Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

BLACK celing paint
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:41 pm    Post subject: BLACK celing paint Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
It's finaly that time. The Ampro is (mostly) figured out. My living room is a non-living room. It's torn asunder ( ed: what does asunder even mean?)

I'm going from a browney beige with wood and gold accent's to a flat black celing, dark greay painted back wall and upolstered pannels on the side walls and a dark color carpet.

I have found only one brand of flat black paint meant for the celing at Rona it's $18.95 a quart. Kida pricey but I'm only doing this once so I don't mind.

Does any have other recommendations for other brands?

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Don Rombach

TV/Projector: Sony G70

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would it have to made for the ceiling?

Glidden makes a pre-mixed flat black interior paint. About $20 per gallon at Home Depot.

Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doens't HAVE to be made for the celing. That's just what it said on the can. I'd use automotive paint if I could run a sprayer in here.

Thanks for the recommendation I'll check it out. Wink

CRT.

HD done right!
zaphod

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
It doens't HAVE to be made for the celing. That's just what it said on the can. I'd use automotive paint if I could run a sprayer in here.

Thanks for the recommendation I'll check it out. Wink

Tremclad comes by the gallon in black. and to boot, you're ceiling won't rust...

but seriously, the best paint i've ever used is BenjaminMoore. the second is Behr, but it is a distant second. I tried Glidden once and it wouldn't cover like others and ended up with more coats.

Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ~think~ it was Benjamin Moore at Rona but I can't find the piece of paper I had. Ahh so it looks like Glidden is cheaper but actually cost more and takes more time to put on. Good to know. Thanks.

That's 1 vote for Benjamin Moore. Any others?

CRT.

HD done right!
emdawgz1

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

another ben moore, its the only paint i'd use.

But why black? Why not a midnight blue. no reflections, and less creepy Wink

View user's photo album (3 photos)
wallace123456

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used BEHR paint from Home Depot. The color was INK BLACK. And it is black! My ceiling has a little texture to it, so 1 gallon did it. I think it was about $23.00 a gallon. Forgot what type but I'll get the info this Saturday.

It was not ceiling paint, but the paint was thick enough so it didn't splatter.

wallace

Bruce 09

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF you can , use ceiling paint, no reason not to actually .
The reason is you want the flattest paint possible, and that is what ceiling paint is known for . They add more chalks and clays to" flatten" as much as possible this isn't great for wear or smudge resistance, But that is why it is "ceiling paint"
It will help cut down on room reflections , You can really notice flashing on ceilings and will on Black as well .

Bruce

PS
Don't buy a named color paint, Buy a "ceiling" "BASE" that will accept the most LAMP BLACK colorant as possible .
zaphod

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

another tip is to get your primer tinted. i usually do this by having them add 1/2 the amount of pigments that would go into your top coat.

top coat paints are filled so that there is enough room left in the can for the pigment. but there is usually just enough room in primer paint to take the 1/2 measures.

Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep I already have the primer lined up. It'll be a medium grey color. Two coats. I am hopping I'll get started on this on the weekend.

CRT.

HD done right!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce 09 wrote:

PS
Don't buy a named color paint, Buy a "ceiling" "BASE" that will accept the most LAMP BLACK colorant as possible .

What do you mean? Don't buy a brand name paint? The paint I am looking at doens't have to be tinted. It's black in the can. This is better than them mixing white paint and trying to make it look black no?

CRT.

HD done right!
Bruce 09

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What do you mean? Don't buy a brand name paint? The paint I am looking at doens't have to be tinted. It's black in the can. This is better than them mixing white paint and trying to make it look black no?

Well, first off you cannot make black paint from mixing in black pigment into a white paint Smile

SO if your number one goal is to make your Ceiling as "flat" , NON REFLECTIVE as possible then you should use Ceiling paint for the reasons I said earlier ...... BUT you cannot get a TRUE DEEP BASE in ceiling paint anymore . The next best step is get the BEHR 1300 series "FLAT" , Deep Base, then get the clerk to add 12ounces of Beluga Colourant .

Then try to get them to add a half ounce more Smile As Mark says you cannot believe manufactures specs, they say 12ounces max, I say squeeeze in a little more, the can will take it.

This paint will do two things it will help you hide poor rolling technique OR POOR COVERAGE and help room reflections .

Paints come in different "bases" the base you need is determined by the colour you want .

The reason this should be better than the colour swatch you are matching is the guy who made this colour swatch up didn't necessarily have a home theater ceiling in mind, never mind one that was driven by a CRT projector that has poor ansi contrast..... Smile Smile

Bruce

Last edited by Bruce 09 on Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:56 pm; edited 3 times in total
GEBrown

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I went to Home Depot and told them I was painting the ceiling and screen wall of my HT and I wanted FLAT BLACK, they said, "Oh, then you want Behr, because Glidden claims their's is washable and so they put a little enamel in it".

My 2 cents

Gary

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little while back I picked up pittsburgh paints interior flat latex paint, purple in color. It seems pretty reflective even though it says it is flat paint. Is it kind of shinny because it is a latex base? I want to repaint to get rid of this reflective and want to make sure this doesn't happen again. If I pick up Behr ceiling paint, some dark color, will this work a lot better?

Thanks,
Travis
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Behr for the flat black. I got it at home depot and they used the Disney color "Mouse Ears" which is pure black.

Dave

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....
View user's photo album (1 photos)
ronholm

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya'll should really look into Sherwin Williams.. I only use their 200 series stuff these days.. I use an airless sprayer most of the time... But with SW 200 roller marks and paint surface texture are always perfect. It is always safer to touch up than other brands.. Less likely to flash (show a difference in sheen)

But then again I just really consider Home Depot like Walmart.. I don't buy my groceries from the store that changes tires, sells drugs, and has bicycle parts, and TV's

And I don't buy paint from the Depot.... Besides with the volume of painting I do every year Sherwin is Much less $$$

I guess Behr paints would work fine.... But besides the quality of the SW paint I can't stand dealing with the crack pot kids that they hire to work at the H Depot around here....

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ronholm wrote:

But then again I just really consider Home Depot like Walmart.. I don't buy my groceries from the store that changes tires, sells drugs, and has bicycle parts, and TV's

Yeah, you are right. It is pretty stupid for a store that specializes in home improvement to sell paint. Rolling Eyes
View user's photo album (1 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found out flat paints' sheen (or lack thereof) really varies from paint company to paint company. We made the mistake of spec'ing Sherwin Williams' flat colors for the interior of our whole house when we built it a couple years ago. While I loved the look when it was new, it's like a damn chalkboard. You literally can barely TOUCH the wall without leaving a scuff mark. You can imagine what some of the higher-traffic areas look like now two years later. It is REALLY flat. Big mistake. I'll be doing some major repainting over the next couple of years.

On the other hand, our neighbors painted a bunch of their interior with Valspar's American Traditions' "flat" paint from Lowes, and it wasn't flat at all! It was probably more like Sherwin Williams' Satin - even a tad towards semi-gloss!

If you can, I'd have them dab some on a card and use a hair dryer on it to really see a particular paint's sheen before you spend $20 or $25 to buy a gallon.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Bruce 09

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ya'll should really look into Sherwin Williams.. I only use their 200 series stuff these days.. I use an airless sprayer most of the time... But with SW 200 roller marks and paint surface texture are always perfect. It is always safer to touch up than other brands.. Less likely to flash (show a difference in sheen)

Sherwin Williams is a hardware store paint as well, it is not a high end paint , They are both in the same league of paints.

In this instance though , the cheaper the paint the better.
The cheaper paints use MORE clays and chalks in their paint for weight and volume so their paint will usually have a flatter sheen than a better paint which is trying to make a more durable paint .

If you were able to tint a ceiling paint as Black as the 1300 series it would even be better for a flat black ceiling .

BUT if you are not going for an absolute BLACK ceiling I would use the ceiling paints for the least sheen possible.

Dave how much beluga colourant did they use on your mickey mouse paint formula ?

Bruce
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, I think you missed Ron's point. He wasn't saying Home Depot shouldn't sell paint, he's saying he doesn't buy it there - for a reason. It's the same reason you probably wouldn't buy a projector or other high-end theater equipment from Best Buy - especially if it was part of your business! Instead, you're going to go where you get the expertise, knowledge and attention. From my experience, the guys at Sherwin-Williams stores know what the hell they're doing. They seem to be "career" guys - it's their "thing".

You have to admit that a fair chunk of the rank/file people working at Home Depot (or any other big box store for that matter) aren't doing it as their career. It's a part-time job for extra income, a full-time job while they go to school, a second job when they're not on-duty, etc.

Dave was just saying he gets a better product and service at a paint store as opposed to the paint department at Home Depot. Having worked a lot with the Sherwin-Williams folks, I tend to agree.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: