Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

MP 250 mhz VNB
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mp20748

TV/Projector: 9500LC Ultra / Super 02 and 03 VIM

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
barclay66 wrote:
Mike,

Sorry, but I fail to understand what Your intentions are. First, You agree to me testing the board, then something doesn't turn out as You've been expecting it and now You're calling everything off?

Maybe somethings were not clear, so this got off going in the wrong direction.

Quote:
I've asked twice (once initially and once I received the VIM) if You wanted me to test anything in particular. Except for the issue with Q2 and You explaining that this board is so much different, I haven't been able to see any kind of instruction like "...use this or that input signal and test this or that..." or similar.

Yeah. that I remember, but thought you should have contacted me when you got the board to first let me know you have it, then I would have mention which direction to go in as you indicated, we had already discussed.

But not hearing from you, I sent Wolfman a PM and he responded soon after saying you got last week and will be posting your findings soon. And that surely happened, so at what point should I have mention what to look for since you were already aware that it was different. And I then post asking a few questions after your posting, and you never answered the one where I asked about the edge on the menu. But you later post more of YOUR testing. So since this is so unusual to me I thought it best to send another board to Wolfman.

Normally a tester would stay within your testing request and anything beyond that would be discussed either email or PM. It would be hard to evaluate that board because it works best with the neck boards that go with it. Mixing it with other version neck boards and sources is a very difficult thing, that even I would have to think about what would be the best way to go. Even the Moone is different than the stock version, because it has been modified for that video chain.

I'm sending him another one and he has already been informed on this, so we'll deal with this doing something different, because it's really not a good idea to test that VIM using anything other than the special boards that it supposed to work with. So that is the best reason to call this off

Again thank you. I know you meant well, but I mainly was trying to figure out the distortion issue (text and menu stuff). I knew everything else would have been very difficult to do on another setup.
barclay66

TV/Projector: Marquee 9500 Ultra

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

This never was about trying to use the VIM to its full potential. You've stated several times in the past that the VIM is one of at least three components in a fine-tuned video chain and that mixing it with stock boards or other mods would most likely result in anything but a fine picture. Rest assured that I was completely aware of this. My single goal was to verify the strange results that thewolfman had experienced regarding inverted colors and odd-looking menus (examples below). Having the VIM tested in a controlled environment -even without modified neck boards and Moome card- did certainly deliver enough results for anyone knowing what to look for.
And as You wrote that this VIM has a much lower video level, the difference in brightness is explained and just part of a normal behavior.
Well, I think that we now can rule out that the VIM is responsible for the effects seen on thewolfman's screen shots, especially since replacing Q2. I even would go further and say that the VIM is now working just as it is expected to do. Maybe even better as the menus appear undisturbed.
I will be sending it back to him and as part of a lesson learned I will refrain from offering any kind of testing or similar in the future. At least as long as it is related to any of Your modded boards...

Regards,
barclay66

Inverted_colors.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  138.27 KB
 Viewed:  4467 Time(s)

Inverted_colors.jpg

Bad_menu_modded_VIM_02.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  88.66 KB
 Viewed:  4468 Time(s)

Bad_menu_modded_VIM_02.jpg

View user's photo album (25 photos)
mp20748

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, I think this started off wrong with things not being made clear in the beginning. Mostly my fault, but still your testing was a big help, because I'm in a much better place now to understanding what's going on with his setup.

I've thought a many time to ask you to test some boards for me, but with you being on the other side of the pond I never got around to asking. And with you being the only person I know that can do technical evaluations that also own a marquee and have a good understanding on the projector you would have been perfect for any testing. Some years back when Scott at VDC had a marquee rig in his lab, I would send boards to him. He no longer has a marquee in his lab so that ended.

It's only rare these days that I'll need any testing, because everything CRT has slowed down and I'm not doing as much as before. And things are different since getting my test bed marquee operational again and that also allowed me to wonders with my last work.

I may still need you to test something for me one day and it would be an entirely different situation.
thewolfman

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Jorge for your testing and fixing the Q2! I'll PM you about shipping details and a little something for your efforts.

But the board is still unacceptable in my eyes, with being to bright and pale now, as shown in the Jorge's images. But we worked out a plan on some changes on the exchange board, so thanks to MP as well for working with me on making this right.
mp20748

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thewolfman wrote:

But the board is still unacceptable in my eyes, with being to bright and pale now, as shown in the Jorge's images

You can't use his setup to make that determination. There are too many variables required. You can't just insert a VIM and display an image.

The propose of his testing was to look the distorted text and check Q2 to see if it was shorted and could cause the a dim image. If changing Q2 did not effect the image, then Q2 was ruled out. Using that VIM on his neck boards was not a good test to determine i the image was DIM. that version boards as I've also explained to you ARE not as bright as other boards. So in comparison, they would be dimmer, but at the same time, the only way to see what's what, would require the neck boards and Moome.... but that was not why the VIM was sent to him by itself

That same video chain in my Marquee the G2 levels were near 50 bright 50 contrast 75
thewolfman

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mp20748 wrote:
thewolfman wrote:

But the board is still unacceptable in my eyes, with being to bright and pale now, as shown in the Jorge's images

You can't use his setup to make that determination. There are too many variables required. You can't just insert a VIM and display an image.

The propose of his testing was to look the distorted text and check Q2 to see if it was shorted and could cause the a dim image. If changing Q2 did not effect the image, then Q2 was ruled out. Using that VIM on his neck boards was not a good test to determine i the image was DIM. that version boards as I've also explained to you ARE not as bright as other boards. So in comparison, they would be dimmer, but at the same time, the only way to see what's what, would require the neck boards and Moome.... but that was not why the VIM was sent to him by itself

That same video chain in my Marquee the G2 levels were near 50 bright 50 contrast 75

Oh Yes, I forgot about the matching VNB to further test with a working VIM, I'll do that soon so we'll know.
thewolfman

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barclay66 wrote:
Hi,

This never was about trying to use the VIM to its full potential. You've stated several times in the past that the VIM is one of at least three components in a fine-tuned video chain and that mixing it with stock boards or other mods would most likely result in anything but a fine picture.

Rest assured that I was completely aware of this.

My single goal was to verify the strange results that thewolfman had experienced regarding inverted colors and odd-looking menus (examples below). Having the VIM tested in a controlled environment -even without modified neck boards and Moome card- did certainly deliver enough results for anyone knowing what to look for.
And as You wrote that this VIM has a much lower video level, the difference in brightness is explained and just part of a normal behavior.
Well, I think that we now can rule out that the VIM is responsible for the effects seen on thewolfman's screen shots, especially since replacing Q2. I even would go further and say that the VIM is now working just as it is expected to do. Maybe even better as the menus appear undisturbed.
I will be sending it back to him and as part of a lesson learned I will refrain from offering any kind of testing or similar in the future. At least as long as it is related to any of Your modded boards...

Regards,
barclay66

I'm puzzeled about your none commuication over the e-mail I sent you today asking for your Paypal-adress to cover your cost over this + shipping. But to my surpise I got no answer..
barclay66

TV/Projector: Marquee 9500 Ultra

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but sometimes I have to do other things too. I think that it's called 'life' or something similar... Wink
View user's photo album (25 photos)
thewolfman

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barclay66 wrote:
Sorry, but sometimes I have to do other things too. I think that it's called 'life' or something similar... Wink

I should have handled it better. Sorry!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6
Jump to: