Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

$40 Stripper - HDCP 2.2 UltraHD. And why it matters to CRT!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:13 pm    Post subject: $40 Stripper - HDCP 2.2 UltraHD. And why it matters to CRT! Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
This thread splits off from the old $25 stripper thread:
http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34454&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=140

Tom.W told me that he had a new stripper that was working for HDCP 1.4 with 1080p, but that the stripper / splitter was labeled as UltraHD. This is what the new splitter looks like.

There are several boxes that look like this on the market, and it seems that the ones with both the outputs next to each other and the input off to the side next to the power connector are using this board. We have seen two differently painted boxes (my photos show both), but both have the identical board inside.

There is another box that looks similar, but the HDMI input is between the two HDMI outputs. I have not tested that board.

So naturally we wanted to know if the new box is capable of stripping HDCP 2.2 on HDMI 2.x. Well after much delay I finally had the hardware and time to test it. Below is the test setup.

The source is my Murideo SIX-G HDMI generator sending HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2. To make this a real test, I also tested with both Rec709 enabled and then Rec2020 enabled. I also tried HDR on and off from the SIX-G. For the experiment, the SIX-G is connected directly to the Murideo SIX-A HDMI analyzer for a control, and then connected through the new splitter. The results can be seen below:

Control: Murideo SIX-G > Murideo SIX-A

Results: Murideo SIX-G > Splitter/Stripper > SIX-A

As can be seen, the new splitter does indeed strip HDCP 2.2. It is also capable of passing both Rec709 and the Rec2020 flag as well as the HDR flag. Passing Rec2020 and HDR really surprised me.

The box does seem limited in that it looks to be only using a 9 GHz chip. So as far as I can tell, this box cannot do 4k @ 60Hz, only at 24Hz. That said, I did not experiment with different HDMI cables so it's possible that the box could do more with different cables (though I doubt it).

So there we have it, an UltrHD HDCP 2.2 stripper Smile You can find these off and on at eBay, Amazon, and Ali. They run around $45.

This is wonderful news for CRT owners (and for those struggling with HDMI 2.x and HDCP 2.2) because right now we have nothing that can do HDCP 2.2 on a CRT. With this box you could hook up an UHD BD player and set it to 1080p 60Hz or 24Hz and benefit from the improved color bandwidth of UHD. You could also connect to a Lumagen PRO and down sample the 4k to a lower resolution and run with that. There are more good reasons for wanting HDCP 2.2 on a CRT, but I bet others will chime in.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892

Last edited by CIR Engineering on Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for posting Craig. I was actually going to suggest starting an new thread as that old one is so bloated.

Will this thing cure the "HDMI drops" problem where the signal is lost and you have to unplug/replug everything? I don't have this but many people do.
View user's photo album (2 photos)
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

draganm wrote:
thanks for posting Craig. I was actually going to suggest starting an new thread as that old one is so bloated.

Will this thing cure the "HDMI drops" problem where the signal is lost and you have to unplug/replug everything? I don't have this but many people do.

It along with the old $25 stripper may very well cure the problem.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Craig,
How these splitters work? I mean the outputs are in-sync, or are they at constant delay, or randomly delayed?

View user's photo album (1 photos)
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjaky wrote:
Hello Craig,
How these splitters work? I mean the outputs are in-sync, or are they at constant delay, or randomly delayed?

I'm not quite sure what you mean Embarassed

There might be some delay in the A/V, but I am sure it is almost no time; if there is any delay at all.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean the delay between the outputs, like if you'd want to split the HDMI signal for a CRT stack, how much would be the delay between the two projector's output? On newer video cards there is an option that the outputs are synchronized (even in digital output) so the frames are put on the output on the exact same time. There are applications where random (always changing) delay between the outputs are not allowable. So I was just curious how the splitters actually split the signal?
View user's photo album (1 photos)
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'd better get my hands on one of these before someone decides that they're illegal and stops them from coming into the country.
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjaky wrote:
I mean the delay between the outputs, like if you'd want to split the HDMI signal for a CRT stack, how much would be the delay between the two projector's output? On newer video cards there is an option that the outputs are synchronized (even in digital output) so the frames are put on the output on the exact same time. There are applications where random (always changing) delay between the outputs are not allowable. So I was just curious how the splitters actually split the signal?

Got it.

I have no way to test this, but I would expect the delay to be negligible or nonexistent. For the price, it's worth a try IMHO.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
dummyload

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have an ebay link to that model ,can't find it and do not know the others strip the hdcp.
(don't want to buy one that doesn't strip the hdcp ,been there done that)
Hulio

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dummyload wrote:
Do you have an ebay link to that model ,can't find it and do not know the others strip the hdcp.
(don't want to buy one that doesn't strip the hdcp ,been there done that)

I've got this one few months ago and can confirm that it works without a problem. If you would like to play with it, you may have it for a week or so. I won't use my HT room for few weeks anyway. Just let me know...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ViewHD-1x2-HDMI-Splitter-v1-3b-One-Input-to-Two-Output-/270641169821?hash=item3f0378859d:g:WDYAAOSwu1VW74e7
barclay66

TV/Projector: Marquee 9500 Ultra

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hulio wrote:

I've got this one few months ago and can confirm that it works without a problem. If you would like to play with it, you may have it for a week or so. I won't use my HT room for few weeks anyway. Just let me know...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ViewHD-1x2-HDMI-Splitter-v1-3b-One-Input-to-Two-Output-/270641169821?hash=item3f0378859d:g:WDYAAOSwu1VW74e7

Hi,

That's the previous one from the other thread (HDMI 1.3).

The model described by Craig can be found in Europe under the Ligawo brand. Model Number is 3080001. Just ordered one from eBay...

Regards,
barclay66
View user's photo album (25 photos)
dummyload

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the offer Hulio.
Thanks Barcly66 for the brand and model number found one .
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The slitter I tested comes on and off the market. It does not seem to be consistently available. So if you want it and you see one, than my advice is to grab it quick. Right now they are available on Amazon.com and I just ordered another one Smile

http://amzn.to/291guDI

It also says, "4k2k@60Hz with 12bit YCBCR 4:2:0" so I may need to do some more testing.

I also checked .de, .co.uk, and .jp with no luck on those country's Amazon sites. I couldn't find any one eBay or Ali either.

This is the one that I specifically mentioned as having NOT tested. I do not know if it stripped HDCP at all or not.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OREI-1x2-2-Ports-HDX-102-Premium-HDMI-Splitter-3D-Full-Ultra-HD-4K-2K-Support-/360975804344?hash=item540bd5a7b8:g:k4QAAOSw9NxTsVcf

This listing also does not say 4k or UltraHD either so probably not a good choice.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
Tom.W

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the post Craig great results ! Here is a link but ships from China ....

http://amzn.to/293tiLc
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

confused,
so we need the old one AND This one ? or just one of them?
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, where would you put this thing. Just before the moome card, or do you need one on every source before it even gets to your AV Receiver?
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig, I love those little HDMI testers. What's the cheapest place you've found to get one?
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I did some more testing with multiple cables and here are the results.

I first tried the manufacturer's specified "4k2k@60Hz with 12-bit YCBCR 4:2:0," and it did not work. Here is a photo of the SIX-G connected directly to the SIX-A. Note that it is over 13 GHz. With the slitter, the signal did not pass. So this splitter does NOT support 4k2k@60Hz with 12-bit YCBCR 4:2:0 even though it says it does.

Control: Murideo SIX-G > SIX-A

I then tried 4k2k@60Hz with 10-bit YCBCR 4:2:0 and this also failed.

Finally, I tried 4k2k@60Hz with 8-bit YCBCR 4:2:0 and this passed! But again, this should work because it is below 9 GHz and I am now even more certain that this splitter uses a 9 GHz chip.

Experiment: SIX-G > Splitter > SIX-A

So you can get 60Hz 4k through the splitter as long as it's under 9 GHz. This means only with YCbCr 4:2:0 8-bit color at 60Hz.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

draganm wrote:
confused,
so we need the old one AND This one ? or just one of them?

You only need one, not both. If all you want to do is run HD 1080p or below than either splitter will work. If you want to use a 4k source with HDCP 2.2 than you need the newer one that I am demonstrating here.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

draganm wrote:
also, where would you put this thing. Just before the moome card, or do you need one on every source before it even gets to your AV Receiver?

Depends.

If your receiver supports HDMI 2.x and HDCP 2.2 than you only need one between the receiver output to Moome card.

If your receiver does not support HDCP 2.2 than you need one between the source to receiver for each HDCP 2.2 source. But, than you don't need one between the receiver and Moome card.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: