Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

HDMI CABLES
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
larryp

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:40 pm    Post subject: HDMI CABLES Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Still having HDMI issues with my Moomie card & 1272 Sony. I switch to settings, adjustments etc on my receiver and the picture goes out. I need to switch the moomie card back & fourth from the first & second hdmi cable inputs using the remote, Then the card is detected again & picture comes back on. Tried a stripper, didn't work.

Now I'm wondering if the expensive HDMI cables might be worth trying? Blue Jean cables etc.
What's your thoughts?
Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Say Larry

What is the length involved?
larryp

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very short 2-3 feet. projector run is rgbvh from the sony switcher
Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm

If you have tried several cables and it still doesn't work, perhaps there is another problem.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a longer hdmi cable. Many devices have issues with really short cables like that due to timing/ringing issues. Generally speaking I always recommend hdmi cables at least 8-10 feet long.

I have an hdmi splitter right beside a switch and using a short cable has never worked. So instead I have a 10-15 one coiled up between the two. It's a very common issue.

Cost of the cable is not the issue.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
larryp

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm open to anything. I just have short cables right now. All equipment is on a stereo rack so I never thought of buying longer cables
Hooked my monitor up to the AVR, and everything works fine.

Tim in Phoenix wrote:
Hmmm

If you have tried several cables and it still doesn't work, perhaps there is another problem.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a longer cable. Doesn't have to be fancy. Monoprice makes reasonable priced cables. Shouldn't cost more than $5.

Kal

AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've run into this with testing HDFury stuff as well. HDFury 1 wouldn't get linked to Xbox 360 with Philips 3 foot HDMI premium cable. 12 foot Philips Premium worked fine and it was repeatable.

Digital. what ya going do? Rolling Eyes

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
larryp

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should the short cables I have running from dvd player etc to the avr be longer to?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're having issues, yes. Keep all cables longer. You can test and find out where the issues are.

Kal

the big E

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree.

I have had this issue before and longer cables fixed it.

I currently need to swap back out the short cable I tried on my htpc as it's causing the signal to drop out between it and my av receiver(ditto on what at said about digital)

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What length cured it? I order a 10 foot cable

the big E wrote:
I agree.

I currently need to swap back out the short cable I tried on my htpc as it's causing the signal to drop out between it and my av receiver(ditto on what at said about digital)
the big E

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

larryp wrote:

the big E wrote:
I agree.

Most of mine(except the one for the projector) is 6 foot minimum(projector hdmi cable is 50foot due to my setup)

I had a three foot cable I wanted to try (used for a portable digital projector) but it's doing this exact same issue due to that.

Even on other displays in the house and my tv in my shop(have to due to size of set as its a 65 inch Mitsubishi rear projection set) I use a minimum of 6 foot HDMI cables(the extra length helps in a media console on routing)

10 foot is more then enough to cure the issue

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

larryp wrote:

For what it's worth every time there are two devices with timing issues due to short HDMI cable length the length you need to use to fix it will be different. I usually recommend something around 10-12'. You don't want to live on the edge of it working most of the time and still having dropouts and issues 1% of the time, so while 6-8 feet may seem to work, spend the extra 50 cents and get 10-12 just to be sure.

If all you're doing is regular 1080p, the price difference between 4 and 10 feet is about $1:

http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024017&p_id=13774&seq=1&format=2

When I redid my basement ~5 years ago I bought a dozen or so just to have around since they're so cheap.

Kal

the big E

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ good point kal

I keep a few around just to have spares but lately had to use one on my tv in my shop so it looks like I need to buy some more(only got one 6 foot spare)
My get a spare of the one for my projector so I can use it with one of my other sets

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well-- Replaced the cable from the Receiver to the Moomie Card- 10 foot cable- No difference Mad picture went out again as soon as I pressed the "settings" button on the receiver.
Will replace the hdmi cables on the other gear tomorrow, Hopefully that does something !!

kal wrote:
Try a longer hdmi cable. Many devices have issues with really short cables like that due to timing/ringing issues. Generally speaking I always recommend hdmi cables at least 8-10 feet long.

I have an hdmi splitter right beside a switch and using a short cable has never worked. So instead I have a 10-15 one coiled up between the two. It's a very common issue.

Cost of the cable is not the issue.

Kal
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, wait a second. I saw all the chatter about short HDMI cables and assumed you were getting good direction. But, reading your first post again, I don't think this has anything to do with HDMI cables.

When you bring up the AVR settings page, something about that video mode, or the handshake, is freaking out the Moome card. If it takes switching inputs on the card to get the picture back, then there's some kind of incompatibility between the AVR and the Moome.

If it was a cable/handshake issue, you'd have trouble switching inputs or changing channels, or when you turned the system on.

I'm almost wondering if the AVR is defaulting to 24hz output or something, and cycling inputs on the Moome forces it back to 60hz.

This could be a tough one to fix. Either way, I don't think cables are going to do it.

What model is your AVR?

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest bypassing the receiver and going from video source direct to the projector. See how that works.

I don't have any direct experience with the Sony version Moome card, but the Marquee version has two HDMI inputs,
and if the Sony version does as well, consider running two sources to the projector (if you need two) and switch via the Moome remote.

There is also always the possibility of using a multi-port HDMI switch. They're not expensive.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SC has a good point. I got caught up on the cable after Tim asked how long it was, but reading the first post again I'd do as Chris mentions and simplify: Get the receiver out of the loop first and test. Simplify as much as possible first.

Kal

larryp

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The receiver is a Denon X1200W

ecrabb wrote:
OK, wait a second. I saw all the chatter about short HDMI cables and assumed you were getting good direction. But, reading your first post again, I don't think this has anything to do with HDMI cables.

When you bring up the AVR settings page, something about that video mode, or the handshake, is freaking out the Moome card. If it takes switching inputs on the card to get the picture back, then there's some kind of incompatibility between the AVR and the Moome.

If it was a cable/handshake issue, you'd have trouble switching inputs or changing channels, or when you turned the system on.

I'm almost wondering if the AVR is defaulting to 24hz output or something, and cycling inputs on the Moome forces it back to 60hz.

This could be a tough one to fix. Either way, I don't think cables are going to do it.

What model is your AVR?

SC
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: