Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Meet/Gjaky/Marqueeboard thread!!!!!!!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greg9518lc

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Sold my camera out of the screenshot business as cm
pointed out pretty much useless. Crt will never look artificially sharp. The whole point for me taking shots it
does show how compressed digital is in person. Look forward to all of you at the meet.Look at the james bond
comparrison I rest my case....

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg9518lc wrote:
Sold my camera out of the screenshot business as cm
pointed out pretty much useless. Crt will never look artificially sharp. The whole point for me taking shots it
does show how compressed digital is in person. Look forward to all of you at the meet.Look at the james bond
comparrison I rest my case....

Most important is that we use our projectors to enjoy a whole lot of movies/tv-series/sports.

I have seen the RS600 many times now, and I think when all processing is turned off the picture is very natural and organic. In a bat cave the blacks are awesome.

Myself are jumping back to try crt for awhile with a Sony G90. I know, Greg, it is not as good as late 9518lc with mods, but I hope I can enjoy it.

I would like to try a 9518lc with lugs and red and green c-elements. But it is not any available here in Norway.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
The amount of defective thinking that goes into believing that seeing a test pattern posted on a website, as seen from your browser , displayed on your computer monitor, and thinking you're seeing an accurate represenation of what you'd see in person, is absolutely stunning.

You're totally ignoring such factors as resizing, rescaling, and compression.

I COULD take pictures of my machines running, using my 36 megapixel, 3300 dollar Nikon D810 with another 2000 dollars
worth of lens attached to it, but there isn't any way for you to view the full uncompressed 36 MP raw file on this website.

I can't email a picture that big, I could host it on my photobucket account but they limit file sizes for non-paying users,
your computer would probably choke anyway trying to display an uncompressed 36MP image.

So I would have to shoot a smaller image, maybe 12 MP. Still too big. OK, resize it and save it as a jpeg. Now it could
be uploaded, but what you're going to see is going to be a smaller image loaded with compression artifacts. EVERY sharp edge WILL be blurred, that's how .jpg works. So does .png.

You'll never see, on this forum, images that do proper justice to what was photographed.

So don't pay them much credit.

Of corse I know this and I also own high end camera gear and lenses.

But a simple 1080p testpattern screenshot wieved on my computer can tell me something. When it comes to screenshots of movies they are totally worthless and I have said that all the time, but many of the CRT guys in here can draw very detailed conclusions about color, blacklevel, dynamics, chroma resolution +++ and that is a load of bull... Wink

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh come on, now you're making it ALL up. I'm not seeing anybody making the claims you're mentioning.

Screenshots can be useful, if they're taken to reveal something specific, such as a small area of the picture showing detail resolution and not the whole frame at once.

But in some ways, a screenshot can't really be very informative because you're adding so many more layers between the image
on the screen from the projector being evaluated and the image that reaches your eyes on your monitor on your PC.
Andreas21

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
Oh come on, now you're making it ALL up. I'm not seeing anybody making the claims you're mentioning.

Screenshots can be useful, if they're taken to reveal something specific, such as a small area of the picture showing detail resolution and not the whole frame at once.

But in some ways, a screenshot can't really be very informative because you're adding so many more layers between the image
on the screen from the projector being evaluated and the image that reaches your eyes on your monitor on your PC.

No, I am not. This is from other discussions earlier in this forum.

Like you say a photo can say much about details and then a part of a 1080p pattern is very useful... Wink

Last edited by Andreas21 on Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
greg9518lc

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screenshots were fun when all of us crt guys were awful at taking them. And now who cares
a cellphone is good enough to show differences. Look at the screenshot thread and the answer is yes
you can tell a difference from a 909 to G90 to 9518LC and yes a digital.

[img][/img]

Killer cellphone pic lol..............

Last edited by greg9518lc on Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:19 am; edited 1 time in total
greg9518lc

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="pj-toso"][quote="greg9518lc"]Sold my camera out of the screenshot business as cm
comparrison I rest my case....[/quote]

Most important is that we use our projectors to enjoy a whole lot of movies/tv-series/sports.

I have seen the RS600 many times now, and I think when all processing is turned off the picture is very natural and organic. In a bat cave the blacks are awesome.

Myself are jumping back to try crt for awhile with a Sony G90. I know, Greg, it is not as good as late 9518lc with mods, but I hope I can enjoy it.

I would like to try a 9518lc with lugs and red and green c-elements. But it is not any available here in Norway.[/quote

We can make the 9518lc happen they are out there to be had.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danish mods

Last edited by greg9518lc on Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:21 am; edited 1 time in total
greg9518lc

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kurt and MP will getting some as well as me what do I do with the other 3 gallons??????????[img][/img]

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a Epson UB6040 will be at the meet..................

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please pm me to reserve a spot and the first post has been
updated. Mp will be the guest of honor as his mods will be on display to show what a properly setup VDC 9518LC can do.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll buy the 3 gallons from you.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's far enough in the future that I can actually think about going. No promises or guarantees, but even on my erratic income (ebay) I might be able to set aside some money for the trip.
greg9518lc

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="cmjohnson"]That's far enough in the future that I can actually think about going. No promises or guarantees, but even on my erratic income (ebay) I might be able to set aside some money for the trip.[/quote]

Well we also will have other stuff for you as well so should be worth the trip Very Happy

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What, someone got a spare G90 they want to give me just for the fun of it? Very Happy
pj-toso

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would really like to be at this meeting. But us Vikings are 'banned' from the meeting.

I got my recently aquired G90 up an running this weekend (it has new simulator-grade LUGS and the correct colored c-elements). I have had jvcs the past years (and still have, I also have watched my friend 'Didderns' rs600 a lot.)

The G90 has Moome ifb fullhd v2. I must say that I was a bit stunned to see how good and pleasant the picture is, and I am not nearly finished tunning it in, and the crts need some time to get driven-in.

It would be nice to see how good the Electrohomes has become.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pj-toso wrote:
I would really like to be at this meeting. But us Vikings are 'banned' from the meeting.

I got my recently aquired G90 up an running this weekend (it has new simulator-grade LUGS and the correct colored c-elements). I have had jvcs the past years (and still have, I also have watched my friend 'Didderns' rs600 a lot.)

The G90 has Moome ifb fullhd v2. I must say that I was a bit stunned to see how good and pleasant the picture is, and I am not nearly finished tunning it in, and the crts need some time to get driven-in.

It would be nice to see how good the Electrohomes has become.

There is no one banned from this meeting and nice to here your machine is up and running and your happy.
I am sure once calibrated it will look very nice.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meet is still on for October 8th and 9th who is planning on attending so I can make preparations
for the meet and how much beer and food I need to prepare for?

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not, but if all goes well my modification board will attend the meet, maybe it will even can be seen in action Wink
PS.: my board does not like beer much...

View user's photo album (1 photos)
greg9518lc

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjaky wrote:
I'm not, but if all goes well my modification board will attend the meet, maybe it will even can be seen in action Wink
PS.: my board does not like beer much...

Trying to keep that on the down low but guess the cat is out of the bag Mr. Green Also people will be able to see how they
are installed and will be able to ask questions and see first hand what the bring to the table. Looking forward to all this
coming together and you tester is one tuff cookie so hope they pass QC Razz

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 7 of 12
Jump to: