Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Marquee Neck Board Noise Problem - Blurred Lines Fix Mod
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mp20748

TV/Projector: 9500LC Ultra / Super 02 and 03 VIM

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
The problem is a distortion. A distorting that directly affects the image and that is what the test pattern would show, mainly because it shows various lines at various different IRE levels. So unlike random or scrolling faint lines or other non direct image related distortions, it directly affects the image.
gregstv

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you see the same problem on the Barco step pattern?
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calman has some smooth gradients in its collection of test patterns.

How do THOSE look?
mp20748

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregstv wrote:
Can you see the same problem on the Barco step pattern?

That pattern looked near perfect so no problem there, but hopefully your probe was on the final (G1 or cathode) connection to the CRT. If so, that looks right.

Because we're not doing bandwidth critical testing, there's no need for FET probes and special techniques to do a good capture. But may want to make sure your probe trim pot is adjusted if it has one.
gregstv

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probe was on test point M4 on the neck board. This is at the tube. The probe is 200mhz standard type with x1 or x10 switch.
I have been doing lots of mods to reduce noise. I have been comparing noise by looking into the lens. I need to learn more about what I am looking at on the oscilloscope when it comes to high bandwidth video.
Signal chain is as follows,
Panasonic blu ray player, $25 splitter, DVDO VP50, analog out to port 3 in. Modded port 3 card, modded switcher, modded driver and neck board.
Modded means component change our parts added. Nothing to the level of Mikes talent. I might get there one day but have a lot to learn. This stuff is black magic.
mp20748

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregstv wrote:
Probe was on test point M4 on the neck board. This is at the tube. The probe is 200mhz standard type with x1 or x10 switch.
I have been doing lots of mods to reduce noise. I have been comparing noise by looking into the lens. I need to learn more about what I am looking at on the oscilloscope when it comes to high bandwidth video.
Signal chain is as follows,
Panasonic blu ray player, $25 splitter, DVDO VP50, analog out to port 3 in. Modded port 3 card, modded switcher, modded driver and neck board.
Modded means component change our parts added. Nothing to the level of Mikes talent. I might get there one day but have a lot to learn. This stuff is black magic.

That pattern you showed was good, considering all you have in your video chain. The more of anything in the video chain, it will take away your ability to experience the HD depth and transparency.

Also, and as I mentioned previously in this thread, it's best to do the final using an analog scope. It's more revealing when looking for noise
gregstv

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, by analog scope you mean CRT? Both mine are old LCD. The 60mhz Tektronix is 20+ years old.
mp20748

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregstv wrote:
Thanks Mike, by analog scope you mean CRT? Both mine are old LCD. The 60mhz Tektronix is 20+ years old.

That should be fine though
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: