Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Barco 909 edge blend throw distance vs stack throw distance

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justin_f

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:45 pm    Post subject: Barco 909 edge blend throw distance vs stack throw distance Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi all,

I am close to signing contracts to begin my house build. It will have a 4m x 6.5m theater room.

The previous owner who had a 13' wide screen in a stack configuration gave me a sketch of the distances from the walls that I am going to replicate. I've had some extra roof supports built in for mounting my two Barco 909's roughly where they will sit based on this sketch.

I am soon to have some SEMU boards sent to me for these 909's to test out edge blending and I was wondering if the throw distance will be significantly shorter than if I were to do a stack?

I would like to try both edge blending and stacking to see what I prefer, but would like to have some support built into the roof for edge blending if the throw distance is shorter should I decide to go with edge blending.

Is there a way to calculate the throw from the lens to the screen for edge blending?

Is edge blending going to drift as much as stacking (because the machines will be straight to the screen vs angled for stacking)?

Is it going to be easier to re-converge a stack vs edge blend (less noticeable of misalignment)?

What are the pro's vs con's of edge blending vs stacking?

TIA!
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider that when stacking both projectors are lighting up the full screen, ie normal throw distance calculations apply. When blending each projector works on roughly 60% width of the screen, with having 10% overlap so throw distances will be much closer indeed.

Stacking:
pros: relatively simple to set up, double light output compared to single projector
cons: no resolution achievement

Blending:
pros: better tube utilization in 21:9, higher resolution is possible, ~double brightness compared to single projector
cons: needs two perfectly matching projectors, needs proper calibration, needs costy blend processor

View user's photo album (1 photos)
Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjaky wrote:
Consider that when stacking both projectors are lighting up the full screen, ie normal throw distance calculations apply. When blending each projector works on roughly 60% width of the screen, with having 10% overlap so throw distances will be much closer indeed.

Stacking:
pros: relatively simple to set up, double light output compared to single projector
cons: no resolution achievement

Blending:
pros: better tube utilization in 21:9, higher resolution is possible, ~double brightness compared to single projector
cons: needs two perfectly matching projectors, needs proper calibration, needs costly blend processor

The throw will be around 1.0 your screen width with 16:9 and 20% overlap. The processors can be found used they are no longer expensive.

Setup is not that difficult. A processor like DiVentix has horizontal gray bars test pattern among others for ease of matching drives and G2s.

I have the most experience with blending (13 years) in this crowd, feel free to message me with questions.

My thread is here somewhere........"If You Don't Blend You Suck" LOL

Tim at E-Tech

ehometech8022@yahoo.com

thumbnail-41.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  102.39 KB
 Viewed:  4045 Time(s)

thumbnail-41.jpeg

Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys

I sketched this for a recent proposal with two Marquee 9500s:

thumbnail-7.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  96.87 KB
 Viewed:  4039 Time(s)

thumbnail-7.jpeg

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: