Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Reading CE&N on OLED

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reading CE&N on OLED Reply with quote

I was reading an article in the trade journal Chemistry & Engineering News about OLED. I wasn't expecting too much but I was surprised at something that bothered me. OLED is using the rare metal Iridium and the cost of the material is $19 per gram.

Ok, so i wondered how much mass they were using of the rare metal in the manufacturing of the OLED televisions (focus was on TV's >40"). I mean, OLED televisions are expensive so I wondered if they were using 5-10 grams of it. Frack no, not even close.

They were saying that they could make 2-3,000 televisions per gram of Iridium while complaining about the Iridium waste product being 70-90%. So wait, $19 divided by 2,000 units ain't going to make me look back at LCD.

Seriously, why talk about the cost of a rare metal ($19/gram) and then tell me it will take <1/1,000 gram to make the TV with Iridium. I was more than willing to pay the $19-38 penalty for the cost of Iridium in the OLED but they are talking about the costs per unit being <$0.02.

Why talk about the costs of one material when I am sure you can get the consumer to agree to 10,000 times that as a rare metal tax.

BTW, they also go on to talk about the cost savings of being able to use plastic as a substrate instead of glass. Is the glass used in LCD applications cost <$0.02?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: