Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Movie & Media Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
So who has their tix? I was a bit diappointed with the third act in the Force Awakens and I'm hoping this chapter will make up for that. Going to see it in IMAX opening night.

The trailers definitely have a different/darker tone than the previous films. The first thing I noticed was how they rearranged the star wars theme music; slowed it down and gave it more of a subdued feeling. There's rumors that the reshoots were because Gareth Edwards original cut was too dark for Disney's taste. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't have tickets but planning on seeing it over the holidays. I also have high hopes that it's a bit darker/more brooding than Force Awakens (which didn't mind, certainly better than Ep 1/2/3, but not quite up to the standards of Ep 4/5).

I think the movies have gotten too big for them to take any chances. They have to be somewhat formulaic. That said, I have high hopes!

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry guys , this is a rental for me
View user's photo album (2 photos)
jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw this last night in IMAX and it was incredible. This is the star wars film we've been waiting for since ROTJ and makes up for last year's rehashed let down. Gareth Edwards and company have managed to craft a film that feels and fits in perfectly with the timeline surrounding ANH.

It's a gritty war film that moves quickly with purpose and shrugs off the superfluous plot lines, character devices and unecessary CGI that's plagued everything since ROTJ. The acting performances really help to elevate this one and there are quite a few surprises with some familiar faces. I didn't read spoilers leading up to this (or any of the films) so the experience was completely fresh.

If this is the model for original trilogy spin offs then Star Wars fans have a lot to look forward too Thumbs Up

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbmeyer13 wrote:
Saw this last night in IMAX and it was incredible. This is the star wars film we've been waiting for since ROTJ and makes up for last year's rehashed let down. Gareth Edwards and company have managed to craft a film that feels and fits in perfectly with the timeline surrounding ANH.

Cool!

Kal

ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbmeyer13 wrote:
If this is the model for original trilogy spin offs then Star Wars fans have a lot to look forward too Thumbs Up

Is it similar to the shift in James Bond films from the campy "Remington Steele"-esque era to the grittier Daniel Craig approach? If so, I'm pretty damn excited!

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
jbmeyer13 wrote:

Is it similar to the shift in James Bond films from the campy "Remington Steele"-esque era to the grittier Daniel Craig approach? If so, I'm pretty damn excited!

SC

Yes it is and IMO that contributes to the emotional magnitude of the film overall. I don't want to divulge any plot details or character interactions but it suffice it to say there's enough surprises without being so damn tongue in cheek. It's a grown up Star Wars film that walks the fine line between paying homage to the original trilogy while moving into new territory.

I didn't dislike the prequels and respected Lucas's effort to tell that backstory. However, I left the theater far more fulfilled this time around than anything since ROTJ.

I'll say this- they use CGI where needed in a clever manner. That alone makes it feel more like the originals trilogy.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No spoilers, please! Whatsoever!

But curious, could the title have been named better than this? No matter how strange it sounds that matters to me. "Rogue One".. what's that about? Don't tell me!. It just puts me off with a title like that.
jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the expanded universe there's a rogue squadron but the reason for this is different but makes perfect sense.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbmeyer13 wrote:
Saw this last night in IMAX and it was incredible. This is the star wars film we've been waiting for since ROTJ
the best thing since the Ewoks helped destroy the 2nd death star, wow, that is really tempting Mr. Green

jbmeyer13 wrote:
and makes up for last year's rehashed let down. Gareth Edwards and company have managed to craft a film that feels and fits in perfectly with the timeline surrounding ANH.
Gareth Edwards ? never heard of him but if they got rid of JJ Abrams that can only be a good thing.
Abrams reminds me of a famous 5 start restaurant that is really amazing and impressive right up to the point where the food arrives on your table.

I might buy the tickets this weekend, $25. for me and the boys, or might spend it on a pepperoni pizza, still not sure Wink I did swear after the last one " never again", would like to be wrong though
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

draganm wrote:
Abrams reminds me of a famous 5 start restaurant that is really amazing and impressive right up to the point where the food arrives on your table.

Still 100x better than Lucas's directing of Ep 1/2/3.

Kal

jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, the issue wasn't Abrams directing it was the regurgitated story. I was super excited because Kasdan was the screen writer and I thought who better than him to pen the story but he dropped the ball in a big way. Yet another "Death Star"...what a joke. Kylo Ren couldn't hold Darth Vaders jock so that was a major let down as well.

In Force Awakens they tried to depict a rift between General Hux and Kylo Ren as they both seeked approval of Snoke. In the process all that happened was they came across as bickering teenagers. In Rogue One, a similar dynamic existed between Director Krenick and another character and it was far more believable.

Rogue one is a supporting prequel while Force Awakens was the opportunity to chart into fresh territory. Other than seeing a few familair faces back int he saddle it failed miserably in that regard.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
draganm wrote:

Still 100x better than Lucas's directing of Ep 1/2/3.

Kal
i actually liked 2 and 3 , especially 3. I mean the creation of Darth Vader , it's not a story without that. yeah the directing could have better but I think what people are really lamenting is the loss of novelty and nostalgia of the first 3, and you can only be a star wars virgin once, buy your fist car once, kiss your first girl etc

jbmeyer13 wrote:
IMO, the issue wasn't Abrams directing it was the regurgitated story. I was super excited because Kasdan was the screen writer and I thought who better than him to pen the story but he dropped the ball in a big way. Yet another "Death Star"...what a joke. Kylo Ren couldn't hold Darth Vaders jock so that was a major let down as well..
totally agree, the story sucked and he might very well had no control over the script. I don't know one way or the other

jbmeyer13 wrote:
In Force Awakens they tried to depict a rift between General Hux and Kylo Ren as they both seeked approval of Snoke. In the process all that happened was they came across as bickering teenagers. In Rogue One, a similar dynamic existed between Director Krenick and another character and it was far more believable.
they tried to everything at once, pay homage to the original, bring back the old timers, wow the audience with special effects reminiscent of ANH, etc. Typical hollywood blockbuster flop

jbmeyer13 wrote:
Rogue one is a supporting prequel while Force Awakens was the opportunity to chart into fresh territory. Other than seeing a few familair faces back int he saddle it failed miserably in that regard.
i didn't know it was a prequel, depending on the weather i will probly go (bad weather = good movie time)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Movie & Media Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: