Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Grayscale/Color Calibration

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Manuel2063

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:57 pm    Post subject: Grayscale/Color Calibration Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hello.

I've been trying to improve my calibration experience and need some help. I am using chromapure ver 3.x and wanted to get some clarification/help

1. on a 10 pt grayscale i find some TV's say all the settings are active at once and changing the main 80/20 actually changes more on the 30 and less on 20; is this common and i am taking the 80/20 too literal? , also when i get to the 10 pt changing 2 for 20 for example has for of a change on 30%, 3 changes 40% and so on am i crazy?

2. when calibration for grayscale this seems to change color, so if i reduce blue to even out the colors on the color decoder blue now has -8 + %, should i be going back and forth to make sure the color are even on white balance/color all the time? The guide suggest that I do not modify green so when is it a good idea?

I apologize if this has been answered elsewhere but I could not find any information.

Thanks.
Manny

Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Grayscale/Color Calibration Reply with quote

Manuel2063 wrote:
1. on a 10 pt grayscale i find some TV's say all the settings are active at once and changing the main 80/20 actually changes more on the 30 and less on 20; is this common and i am taking the 80/20 too literal?

Regardless of whether your TV has a 10 pt greyscale instead of just a two point (usually around 80/20 or 30/70), making adjustments to any of the points affects all points. Think of the points as positions on a string tied between two posts. While pulling up or down at any given point affects that point the most it also affects the entire string. That's what you are seeing.

Quote:
, also when i get to the 10 pt changing 2 for 20 for example has for of a change on 30%, 3 changes 40% and so on am i crazy?

I don't understand what you're saying. Can you clarify as to exactly what you're adjusting where?

Quote:
2. when calibration for grayscale this seems to change color, so if i reduce blue to even out the colors on the color decoder blue now has -8 + %, should i be going back and forth to make sure the color are even on white balance/color all the time?

Any adjustment affects everything else so always loop back and re-check. Once you can get through from start to end without adjusting anything, you're done.

Quote:
The guide suggest that I do not modify green so when is it a good idea?

I don't really understand what you're asking here either. Green is usually the reference so no need to adjust. There are times that, yes, you may need to adjust green if you want to bump light output up or down and can't get things flat. There are no hard or fast rules.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: