Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Marquee Neck Board Noise Problem - Blurred Lines Fix Mod
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mp20748

TV/Projector: 9500LC Ultra / Super 02 and 03 VIM

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:38 pm    Post subject: Marquee Neck Board Noise Problem - Blurred Lines Fix Mod Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Over the years I've been talking about one day finding a fix for this problem.

The problem is not usually visible on screen, but can be seen using the right source, scope and test procedure.

I'll need to set this all up using my test bed and demonstrate what the distortion looks like and also show how it affects the image. I'll do this using only a 60mhz scope, that's really all that's needed when using the right procedure to look at the signal. I use test patterns to see noise, so this may be a good learning for some who would find this hard to beleive. And that"s why I'll do a setup and demonstration to show what it looks like and where to address it, and how to make it go away. I'll even fire up my Marquee on the ceiling and I'm sure the final results would be visible even using screenshots.

Anyway, this will take a few days to pull it all together. And I'm not sure if or what it would do for a stock video chain, but for sure it takes my Mods to another level.

I call it the Blurred Lines Mod, because it solves a Blurred (scan) lines problem, that I never knew existed until finding this fix. very necessary and important for 1920X1080P - and I'll even show a part of a scan line that's normally distorted and will also show what it looks like on the scope after the fix. But the screen is where the real end results will be seen... so I finally solved that problem, with me only having to finish the complete filament turn off. And I will..Wink
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be watching this with interest.

It seems to me that any blurring of scan lines is going to be due to jitter in the vertical deflection system. Jitter in the horizontal deflection system would not blur a scan line, but it would have the same visual effect as reducing available video bandwidth.

But such noise may come from any source that affects where the beam is landing. Including focus, including astig. Including convergence, too. ALL those circuits need clean power and I'll bet that they could all benefit from additional shielding in a few critical areas.

With the Marquee chassis, you've got your work cut out for you, as it doesn't have as robust a shielding system as the other top projector types.
mp20748

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:

It seems to me that any blurring of scan lines is going to be due to jitter in the vertical deflection system. Jitter in the horizontal deflection system would not blur a scan line, but it would have the same visual effect as reducing available video bandwidth

Both vertical and horizontal are stable, with the tiniest jitter not even being a problem. The smpte (both vertical/horizontal) looks good on the screen, and stable in the video chain, so no problem there.

Quote:
But such noise may come from any source that affects where the beam is landing. Including focus, including astig. Including convergence, too. ALL those circuits need clean power and I'll bet that they could all benefit from additional shielding in a few critical areas

Yes they can, but as long as they are stable and for the most part they are good. PLus I have years of trying to improve the focus dealing with a cleaner supply. Was able to make some change, but not enough to keep at it.

[quoteWith the Marquee chassis, you've got your work cut out for you, as it doesn't have as robust a shielding system as the other top projector types.[/quote]

Yes, but I'm more near finishing things at this point. Once you consider it was not designed for higher resolution use, or for the 1080P we like and gives the best image. If that would have been the goal, they may have done even more.

The fix I've developed deals more with a distortion that's created at the neck boards and put right into the image. And I'm going to show you what it looks like and hopefully how it affects the image on my screen. My setup has greatly improved in clarity, depth and finer image detail even in the backgrounds
mp20748

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive posted a few shots last week from my setup, that has an not yet setup green LCP tube and red and blue LUG.

I'm going to fire up the setup using the exact same everything to include not touching any of the adjustments.

i'll be back
mp20748

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some shots taking using my Iphone6. The green LCP tube needs a glycol change as well as the magnetics has not been setup. Only static focus, so this setup is far from prime time

mp20748

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll need a better camera for this. The Iphone ain't working as expected, and i'll need to find my charger for my other camera.

Anyway, below is a part of Step Pattern generated from the CLM, using the output from the VIM to the scope (direct no probe). I use my generator for this, because it produces a cleaner pattern (16/32 step).

Later I will connect a neck board using a probe, and scope this same internal test pattern showing the distortion on that same signal. I will switch to an analog scope and show what's on the mini RCA connector (input) and at the same time show what the distorted signal looks like in comparison to the source. I will also show in comparison what the source looks like after the fix. I will scope the final on the neck board at pin 8 (cathode) of the CRT.

Hopefully later I'll find my camera charger, but may not be able to use the camera to show the difference. I would say the difference on the screen is more depth and image detail opposed to better focus overall, though the focus is improved but not well seen in a static image.

cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just specualting here, but I suspect that there would be advantages to be gained in amplifier linearity if all the transistors on the neck cards
were closely matched and levels adjusted fo the most linear range of operation.

But we know it woiuld be difficult at this stage to match the output transistors. Who wants to volunteer to carefully remove all the transistors from dozens,
maybe hundreds of neck cards, sort and match them, and then reinstall them in sets and then trim the whole neck card for max linearity?

The time for matching those output transistors would be when they were all brand new in trays, fresh from Motorola, before installing them.
mp20748

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unlike audio stages, video stages are not critical on matching transistors. If you ran the most critical linearity test, and found problems, the fix or solution never has anything to do with the transistors. This can be verified with any set of neck boards that show linearity problems. If the problem exist separate from the other two boards, it's a bad component. And when it exist and the components are not bad or defective, it'll be consistent on the other two boards, which should rule out transistors.

The step patterns are a good test for linearity, but that's on screen. The best in circuit test for linearity is a really good ramp pattern. The ramp makes it easy to see the linearity performance when scoped.

However, the step pattern also serves well for noise, but that's all in how you use it and where.
mp20748

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My days will be full through the weekend, so it'll be awhile before I can set this all up and do a good demo of what I've mentioned.

But in the meantime, anyone with a scope and access to the neck boards, fire up yor set and post a few shots showing what the internal step pattern looks like when measuring from the cathode and/or G1 of either Green or Red CRT.
mp20748

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I'm stunned that not one of the Marquee owners with a scope has scope either of those CRT pins using the Internal Test pattern for source.

Seems to not be an interest in this, so I'll not waste time going forward, because I really have a lot on my plate right now. But if you guys do happen to get around to doing this test. Compare what the source looks like to the final.
barclay66

TV/Projector: Marquee 9500 Ultra

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but do You expect all of us jumping off our seats in a day's timeframe? So, please allow us to:
- Being online at the time You wrote it
- Finding this thread
- Reading it
- Making necessary preparations (not all have extender boards)
- Getting those measurements
- Documenting them here

Did I forget anything?
View user's photo album (25 photos)
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't currently have a working oscilloscope to use for that anyway. Got lots of scopes that I need to see if I can fix,
but none that are fully operational at this time.

Make no mistake, I'm interested in this but that doesn't mean I can really actively participate at this time.
mp20748

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

barclay66 wrote:
Sorry, but do You expect all of us jumping off our seats in a day's timeframe? So, please allow us to:
- Finding this thread
- Reading it
- Documenting them here

Did I forget anything?

The thread has been here since Wednesday, so we're several days beyond your days time frame. And it's still here, so you can see if there's any interest for you. And if so, at your convenience you can look at what it's all about and if you follow what I posted, you should be able to see a noise that's should also be in your video chain.
racerxnet

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mp20748 wrote:
barclay66 wrote:
- Finding this thread
- Reading it
- Documenting them here

Did I forget anything?

The thread has been here since Wednesday, so we're several days beyond your days time frame. And it's still here, so you can see if there's any interest for you. And if so, at your convenience you can look at what it's all about and if you follow what I posted, you should be able to see a noise that's should also be in your video chain.

Mike,

Your post title States a "Fix". Not a guessing game as to what the "Fix" is. Not bashing your efforts, just stating what appears as someone throwing out a rope and then pulling it back in. If there is indeed a fix for a problem, just state what is needed and where related to the noise. Simple and straight forward.

Hope you have a great weekend.

MAK
mp20748

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all about interest. I said my days would be full through the weekend, the weekend just got here. I also ask for anyone with a scope to try this and post results, so far nothing.
Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay

So why exactly is this 'invisible problem" a problem?
greg9518lc

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exclamation

Last edited by greg9518lc on Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
mp20748

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim in Phoenix wrote:
Okay

So why exactly is this 'invisible problem" a problem?

It's there Tim.. invisible on screen, but nonetheless still there.

I was hoping one of the techie marquee guys would simply scope pin 5 or 8 on a working neck board using the internal step pattern, so you could see what the distortion looks like. But I'm also sure anyone seeing it for the first time would be trying to figure it out. And no, you don't need extender cards or anything else beyond a scope with a probe and a working marquee.

I had stopped using high bandwidth scopes to advance my work years ago. I've been doing everything using a 60mhz analog and 50mhz digital scope. The magic in it all is knowing how to use very unique test patterns.
gregstv

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we are waiting for those Marque guys, here is the Barco. No internal so I used an old AVAI DVD. Its all I could find in a step pattern.

tekway255_14.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  17.42 KB
 Viewed:  10946 Time(s)

tekway255_14.gif

cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calman doesn't have step patterns? I think it does, and more than one of them.

I'm just curious as to why you're chasing a "problem" we can't see when there are other more visible problems that could be looked into, like ways to reduce the crosstalk between channels.

Bring up a menu that should only appear in the green channel, for example, and you'll see a ghost of it in the other two. At least you'll see it on the tube face if not the screen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: