Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

BLACK celing paint
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
ecrabb wrote:
Dave, I think you missed Ron's point. He wasn't saying Home Depot shouldn't sell paint, he's saying he doesn't buy it there - for a reason.

It was the comparison to Walmart that I objected to. The point of this comparison is that home depot "sells everything" like walmart (as he indicated with groceries, bicycles, etc.).

My point was that they are not like Walmart. Yes, they have branched out a bit, but their focus is clearly home improvement and home improvement logically includes paint.

I've used Sherwin Williams, Behr (from HD), and American Traditions (from Lowes) and see no appreciable difference between them.

Dave
View user's photo album (1 photos)
WTS

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought.

Why don't you just use some conviluted foam which is usd for sound studios. It comes in black or other dark colours. Because it is porous and usually in triangle shape it will not reflect the light like a painted surface will, it will also absorb sound from reflecting and ceiling reflections for sound are some of the worst for quality sound.

I saw some inexpensive stuff on ebay which came out of Ontario somewhere and I'm sure you don't have to do your whole ceiling to get the desired effect.

Course then you have to figure out how to keep it up there, you could use some spray on glue or something like PL400 or similiar.

AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the sugestion Walter. I can't do anything to this place that I can't undo later. It's rented. Black paint can be made white later but you can't get PL-400 off textured plaster I wouldn't say. Wink

I was thinking of the foam for my side pannels but I don't know the fire rating of that stuff. I had some that was used to pack hard drives. A sheet of 8 x 12" or so will burn up fast enough that you barely have time to drop it. So that was a no go.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
wendortb

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an idea if you do want to use foam on the ceiling. You could put up like 1/4" or 1/2 mdf or plywood on the ceiling using screws and glue the foam to the boards. It would be pretty cheap and easy to undo. For that fact I guess you could just use speaker grill cloth with some foam under it. Just an idea outside the box.
WTS

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you could drape black velvet in folds on the ceiling too I suppose. An uneven surface is going to absorb more light and reflect less than a painted surface.
ronholm

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Person99 wrote:

Yeah, you are right. It is pretty stupid for a store that specializes in home improvement to sell paint. Rolling Eyes

You really piss me off you know it....

I buy anywhere from 10 to 50 gallons of paint per week... That behr stuff is a joke and is hard to make customers happy with.... I have a lot of very picky customers.. It is very possible to get an acceptable finish with almost any brand of paint.. My crews prefer the SW stuff, and for good reason... If you want a indestructible awesome looking paint job.. Spend the money with Sherwin and buy paint from their DURATION line.. That hardware store stuff doesn't even come close.....

When working on small projects nothing beats the depot.. In fact my company did spend over 30,000 dollars there last year one stop and I can buy an electrical part and a plumbing part and pick up a tube of caulking.. For the most part their stores are highly organized... Which is a good thing because 90% of the people that work the stores around here don't have a F-ing clue...

But i buy to much of that kind of stuff and know the difference between the junk and the good stuff... I do this every day of my life..

If I have CRT improvement questions I'll direct them towards you Dave you have a in depth understanding of that stuff.. Leave the construction stuff to me... I am very good at that stuff.. Just finished painting the interior of a 750,000 dollar home last week...
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I have never found the paints and cleaning agents, solvents, etc. to be all that great at the big-box places. Now, some might think I am defending Ron by siding with him, but I don't know him from beans. Smile But I can say that if I am going to paint anything of considerable area its not going to be Behr, which I have used in very small applications.

Surprisingly, I have been using SW stuff for several years. Heck, they even formulate a paint designed to go on in one coat and be done by idiots (1st timers). BTW, SW owns several other companies, include Duron and that os so well-known stain company Minwax. Its not that I enjoy paying for the prices of paints at the SW store, but that I dislike having to paint 3-5 coats using what the bix boxes have to offer in that kind of product category.

Hey, if you wanted to hide the natural surface grain of sanded birch plywood (I know, I should have used MDF) that measures roughly 40"x60", is there something other than additional applications of paint that can do the job?

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree w/ Ronholm....... Shocked

the behr and am traditions are crap (imho) they dont cover worth a damn and the colors are a bit touchy.

A professional suggested Benjamin moore paints to me and i've been more than satisfied since. Its more expensive but its worth it

View user's photo album (3 photos)
ronholm

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hey, if you wanted to hide the natural surface grain of sanded birch plywood (I know, I should have used MDF) that measures roughly 40"x60", is there something other than additional applications of paint that can do the job?

Prime it.... Then skim with a Drywall topping compound... Sand with 200Grit.... Prime again.. Then paint

With wood the first couple applications of any finishing product will always lift small wood fibers up.... you may just paint with a oil base primer and sand b/t coats ... It should only take a 2 or 3 coats to get a perfectly smooth finish...

I buy Sherwin paint, for less than the box store prices..

That Duration line they have is still very $$$$$$ but nothing I have seen beats it for durability... Its self priming... Which means I can do exterior painting with one product in one coat... The labor savings more than justifies the extra cost there....

Quote:

Now, some might think I am defending Ron by siding with him, but I don't know him from beans

Quote:
I agree w/ Ronholm.......

Laughing I won't let that go to my head.... LOL that just made my day John... I have agreed with you a couple times too.... Thumbs Up

I have not used Beng. Moore, or any of the others paint supplier brands recently.. SW has a good product and with my volume the price they give me is unbeatable....
JustGreg

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing as it's your livingroom and not a dedicated HT "cave" have you considered a cloth alternative?

I considered installing a drywall ceiling in my basement HT but discarded the plan for a couple reasons...first and foremost was the possible future need to access the "arteries" of my house, eg, wiring, gas lines, plumbing, ducting.
The second was the myriad of intrusive elements extending down at different depths into the ceiling area. Finding the worst offender and installing a drywall ceiling to the measurement of it would have robbed me of 8 inches when floor to joist is only 7'6" as it is. So I went with black king and queen sized sheets over unbacked fiberglass insulation.
I treated them with a flame retardent bath and I think they look just as good as drywall for a whole lot less time, effort, and money. Deep black is deep black right? It isn't like our eyes can tell the difference. If the day comes when/if I think they're faded...I remove them and re dye them black.

My dimes worth.

Greg

"Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care!" --Jimmy Buffett
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have been more specific. This will be a bat cave. Possible with the bat ( see my album) I can't make any holes in the celing. I am not using MDF for anything. That stuff makes me sneeze uncontrolably and my eyes swell shut. I use only real wood. The exception is my wall unit. It's particle board but it's sealed on all sides.

The celing is textured plaster. There is no wood in the celing to screw anything to. I can not make any holes.

Ronholm do you know off haand if Sherwin has a flat black celing paint?

Just Greg what did you use for a flame retardent?

CRT.

HD done right!

Last edited by AnalogRocks on Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Bruce 09

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I am curious as well Smile

Are you still wondering about ceiling paint ? I thought it would be done by now Smile There simply cannot be that many recommendations to consider on ceiling paint.
Sherwin's top line probably is better Behr's BUT who needs it. I could name four paint manufactures That I have personally used that are better than Sherwin, BUT who cares .

IN a HT theater rental that you will have to repaint getting the "best" (which Sherwins is not) Smile I would instead use cheaper clay filled chalky paint and instead of using a good roller use a longer knapped roller to put some texture on the ceiling, that will help with reflections more than using Sherwin over Behr .

IN YOUR situation I would do Black fabric, in the long run it will be easier and cheaper and will do a better job of of killing room reflection.
PLUS if you wanted to do some basic sound improvements it is easy to insulate behind the fabric without taking too much time for making the panels look nice .

You can tack the fabric up with heavy duty BLACK metal thumb tacks and when you move it is simple pull the fabric down ..

PS
Ron I hope you are not using Sherwin's self priming paint to prime outside.

Bruce
emdawgz1

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:

Per the S.W. website, Classic 99 is the ceiling paint in their product line, and it does come in a flat. Bohemian Black seems to be the darkest tha they have.

View user's photo album (3 photos)
ronholm

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya know I never really took a liking to that Classic 99 stuff I dunno why.... It just doesn't seem to work/cover as well.. The guys do most of the work and they never liked it either.. It has been a long time since I have bought that stuff..

Part of my basis for my SW affection is that about 70% of the time my crews are applying paint with an airless sprayer.. There is a huge difference in the amount of over spray generated by different paints...

Analog.. I can call my guy here locally and get the numbers for what you would need to get that flattest black possible if you want.. For some chemical reason I am sure that bruce is aware of the SW flat seems a lot flatter that other brands though.

Oh and about this...
Quote:

Ron I hope you are not using Sherwin's self priming paint to prime outside.

I love that Duration stuff.... about 90 % of the exterior surface I paint are re coat or pre primed so the self priming part well... ya know... But to date I have not had a problem using Duration as a one coat wonder... I do a lot of repaints on houses less than 5 years old that need stripped b/c no primer was used on trim boards... In fact I sold a paint job today on a 3 year old home worth about 350,000 that needs a ton of wood rot repair and a complete repaint... I think I know the builder and he only uses that "southwest builders" Crapp... and uses Illegal help to apply it... That "southwest" cheap crapp paint is what gives Sherwin such a bad name...

The other major paint suppliers around here may have a great product.. But I have not had a complaint to date about a SW product and the service they give me is top notch...
ronholm

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
IN YOUR situation I would do Black fabric, in the long run it will be easier and cheaper and will do a better job of of killing room reflection.
PLUS if you wanted to do some basic sound improvements it is easy to insulate behind the fabric without taking too much time for making the panels look nice .

You can tack the fabric up with heavy duty BLACK metal thumb tacks and when you move it is simple pull the fabric down

I would also go with this solution.... Cheap and easy... Faster to fix than trying to make a black surface white again.....
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no way to hold the fabric to the celing. I'm not making hole in the 50 year old plaster.

I have been procrastinating this for a while because I got sidetracked by finishing the bathroom.
The we had to fix the kitchen cupbord there was a small 2 foot hole under the sink that had to be fillled as well as the seems with stuff it foam (messy stuff but fun )

Then I'll recaulked the bathroom.
The list goes on.

CRT.

HD done right!
JustGreg

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:

Just Greg what did you use for a flame retardent?

A friend of mine has a fire prevention company specializing in fire prevention. He brought over some of this stuff:

http://www.envirograf.com/acrobat/retardants.pdf

He brought a 5 gal bucket of the stuff and I filled one side of my laundry sink with it and soaked the sheets for a couple hours. If you ever use this stuff in spray form for other uses such as every day drapes, bed sheets, blankets, etc, don't dry them after washing with dryer sheets in the dryer. They should be retreated after washing anyway he says.

Greg

As far as how to hang the sheets to the ceiling....use an industrial stapler. The sheets weigh practically nothing and the holes are small and easily repaired. When/if you ever have to remove the sheets and fix the holes, fill one hand with joint compound, and just use the index finger of the free hand to dap it into the holes. You wouldn't need that many staples anyway. The shiny metal of the staple heads can be easily covered over while it's hanging using a Sharpie Marker. Quick and easy. Better than painting it all black and then having to put 5 coats of paint to hide the black later.

Greg

"Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care!" --Jimmy Buffett
Bruce 09

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There's no way to hold the fabric to the celing. I'm not making hole in the 50 year old plaster.

OH OK

Bruce
ronholm

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How wide is your room??? Use long 2x4 and drive wedges at either end to keep them up....

Is there a light fixture in the center of the room.. Use that opening as an anchor point and tack your fabric into the corners. the holes in the very corner would be np to fix...

Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have bought the rollers and the pans. The dark grey primmer should be in by Saturday they tell me. I have the masking tape and the drop cloths. I'm going to start covering the equipment tomorow when I get home from work.

Good idea about the 2x4's Ron but I'll go with the paint.

I was looking at trade show displays with all their vertical and horizontal towers but DAMN they're expensive. If I could score one 12 x 18 with about 6 to 8 towers I'd do it and use that to hang the fabric off of.

Instead I'll just go the paint route.

Man this old plaster is fragile. There's hair line fractures everywhere along the edges. Maybe I should get a HVLP spray gun for this??

CRT.

HD done right!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: