Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Meet/Gjaky/Marqueeboard thread!!!!!!!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Actually my reason for continuing to use CRT projectors is a matter of thrift. I am not married to the mighty cathode ray tube but I seem to have an abundance of pristine tubes and healthy projectors and see no reason to waste all that stuff only for the privelege of spending a lot of money I don't have to replace them with smaller, lighter projectors that honestly don't deliver a picture that's really better in any way that matters to me.

But if all my tubes were toast, that'd be a different story.
greg9518lc

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My reason for using CRT? CRT still provides a superior image and with these wider bandwidth
mods being made availible in the near near future our projectors will get better once again.

TV/Projector: Vidikron Vision 1 - Ultra

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Greg,

I'm truly with you & looking forward for Gjaky latest mod and please keep pushing for it.

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haireez wrote:
Hi Greg,

I'm truly with you & looking forward for Gjaky latest mod and please keep pushing for it.
Thanks will do
and it seems we are not that far away Very Happy

Moving on to full test bed everything seems to be working
and progressing forward.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg9518lc wrote:
racerxnet wrote:
cmjohnson wrote:
Please reveal what you have found regarding what versions of Marquee neck cards work best with LUG tubes,
and if possible show pictures of the version that works best.

I'm NOT asking you to reveal the new modded cards, just identify and show the "stock" type of card that is best for LUGs.

You would think with the dying CRT that information about picture improvements would be shared.

Max you want the old style boards for your 8500

I will spill the beans but the answer is not so clear.

Fact went thru 21 neckcards for lugs and was only able to match up 3 sets of 3 neckboards

Also it took 50 hours to match these neck cards sets and rate them A, B+ and B the other 12 boards are sh*t. What
are the chance your boards in your Marquee or VDC are very good? I would say no chance in hell of that happening.

So if you want a great set of boards and put the time in and you will be able to have a better picture. My A set of
boards track and focus better than any modded board I have tried and for lugs have the most output. It took 21
boards to come up with this one set.

The answer in short buy a ton of boards and test them why do you think me and kurt have so many projectors Mr. Green Mr. Green :mrgreen:

Or you can build matching sets with blank boards and match each component on the boards like in High end audio
gear. But you need blank boards first Wink

Nashou

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooooooooo snap!! Laughing

1 point to Nash Very Happy

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
racerxnet

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
greg9518lc wrote:
racerxnet wrote:
cmjohnson wrote:
Please reveal what you have found regarding what versions of Marquee neck cards work best with LUG tubes,
and if possible show pictures of the version that works best.

I'm NOT asking you to reveal the new modded cards, just identify and show the "stock" type of card that is best for LUGs.

You would think with the dying CRT that information about picture improvements would be shared.

Max you want the old style boards for your 8500

I will spill the beans but the answer is not so clear.

Fact went thru 21 neckcards for lugs and was only able to match up 3 sets of 3 neckboards

Also it took 50 hours to match these neck cards sets and rate them A, B+ and B the other 12 boards are sh*t. What
are the chance your boards in your Marquee or VDC are very good? I would say no chance in hell of that happening.

So if you want a great set of boards and put the time in and you will be able to have a better picture. My A set of
boards track and focus better than any modded board I have tried and for lugs have the most output. It took 21
boards to come up with this one set.

The answer in short buy a ton of boards and test them why do you think me and kurt have so many projectors Mr. Green Mr. Green :mrgreen:

Or you can build matching sets with blank boards and match each component on the boards like in High end audio
gear. But you need blank boards first Wink

Nashou

Yawn.......zzzz
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be seriously curious to see test pattern results between unmatched and matched boards. I want to see a visible difference.

I remember back in the day when people were doing Marquee V board anamorphic mods, and one guy insisted that 1% tolerance resistors were needed to match the gains of all 3 vertical output sections. I thought that made sense, until I realized that you have independent R and B vertical size adjustments in the service menu, so you could use +/- 25% resistors, and it wouldn't make a difference.

Here, of course, you have no gain controls,. which is why I'm curious.

I also think it's the reason there's so much bashing and negative comments out there, the tweakers each think their own mods are the best, but some simple before and after pix would prove it. I'm not saying they don't make a difference, I'm completely neutral at this point. I want to be swayed one way or the other. Screen shots won't do that. Test patterns will. Smile
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nash, how in the seven hells did you manage to get those boards?
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
I would be seriously curious to see test pattern results between unmatched and matched boards. I want to see a visible difference.

I remember back in the day when people were doing Marquee V board anamorphic mods, and one guy insisted that 1% tolerance resistors were needed to match the gains of all 3 vertical output sections. I thought that made sense, until I realized that you have independent R and B vertical size adjustments in the service menu, so you could use +/- 25% resistors, and it wouldn't make a difference.

Here, of course, you have no gain controls,. which is why I'm curious.

I also think it's the reason there's so much bashing and negative comments out there, the tweakers each think their own mods are the best, but some simple before and after pix would prove it. I'm not saying they don't make a difference, I'm completely neutral at this point. I want to be swayed one way or the other. Screen shots won't do that. Test patterns will. Smile

In fact there are gain controls, think about G2, brightness and drive... What is nasty about the transistors is that their current gain factor (aka. hfe) is depending on the actual collector current, and this is the problem as with different output levels they demand nonlinearly different input current, and the VNB circuit does not include any feedback in gain. So from this point of view simply matching transistors at an unknown collector current with a 20$ chinese component tester may not help much, for such approach the transistors should be matched around their working current, minimum, but if you want no compromise you want to use a transistor curve tracer, and pair transistors with matching hfe curves vs. collector current.

Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I like the theory, now let's see action! Very Happy

My only counter is that the G2 control doesn't go through or affect the VNB, other than a couple of solder points on the board. you're right on the gain control though.
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
OK, I like the theory, now let's see action! Very Happy

My only counter is that the G2 control doesn't go through or affect the VNB, other than a couple of solder points on the board. you're right on the gain control though.

And you are right on the G2, but still the VNB has a "brightness" feature.
Otherwise I'm not sure these are something you can catch with showing test patterns, at least not with a camera. Pretty much like showing off how good a high-end system can sound through a youtube video Very Happy

greg9518lc

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey curt here is a set of marquee matched boards why not post some pics of your 909 boards
this is possible with matched neck boards. This is from my b+ rated boards.

[img][/img]
[img][/img]

Last edited by greg9518lc on Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've said many times, I personally have no interest in mods and tweaks, and I take horrible screen shots, so I'm definitely not a participant. I will watch though.

As for your pictures, they were taken completely differently, as shown by the video noise of the camera in the first image. That's not a true A/B comparison. Why not set up a camera on a tripod, then post a dead-on screen shot of each of the neck board types and mods, as you did with the last picture?
greg9518lc

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

October 17th there will be new lug neckboard mods and the new Momee card
mods installed in my 9518LC. Will try and document the differences the best I can.

These mods focus on the least amount of noise with maximum sharpness and transparency
I will give a full review of the ice clear gycol and pre and post calibration numbers before and after upgrades have been made.
If anyone else would like to attend pm me for more details.

As for a full blown meet once the new Vim is finalized I will set a date. To show the complete set of matched mods that will only be available as a complete matched package only and will be fully tested in a lug or lcp machine at 1080p 72hz 195mhz. There will be only 3 complete sets made available to the public this includes 7 modified boards. The name of these custom mods is
Lord Voldermort.........

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why only 3 sets? I'm fine personally but the demand might be higher than just 3 sets. Or am I missing something?
greg9518lc

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thewolfman wrote:
Why only 3 sets? I'm fine personally but the demand might be higher than just 3 sets. Or am I missing something?
Quality control and its a hobby not a business.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg9518lc wrote:
thewolfman wrote:
Quality control and its a hobby not a business.

Ok. Well, than you Kurt and Gjaky are the 3?
racerxnet

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg9518lc wrote:
mods installed in my 9518LC. Will try and document the differences the best I can.

These mods focus on the least amount of noise with maximum sharpness and transparency
I will give a full review of the ice clear gycol and pre and post calibration numbers before and after upgrades have been made.

As for a full blown meet once the new Vim is finalized I will set a date. To show the complete set of matched mods that will only be available as a complete matched package only and will be fully tested in a lug or lcp machine at 1080p 72hz 195mhz. There will be only 3 complete sets made available to the public this includes 7 modified boards. The name of these custom mods is
Lord Voldermort.........
All that hoopla for 3 sets.. Lol.

MAK
jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

racerxnet wrote:
greg9518lc wrote:

Lord Voldermort.........
All that hoopla for 3 sets.. Lol.

MAK

With all three sets accounted for there's no incentive to come to the meet Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12
Jump to: