Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Marquee Ultra vs. non-Ultra in pictures

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: Marquee Ultra vs. non-Ultra in pictures Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Just for the benefit of those who haven't seen it, here's the difference between the range of geometry adjustments that
can be made for a regular non-Ultra Marquee and for a Marquee Ultra.

There are some hardware differences in an Ultra, reference to a standard non-Ultra machine.

The backplane and upper motherboard are different and carry more traces on them.

The focus board becomes the focus and geometry board (FGM).

Firmware is different, too. Ultras started at somewhere around firmware revision 4.5 if I have my information right.

First two pictures: A non-Ultra with geometry settings all at 100, and the data screen showing this.

Non ultra geo data.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  128.13 KB
 Viewed:  4370 Time(s)

Non ultra geo data.jpg

non ultra max geo.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  136.96 KB
 Viewed:  4370 Time(s)

non ultra max geo.jpg

cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next two pictures: An Ultra with the same settings also at 100.

Ultra geo data.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  130.92 KB
 Viewed:  4369 Time(s)

Ultra geo data.jpg

Ultra max geo.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  123.74 KB
 Viewed:  4369 Time(s)

Ultra max geo.jpg

cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you can see, the Ultra has greatly improved ability to fit the picture to the screen. This is really meant for use in simulation systems with multi-sectional dome screens.

I did not attempt to make any changes to convergence, which would have allowed even more range of adjustment.

That's with all the settings at 100. With the settigns at zero, the reshaping of the raster is every bit as dramatic, but rather than be bell shaped, it's generally hourglass shaped instead.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for giggles I swapped the Ultra FGM into the non-Ultra machine, and non-Ultra focus module into the Ultra, and I can tell you now that you can have the greater geometry control capacity regardless of whether you have the FGM or just a regular focus module.

I need to get into the manual and find out for myself what the extra circuitry on the FGM is really for.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same goes for the Barco 909 series. Geometry range was far more on it than older 808 series, which makes it ideal for stacking and blending.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, Curt, what exactly do the extra circuits on the FGM relate to?

If they actually affect some aspect of picture adjustment, I haven't found it yet.

I've established that the extra geometry adjustments are available depending on firmware, and not on the presence
of an FGM vs. an FCM.

But the FCM's extra circuits must be for SOMETHING.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: