Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

The future of CRT looks promising
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greg9518lc

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:17 pm    Post subject: The future of CRT looks promising Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Gjaky seems to be on to something that could totally
revolutionize the CRT projector and provide more options for Marquee
and the other brands. Looking forward to the evolution of Moomee
Straight to the neck boards.

Last edited by greg9518lc on Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

Video to the neckboards maybe, but what about SYNC?
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about OSD and menus? We kind of NEED a visible menu system.

I'm all for new developments, as long as they don't break functionality that is definitely needed.
Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CM makes a good point

Test patterns are helpful too.
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, VIM would be still needed for sync processing, and you need an interface you plug your input cable or moome card anyway, and for those the VIM is already perfect. The point is the video signal would fully jump through the VIM.

Functionality would not be breaked here either: you get OSD and test patterns as well with this solution too, however true you'd need to pull a new batch of wires to each neckboards (those carry vertical blanking, OSD/testpattern and contrast signals)

Originally on the VIM the video path starts with the video matrix (input switching), then a 2:1 divider, shortly after it is amplified with gain of 2 (logical isn't it?) this is where the OSD/test patterns are injected too, then goes the signal to contrast controlling, and goes towards the VNB on the RCA-coax cables, now on the cable between the VIM and VNB further loss is happening in gain (about -25%). So there is a lot of amplification happening on the VIM (that introduces noise, and lowers the bandwidth) yet it has an actual gain less than 1. Also take note that the Marquee was originally designed for 1V video input and not for 0.7V (that was the defacto standard).

Splitting the signal path into more separate blocks will only result in bandwidth limitation and more noise. This is eliminated here with putting the preamplifier right to the VNB, but I think this is the less important feature here. The big deal is IMHO how the OSD and test pattern injection to the input signal was done, it uses an approach that could not be done on the VIM anyway. And does not contain any series pass element (like switch or multiplexer) on the high frequency path at all, yet the best possible decoupling between the input and OSD source is maintained, so no noise and odd lines can leak into the signal path in "video mode".

There is also an experimental gamma corection (for blue) implemented on the board.
The problem with the original gamma correction is that it is a series element, ie. they put an extra opamp on the signal chain that makes the blue signal path "longer" because of this it has different bandwidth. This is actually even worse since they achieved the correction curve with diodes in the feedback network of that amplifier. This is not very nice because the diodes switch on/off rather slowly (4-5ns) and the amplifier they used is a current feedback amplifier, as such the bandwidth of the amplifier is inherently changing with the feedback resistor value, on the VIM however they change the feedback resistor in the first hand, so the frequency response of that amplifier is constantly changing in itself depending on the video content.

My gamma solution does not introduce series element on the blue signal path either, and has a response time less than 1ns!

Also this opens more oportunity on modifications of other projectors like the Barco 909. Since this board paired with a VNB offers an all-in-one video path, extracting the OSD signals, blanking and contrast signal would be much easier than interface the VNB alone instead of the Barco 909 neckboard...

View user's photo album (1 photos)
Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay

That sounds well thought out, but is the VIM video chain that awful?
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim in Phoenix wrote:
Okay

It depends on what you consider good or bad Smile
This board really does to the ipnut signal what is only needed nothing more nothing less, which is not true for the VIM. Adding more and more parts to a signal chain will introduce noise and distortions. The Marquee signal chain isn't famous about its low noise that's for sure.
Someone who appreciate clean response probably will prefer this one over the standard VIM.

With standard VIM the signal goes through on two relays and one analog switch, and two or three amplifiers depending on if there is gamma or not.
On mine there are no switches in signal path and only one amplifier is used. Actually the signal chain couldn't be more simple than this, really.

greg9518lc

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjaky wrote:
Tim in Phoenix wrote:
Okay

It depends on what you consider good or bad Smile
This board really does to the ipnut signal what is only needed nothing more nothing less, which is not true for the VIM. Adding more and more parts to a signal chain will introduce noise and distortions. The Marquee signal chain isn't famous about its low noise that's for sure.
Someone who appreciate clean response probably will prefer this one over the standard VIM.

With standard VIM the signal goes through on two relays and one analog switch, and two or three amplifiers depending on if there is gamma or not.
On mine there are no switches in signal path and only one amplifier is used. Actually the signal chain couldn't be more simple than this, really.

I agree the stock Marquee vim is like watching VHS compared to a MP vim which up until now is quite
amazing and the video reference standard and am very happy to have it.

So Gjaky what is exciting to hear is the increased gain because of this new board and should really enhance
the Lug tubes in the Marquee if I understand this right Question So my MP neck cards that output 7.5 ftl on lugs should
see a bump of 2-3 ftl or am I not thinking this thru correctly?

So we need a modified momee and cleaned up neck cards for optimal performance?

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The questions to ask now are; When will they be available as a full retro kit, and how much. Do you need a beta tester?

Mak
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg:

I don't know how the latest MP boards are gain wise, but compared to a standard VIM, this board offers more gain (assuming the beam limit is not activated on the VNB).
A modified Moome card never hurts, but I'm not sure about the neckboards yet -as for performance mods concerned. As in my XG the retrofitted VNB neckboards (with the father of this preamplifier board) are quite much stock and has no problem with 1080P 72Hz. This will need to be tested.

Mak:

The business model is not laid down yet, but I guess it will be available as soon as possible, I have no intention to sit on this unless it needs more improvement... As for price, whatever price is asked by Mike Parker for a similar mod, this will be cheaper than that Wink

At the moment I have enough PCB to build two more sets of these boards, but I'd wait the in machine tests results first, and yes, I already have a beta tester.

mp20748

TV/Projector: 9500LC Ultra / Super 02 and 03 VIM

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My latest mini board 02 VIM has only a high bandwidth switch (for internal OSD /Source selection) and the AD835 contrast (gain) amplifier in the entire video chain.

The mini board connects directly to the slot 2 connector from its source input. No relays, pedestal circuits, etc. It is a single source input that uses only slot 2 (BNC's not used) for direct coupling to the Moome.

Makes for an entirely direct coupled (no caps) video chain from the Moome to the neck boards.
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mp20748 wrote:
My latest mini board 02 VIM has only a high bandwidth switch (for internal OSD /Source selection) and the AD835 contrast (gain) amplifier in the entire video chain.

The mini board connects directly to the slot 2 connector from its source input. No relays, pedestal circuits, etc. It is a single source input that uses only slot 2 (BNC's not used) for direct coupling to the Moome.

Makes for an entirely direct coupled (no caps) video chain from the Moome to the neck boards.

Here as well, no caps, no clamps, the OSD/test pattern injection was done tricky so no need for high bandwidth switch in the source path either.

greg9518lc

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjaky wrote:
mp20748 wrote:

Here as well, no caps, no clamps, the OSD/test pattern injection was done tricky so no need for high bandwidth switch in the source path either.

Will be interesting to see as I am sure your beta tester will be a good judge of transparency as he
tells it like it is as has the cleanest neck cards on the planet. Very Happy

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A point to make about gamma correction:

Though to the best of my knowledge it has not been addressed in great detail, the truth is that all three CRT colors
have non-linear gamma curves but generally gamma is applied oniy to the blue channel as the blue phosphor's gamma curve
is substantially different from red and green, which are more linear.

But no color phosphor is linear.

Using the published gamma curves for each phosphor color, it would be interesting, and theoretically beneficial, to create
custom gamma profiles for each color and apply them all rather than only on blue.

The document that shows the phosphor gamma curves is available on Chris STephens' website (xymox1) if you don't have it already.

How to implement gamma in each channel? Designing that circuit is above my paygrade. Do it digitally, do it in analog, I leave that to the engineer.

But doing it digitally would allow you to make one gamma correction circuit and program it to the color of your choice. Red profile, green profile, or blue profile. Maybe even set that profile choice with 2 onboard DIP switches.
Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow

That sounds like a lot of work for products with only a few dozens of potential customers.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people don't mind if the audience is small, they just like to solve the challenge and create something that they themselves can use.

In what little spare time I have left I'm working on a circuit that allows a complete stack of G90 magnetics to be run in a Marquee.

Actually it's TWO circuits, one is basically a broadband impedance matching transformer between the deflection yoke and the HDM, and the other is a 12 channel control circuit so you can use G90 electronic CPC coils in a Marquee.

I won't make a penny off it. I'll still make at least one set of each.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim in Phoenix wrote:
That sounds like a lot of work for products with only a few dozens of potential customers.

I would say it's even smaller than that. I could count on The number of MP mods we sold at CurtPalme.com 10 years ago on one hand, back when people were actually interested in CRT.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Tim in Phoenix wrote:

I would say it's even smaller than that. I could count on The number of MP mods we sold at CurtPalme.com 10 years ago on one hand, back when people were actually interested in CRT.

Kal

All these are interesting, I mean I spent almost two years to mate my NEC XG to the Electrohome VNB, of which I knew it won't bring in a dime, but I did not care because it was fun. That project was the father of this one. But I could do this board from the will to fully assembled boards in just two months, which mainly took my free time, but for this I needed the 2 years research with the XG-VNB project behind my back...
I think you can understand this very well Kal, it's a bit like when you did the electric brewery. You would have done your brewery even without anyone knowing about that, but writing a book did not add much to the original efforts you made, still it is nice if you can sell a book or two, and I guess you did not do that to become a bestseller writer.
It's pretty much the case here as well, I did the XG-VNB project for myself, but reused all my gained experiences from that to form something that might be interesting to others as well.

kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjaky wrote:
All these are interesting, I mean I spent almost two years to mate my NEC XG to the Electrohome VNB, of which I knew it won't bring in a dime, but I did not care because it was fun.

By all means! Doing it for own interest is certainly the most rewarding.

Quote:
I think you can understand this very well Kal, it's a bit like when you did the electric brewery. You would have done your brewery even without anyone knowing about that

Absolutely right - I built for myself, not as a future business or a way to make money. I thought that nobody would built it given the cost, so I surprised when so many did. Thousands of people in over 50 countries have now built it.

Quote:
...but writing a book did not add much to the original efforts you made...

Actually it did. Wink It took me considerably longer to document it all than to actually build it. I'd guess about 5-10 times longer to document than to design and build.

Quote:
...still it is nice if you can sell a book or two, and I guess you did not do that to become a bestseller writer.

Yup. The funny thing is that for a book that is simply a copy of what's already available for free on the website, it actually sells very well! I sell multiple books/day. Anyone interested can take a peek here. Wink

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
The funny thing is that for a book that is simply a copy of what's already available for free on the website, it actually sells very well! I sell multiple books/day. Anyone interested can take a peek here. Wink

Good on ya Kal! That should buy a few batches of ingredients or a new kettle. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7
Jump to: