

Regards,
barclay66
View user's photo album (25 photos)
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barclay66 wrote:
Hi,

I'm confident that I would be able to do all the board modifications (VNBs, VIM, HDM, LVPS and what else) myself and to source the parts needed for this. Just for comfort I would like to buy the VNB daughter boards preassembled. Do You think that I qualify for such a 'special kit'?

Regards,
barclay66

Sure thing Thumbs Up

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7
Jump to: